Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fenders beyond commuting.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fenders beyond commuting.

Old 07-01-19, 12:13 PM
LeonWebster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a time when I didn't use fenders. But over time, I figured out that fenders work well on my commuting bike. Then I figured out that they are good on touring bikes for those rainy days, even for the bikes that are used on week-long supported tours. Fenders can make a damp day much more pleasant. Now there are only two bikes that don't have fenders. One is a "go fast" bike for the club day rides. The other is my 1981 Centurion Pro Tour, just because it is a re-creation of my original Pro Tour that didn't have fenders.

A friend who lives in the Pacific North West explained the difference between "me" fenders and "we" fenders. "Me" fenders keep the rider clean and <sometimes> dry. "We" fenders keep the spray off the rider behind me as well. I like Planet Bike Cascadia fenders.
Old 07-01-19, 12:42 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Just a note on VO metal fenders:

They are a major pain to install. I bought a pair to replace an 18 year old SKS plastic fender that had cracked. After about 6 hours over two days, the rear fender is on -- the old front fender is slightly cracked, but not falling off. It takes two or three people to do it right: remove wheel, mount fender, mark, reinstall wheel, re-mark, remove wheel, unmount fender, cut fender stays (long), remount fender, install wheel, adjust chain line, check fender mark, remove wheel, unmount fender, drill, install fender, cross fingers, reinstall wheel, remove wheel, cut fender stays to final length, reinstall wheel, done.

I should have bought a new SKS set. Put the fenders on, cut the fender stays to length, file the stay ends, done. And you saved five hours for a nice long bike ride!
Old 07-01-19, 04:55 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb

They are a major pain to install. I bought a pair to replace an 18 year old SKS plastic fender that had cracked. After about 6 hours over two days, the rear fender is on -- the old front fender is slightly cracked, but not falling off. It takes two or three people to do it right: remove wheel, mount fender, mark, reinstall wheel, re-mark, remove wheel, unmount fender, cut fender stays (long), remount fender, install wheel, adjust chain line, check fender mark, remove wheel, unmount fender, drill, install fender, cross fingers, reinstall wheel, remove wheel, cut fender stays to final length, reinstall wheel, done.

I should have bought a new SKS set. Put the fenders on, cut the fender stays to length, file the stay ends, done. And you saved five hours for a nice long bike ride!
But they look marvelous!
Old 07-02-19, 09:28 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb

Buy the pre-drilled version, it's a good bit less trouble to install.
Old 07-03-19, 04:12 AM
tweekfreekdX
Title-less

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, and what’s left from my childhood

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Well the fenders arrived, finally got to see them in person. I was not a huge fan of the set up process. I returned the fenders and found some Portland design works fenders on sale for $15 more. I set them up last night, they will need a small amount of tweaking (lol). I adjusted my rack and for the most part got the fenders installed. Test ride to work today. It is on a cross check so I wonder how bad my toe overlap will be. I appreciate all the support and input! I’ll keep you guys posted hopefully a pic soon!
Likes For tweekfreekdX:
Old 07-03-19, 09:05 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I was reading old thread which some people said that some plastic fenders can get kicked into the tire (toe-overlap) and sucked into the fork, thereby lock up the front wheel and send the rider over the h'bar.
It is probably more of an issue on knobby mtb tires.
But I wouldn't rule it out for roadbikes with treads.
Fenders work best on bikes that aren't ridden through brush piles.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-09-19, 06:56 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I've never had problems with fenders, in use or fitting. Four of my bikes have them. I've done thousands of miles. Currently using 3.5ins wide stainless cruiser fenders on a full suspension bike, i run it down flights of stairs and through the woods.
My only dislike is the racket they make on wet gravel, but it beats having my face pebble-dashed.
Old 07-20-19, 10:51 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I find fenders can be both functional and quite handsome

Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 07-21-19, 05:08 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Fenders are a must in the NW!

Fenders are a must as I live in the NW. We get lots and lots of rain here. I do have a sporty bike without them but it is only ridden in nice mid summer days. I really think they look okay as most cyclists here have them.
Old 07-21-19, 08:35 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
Your floor and rug look immaculate. You must wash and dry your tires before bringing the bikes in!

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
One of my best bikes is a custom road fix gear with a very long dropout. The rear fender is cut at the brake bridge. The rear piece got modified further. I cut the fender sides in two places, straightened it out a bit, then fiberglassed the inside to maintain that new shape and increase stiffness. Now I can slide that rear wheel anywhere and never contact the fender. I can ride that Portland hills now using both a 23 tooth cog to go up and a 12 to come down and never mess with the fender. (SKS silver. Not a bad match for a ti frame.)

Ben
This sounds quite interesting. Can you post a photo or two please? Thanks!
Old 07-21-19, 09:01 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
I find fenders can be both functional and quite handsome
Hand painted fenders to match the bike? Looks great.
Old 07-22-19, 07:51 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Many bikes look good without fenders.

Many bikes look good with fenders.

Generally speaking, I lean more towards the stripped-down, lean and mean aesthetic for bicycles. However, in the world of bike commuting, I am a 100% "form follows function" kinda guy.

The practical utility of fenders for me as an all-weather bike commuter in Chicago FAR outweighs any aesthetic misgivings I might have for them.
Old 08-04-19, 06:36 PM
schiavonec

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have them on my mtn bike converted commuter and think they look fine on top of doing a job. i just put a cf fork on my cross bike and my old fender won't fit.

i think the right fender on a bike can look good, and some such as hammered ss, or wood look classy on steel. ymmv
Old 08-04-19, 07:19 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
I like hammered aluminum vo.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-19-19, 12:01 PM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Full fenders aren't just for sloppy rainy days, I recently put on fenders on a 20" mini velo that I keep at work for biking from our main building to a satellite building in the same office park. Right in front of our building is a permanent mucky puddle on the asphalt trail that I use to get to the other building that never dries out so I had to traverse it really slowly sans fender. Then I installed fenders. Now I just plow through the mucky puddle with reckless abandon without getting the bike or myself wet.

A set of full fenders are permanently affixed to my old 26" MTB commuter and I'll eventually install removable fenders when I remember to order them.
Old 08-19-19, 05:48 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
Full fenders aren't just for sloppy rainy days, I recently put on fenders on a 20" mini velo that I keep at work for biking from our main building to a satellite building in the same office park. Right in front of our building is a permanent mucky puddle on the asphalt trail that I use to get to the other building that never dries out so I had to traverse it really slowly sans fender. Then I installed fenders. Now I just plow through the mucky puddle with reckless abandon without getting the bike or myself wet.

A set of full fenders are permanently affixed to my old 26" MTB commuter and I'll eventually install removable fenders when I remember to order them.
Also, dusty roads are a good reason to have fenders as well. I notice a lot of little rocks on my commute that bounce right off my fenders instead of me and my frame.
Old 08-20-19, 10:28 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
+1 @jade408; just this morning I hit some small gravel that pinged off my front fender rather than my face.
Likes For Korina:
Old 08-30-19, 03:05 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
To my eye a bike isn't complete without fenders, dynamo hub, lights, and a front rack. These things are always nice to have, and sometimes essential. I realize this is a function of the kind of riding I do. As for the aesthetics, once you get into that "bike must have fenders" mindset, you get to like the look.

As mentioned, they can be difficult to set up. More accurately, setting them up is a skill that one needs to acquire like any other. I'm sure that's a big part of why you don't see them much in a country where bikes are regarded as toys that only come out in nice weather.
Likes For rhm:
Old 09-05-19, 06:00 PM
Illgot

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Walk into a bike shop, or go on-line and look at new bikes, or observe all the bikes you see around the world on the streets, paths, in races, etc., and the overwhelming majority don't have fenders. There's your consensus.
I'm not saying fenders aren't a good product that serve their purpose well, all I did was express an opinion that they look goofy. No question, they are justifiably popular with daily commuters, and that they keep your bike and clothes cleaner (again, already stipulated).
They also don't have bike lights, racks, panniers, or computers. The lack of something doesn't prove how popular an item is when cost is an issue.

Most bikes I see around town have proper dry rusty chains, thinning tires, and covered in dirt. It doesn't mean rusty chains are popular.
Old 09-06-19, 02:28 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Your floor and rug look immaculate. You must wash and dry your tires before bringing the bikes in!

This sounds quite interesting. Can you post a photo or two please? Thanks!
No, just use a rumba weekly. Not much rain here in the summer. I park my bikes outside for use and bring them in when I'm riding other bikes.
Old 09-06-19, 06:52 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Put me down as fenders on at least one of my bikes. I learned their value when I rode a bike at work.

Old 09-08-19, 07:10 AM
tweekfreekdX
Title-less

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, and what’s left from my childhood

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Fender update!

Exactly as you guys said, definitely beneficial and make the bike look complete. Here in Iowa we had some pretty heavy rains that flooded the creek and trail I commute on. Made it to work and home with a much cleaner bike. Probably my best purchase for the bike next to my saddle. I have also received quite a few compliments on the fenders from those who ride. Thanks again!
Likes For tweekfreekdX:
Old 09-08-19, 12:29 PM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Really appeciate fenders when riding through the homeless area or past the duck/goose ponds. You never know what that puddle contains.
Likes For Lug:
Old 09-29-19, 07:11 PM
Redman1959

Bikes: Several Road and Mtn Bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am an old guy. Raced bikes in the mid to late 80's and just love bicycles. I moved to Beijing in 1995 and bought a bike for commuting 26km to the plant. The bike was beautiful in a very utilitarian way. My daughter went to college and she took my Beijing bike. It went everywhere around town and campus, hauling books, groceries, take out. She loved the fenders. She recently moved to Northern VA and used the bike to explore on weekends and after work, to shop and to exercise. Tonight she called and told me her bike was stolen. She is looking for a replacement and we discussed fenders, bell, rear rack etc. I can't wait to hear what she buys to replace the stolen bike. I recommended police auctions and then getting the bike set up at a LBS. Fenders are definitely the way to go in wet conditions where you want to arrive comfortable and dry.

I also had a bike poncho I bought in China that fastened to your hands and could button up the sides depending on how much rain and where the wind was coming from. I have never see one like it except in China. Pure genius.
Likes For Redman1959:
Old 10-02-19, 09:26 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I got my recumbent when I was living in the Seattle area. Fenders there are a must, unless you really enjoy the spray in your face, feet, and up your back. It's worse on a recumbent, because the spray from the rear tire gets you in the back of the head instead of just your back.

Now, I have a velomobile for adverse weather, it's the ultimate all around fender.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.