Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Cassette?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Cassette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-20, 07:58 PM
eagletree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I left it to the LBS to come up with the least expensive combo so I'm not sure which deraileur I'll actually get. The way the Shimano site is laid out, is very confusing, you have to click on the technology name and then you can get to the full series of 105 parts, but the link for 105s has almost nothing under it. Once in there though, there are very detailed specs on what all of their deraileurs can support.

I can't imagine an 11-25 or even 11-27 given that the 28 has me constantly clicking to the next non-existent gear. I can't imagine the strength it would take to spin one of those up to 80 RPM on a steep grade. I rather doubt my younger self would have been able to do it either.
Old 02-14-20, 05:02 PM
eagletree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I thought I'd show you the new bits that came out of this thread. It's the new 11-32, chain and a medium derailleur. The chain might have worked, but I've ridden too much in rain and sanded roads and it wasn't appropriate to put a new cassette in with a marginal chain. Just have to put my good skewer back in and I'm about to take it out and try a ride, which I'm sure will be great. Indeed I also will get to try the new Powertap P2 pedals in the same maiden voyage. I've been using on it inside for the trainer, they feel quite amazing compared to my old SPDs and MTB shoes, so I think I'm going to like them on the road.

11-32 and Medium Derailleur