Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Harpers Ferry pedestrian bridge closed

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 12-24-19, 09:40 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts

I post this here only because several folks who post in this subforum are located in this area. A CSX train derailed on the freight bridge over the Potomac at Harpers Ferry, and the pedestrian bridge that crosses the Potomac was destroyed (at least in that part where the train derailed), and is closed indefinitely. This impacts a lot of local tourism and R&R activities. This is the only Appalachian Trail crossing over the Potomac, so hikers will likely try to cross on the US-340 bridge (which is not supportive of pedestrians as I recall). Or call shuttles to get them across the river. I've walked across the bridge when biking the C&O before, for refreshments or a stretch of the legs.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...fects-c-o.html

Though the bridge closure is "indefinite", I have to believe there are a lot of stakeholders who want that bridge re-opened, at least before the spring tourism season starts, so financial support probably won't be a problem.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 12-24-19, 11:08 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
This may sound terrible but it'll be nice to have the bridge closed for a bit. The tourists along that stretch can make running or riding along the C&O annoying at times. They don't realize they're on a multi-use trail, they don't know about trail etiquette (e.g., have no idea what "on your left" means), they don't give way even when you're coming straight at them, etc.
Old 12-25-19, 08:01 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
It's a fair drive from Louisville, so won't be there any time soon. But thanks for posting. A good friend, closer to there, hosts many biking, hiking, kayaking events, so I forwarded the notification. Enjoyed that area and visited often when we lived in MD. We once had a crane (maybe a heron) fly along the C&O canal with us (on bikes) for a hundred yards or so-not something I'll forget!
Old 12-25-19, 09:21 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylander
This may sound terrible but it'll be nice to have the bridge closed for a bit. The tourists along that stretch can make running or riding along the C&O annoying at times. They don't realize they're on a multi-use trail, they don't know about trail etiquette (e.g., have no idea what "on your left" means), they don't give way even when you're coming straight at them, etc.
I so very much agree, the tourists do not at all move over for bicyclists...but it is a tourist type of area. It could very well impact Harpers Ferry tourism, since so many people park at Harpers Ferry to go view Maryland Heights and the surrounding area. So I'm doubting it will be closed for very long. I'm betting it will be open this coming spring.
Old 12-25-19, 04:22 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Similar thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...fects-c-o.html
Old 07-02-20, 05:59 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)