Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Current favorite pedals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Current favorite pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 05:04 AM
TheChief

Bikes: 1982 Florida Trek 710 Campy SR, 2016 Veendam Trek Ibiza, 1983 Zullo frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gary Fischer branded

A few years ago I picked up a set of Gary Fisher branded Wellgo k20410 pedals. These are not your top-of-the-line pedals and they are advertised as not accepting toe-clips. After riding them for a while I noticed the slots for straps.

You can see light reflecting off the crank arm through the strap slot. This is a new Wellgo k20410 not Gray Fisher branded and without the bolted reflectors. I had to drill this pedal set for the toe clips.

That got me thinking that they put these together backwards: right hand pedal on left hand axle and left hang pedal on right hand axle. On these particular pedals, as assembled at the factory, the reflectors were bolted to the back side of the pedals - exactly lining up with toe clip slots. I disassembled these, switched the pedals on the axles, put them back together with new grease, installed my half clips, and ended up with a really nice wide pedal set.

This is the Gary Fisher branded pedal on my Veendam Trek. Note the strap slot and the slopping shape of the platform.

The new, unbranded Wellgo k20410, pedals as I "fixed" them.

I like these pedals because they are wide and very accommodating to different street type shoes - non-cleated shoes.

I had photos of these pedals, but I am not allowed to post photos until I have X number of posts. Sorry about that - these are really interesting pedals that do take toe clips with a little help.
Old 07-23-19, 08:05 AM
folkliv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Birkenstock sandals and toe clip strap delight!

Heres a negative case study for all: 8 weeks ago I stopped and was swinging my right leg over the saddle to dismount. My Birkenstock sandal's top strap snagged on the toe clip strap, then my foot hit the saddle, and I fell down sideways across a curb. Broke my left femur about 2 inches below the hip joint.....fun times! The Ortho crew put in a titanium pin and two anchor screws. It is healing okay now. Riding the recumbent exercise bike. Still cycles of pain but have stopped pain meds and using a crutch. Moral? Obvious, I hope. And now I'm changing to flat pedals for most of my riding. At 78, I want to continue riding until......?
Be careful out there!
Originally Posted by canklecat
Check a recent thread by Tyrion asking about platform pedals. Lot of recommendations there. I'm leaning toward either an iSSi Stomp, which is not a classic looking pedal, and other larger platforms.

I use clipless on my road bikes (I can ride 20-30 miles in the country with few or no stops), but prefer platforms for my hybrids and city rides. I use those for errands and casual group rides. I prefer free-footing in traffic. Almost every group ride I see someone fall because they didn't unclip in time. My old bones don't bounce anymore so I prefer free-footing in areas with lots of stops. And my shoes vary from lightweight summer deck shoes to heavy winter boots. With platforms I only need to adjust the saddle height a bit to compensate.

If you just want a good pedal to try for awhile, check out the Stolen Brand Thermolites. They're plastic and excellent values at only $15-$20. I've nearly worn out a pair after 3 years and the only reason I'm replacing 'em is because they aren't really designed to be overhauled. But I liked 'em well enough to get something similar that can be maintained over the long run. The old pair of Thermolites will go on my errand bike, which usually gets ridden only a few miles a month for groceries, etc.
Old 07-23-19, 11:51 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by drbarney1
I got these on ebay cheap. for commuting to the grocery store they are very comfortable and green always was my favorite color and when I was informed of a reliable rumor that some executives of Phillip Morris find green offensive because they think anyone who likes it is immoral, I want more of it.
I'm with Philip Morris when it comes to green pedals.
Old 07-23-19, 09:42 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
MKS lambda; they look, well, different but they offer a terrific platform for most any kind of shoe you might ride in.
Seconded. I like them. They work even with my super sift shoes. I think they are sort or weird looking, but generally look great on a steel bike with classic lines and thinner tubes. And some chrome accents.
Old 07-24-19, 06:19 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
I ran the Phil platforms on my custom Veloce in the mid '80s til I finally caved in a went with SPDs. Great pedal, but the aluminum toe clips I had attached to them failed. My all-time favs are the Lyotard type 23 Berthet platforms. I have them on both of my Moto Le Champions and a Grand Record, plus a spare set. I like to ride frequently in street shoes and they are comfortable for that.
Old 07-24-19, 07:34 AM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
MKS "Sylvan Touring Next": comfortable, sufficiently grippy in the wet, extraordinarily low friction.
Likes For microcord:
Old 07-24-19, 11:30 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Most of the time I prefer a really aggressive downhill pedal . My current favorite is the Specialized Bennies they pins which are super aggressive and your feet stay planted.

they are very hard on shoes though so factor that in . The remained of the time I have some SPD Pedals that I run. I don’t car for road setups like look or the Shimano road SPD pedals. The ability to walk off the bike is important for me