Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wireless Headphones for Trainer Rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 12:40 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking for recommendations for wireless headphones to wear while riding indoors on the trainer. I usually watch a movie, TV, or sufferfest videos on my computer while I ride. I have to turn the volume up pretty loud to hear the sound over the two fans and trainer. I live in an apartment and am worried I'll get complaints from my neighbors if I keep it up or switch my riding to mornings instead of evenings. Not to mention the other half would probably appreciate not having to turn the TV in the main room up while I ride.

My constraints:
1) Must go 10-15 feet source to headphones.
2) Must be stereo. Sound quality doesn't have to be great, I'm on a trainer not in a movie theater.
3) $50-$75 max.
4) Prefer earbuds as I assume over-the-ear type would do nothing but fill up with sweat.

If no one has any good suggestions I can always fall back to a long extension cord and some old ipod earbuds but I'd rather not be tethered.

Thanks
Old 02-07-11, 01:07 PM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a pair of Sennheisers, RS120 or something. they work well, but are over-the-ear so they get sweaty.

I also tried a pair of Motorola S9HD, which are bluetooth stereo headphones, but don't work for ish even though i'm about 6ft from my TV.
Old 02-07-11, 01:09 PM
kaimat
Who is Lance Armstrong?

Bikes: 2018 CAAD 12

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my re0's attached to an extension cord so I can watch nature documentaries on my tv lol. It's kinda ghetto, but I zip tied the cord to the handlebars so that I have lots of room to move my head. The headphone cable doesn't get in my way when I ride. Plus this costs like $2 compared to $50.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but at least you know what someone else does.
Old 02-07-11, 01:25 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just got the Motorola S10-HD bluetooth earphones so I can listen to my iPod on the trainer without dealing with the cables. It works tolerably well. Sound quality is nowhere near that of earbuds, but it's completely sweatproof and having no cords to deal with is pretty sweet. The range is pretty good as well. I can leave the iPod in the garage next to where I am riding, and go inside all the way to the kitchen (some 50 feet or so) and not have too much breakup.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 02-07-11, 01:29 PM
IKYR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get yourself a bluetooth A2DP receiver...eg. the Sony model or the Jabra Clipper. I have the older Jabra Bt3030, works great with my phone, ipod, pc, etc and I can use my sennheiser earbuds with it...

wayne
Old 02-07-11, 01:33 PM
Inertianinja

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
I just got the Motorola S10-HD bluetooth earphones so I can listen to my iPod on the trainer without dealing with the cables. It works tolerably well. Sound quality is nowhere near that of earbuds, but it's completely sweatproof and having no cords to deal with is pretty sweet. The range is pretty good as well. I can leave the iPod in the garage next to where I am riding, and go inside all the way to the kitchen (some 50 feet or so) and not have too much breakup.
like i said i have the S9HD - mine will cut out if I have my iphone as far as my jersey pocket. i'm emailing motorola right now.
Old 02-07-11, 02:21 PM
03FinestAL
I'm Melting.....

Bikes: Like everyone else, this changes from time to time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inertianinja
like i said i have the S9HD - mine will cut out if I have my iphone as far as my jersey pocket. i'm emailing motorola right now.
I use the S9HD with my Moto DX with no issues. I usually put the phone in a Bento box in front of me so that I can just reach down and skip through songs as I am watching my TV (on mute).

I have tested it up to about 20 feet away so far without losing reception. Of course as you point out YMMV...
Old 02-07-11, 02:24 PM
Inertianinja

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03FinestAL
I use the S9HD with my Moto DX with no issues. I usually put the phone in a Bento box in front of me so that I can just reach down and skip through songs as I am watching my TV (on mute).

I have tested it up to about 20 feet away so far without losing reception. Of course as you point out YMMV...
(sorry to derail, OP)
i just went through motorola's tech support. they're going to swap out my S9HD; i tried to get them to give me S10HD since this is apparently a common problem with the S9HD, but he wouldn't. whatevs
Old 02-07-11, 02:36 PM
thcri

Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the MOTOROKR S305 by Motorola. They worked great with my Blackberry. Now that I have a Droid X I experience some cutting out. I have unpaired them and repaired them a couple of times but they still do it. It seems if I keep the phone on the other side of the room from where I am working out I have no problems. It is only when they are close to each other where there is trouble. All in all though the cutting out is not a big deal to me. What I do like about them is I can control my phone from them, no cables and fit over my ear.