Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Diet & Nutrition for Optimal Health

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 11-26-20, 09:08 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts

Title says it all. What does your consist of? What do you avoid?

Ever since I began weight lifting, my diet started to change very gradually.

At first i would prep large meals and started eating twice as much. Then I slowly began cutting out foods which I think are unhealthy (my body simply began to reject them) until one day, I realized that I sort of became a picky eater...

My diet consists of too much meat (should definitely try to cut down)

-psuedo grains such as buckwheat, millet, amaranth, quinoa, Teff, sorghum etc etc

-Beans and legumes

-lots of nuts and seeds

-Fruits and veggies particularly spinach and kale which is loaded with nutrients.

in the last year I've just about entirely cut out stuff such as rice, pasta, non black bread, most types of dairy, and sugary stuff including fruit juices etc.

I'm a big fan of goats milk and goat cheese, but thats about it for dairy. With GMO being so common these days, stuff like rice pasta and regular store bread is so devoid of nutrition and simply downright disgusting. I don't mind a little bit of Asian rice here and there, but very rarely and only in small portions. I've cut out take out and dine ins almost entirely.

I have to admit, nothing like some real homemade bread. Though. That's what I miss the most.

As for sweets, I just don't get that same craving and rush from eating it like I used to. Other than occasional dark chocolate, and once in a blue moon, a good dessert, I pretty much completely avoid sugar with zero issues. I actually found some of those Dutch caramel filled toasted waffles in my cupboard the other day. Had to be the first time I've enjoyed an actual dessert in a very, very long time. Even then the package will last me almost 2 months and I will only eat it with some nuts as the sugar helps me digest more.
Old 11-26-20, 09:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Greek diet. Fresh veges, fruit, seafood, nuts, olive oil, red wine, pasta and good bread.

Old 11-26-20, 09:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,928 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Title says it all. What does your consist of? What do you avoid?

Ever since I began weight lifting, my diet started to change very gradually.

At first i would prep large meals and started eating twice as much. Then I slowly began cutting out foods which I think are unhealthy (my body simply began to reject them) until one day, I realized that I sort of became a picky eater...

My diet consists of too much meat (should definitely try to cut down)

-psuedo grains such as buckwheat, millet, amaranth, quinoa, Teff, sorghum etc etc

-Beans and legumes

-lots of nuts and seeds

-Fruits and veggies particularly spinach and kale which is loaded with nutrients.

in the last year I've just about entirely cut out stuff such as rice, pasta, non black bread, most types of dairy, and sugary stuff including fruit juices etc.

I'm a big fan of goats milk and goat cheese, but thats about it for dairy. With GMO being so common these days, stuff like rice pasta and regular store bread is so devoid of nutrition and simply downright disgusting. I don't mind a little bit of Asian rice here and there, but very rarely and only in small portions. I've cut out take out and dine ins almost entirely.

I have to admit, nothing like some real homemade bread. Though. That's what I miss the most.

As for sweets, I just don't get that same craving and rush from eating it like I used to. Other than occasional dark chocolate, and once in a blue moon, a good dessert, I pretty much completely avoid sugar with zero issues. I actually found some of those Dutch caramel filled toasted waffles in my cupboard the other day. Had to be the first time I've enjoyed an actual dessert in a very, very long time. Even then the package will last me almost 2 months and I will only eat it with some nuts as the sugar helps me digest more.
You do realize that BF has subforums, right?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-26-20, 09:43 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
yeast, hops & barley in moderation.
Old 11-26-20, 10:24 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
Whiskey (Canadian), red wine, and cigarettes. All in copious quantities. After all, it's always 5 o'clock somewhere.

I supplement these essential nutrients -- in themselves of course perfectly capable of sustaining human life -- with red meat, preferrably cooked over a high heat w/butter (no olive oil), accompanied by bread. For breakfast? Fried eggs, bacon, and toast w/drippings.

I find that this regimen plugs energy leaks, improves power transfer when cycling, and contributes greatly to an overall excellent quality of life.
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-27-20, 04:02 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't avoid anything...I eat all types of different food and don't follow any special diets.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-27-20, 04:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
All things in moderation,
Likes For bruce19:
Old 11-27-20, 04:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
I’m going to let you in on a big secret. White wine braised rabbit with Dijon FTW!

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-27-20, 04:57 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
yeast, hops & barley in moderation.
Liquid bread after a ride is great at plugging energy leaks.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-27-20, 05:04 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
See food diet. I abandoned training for the tour.
Old 11-27-20, 05:55 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
My daughter started weight lifting aobut 3 years ago and became focused on power lifting competition. She became a food nazi. Controlled her diet down to the ounce in volume and the food stuffs she consumed. Then she met a health nut who put fat back into her diet and simple sugars. My own experience in the gym started last fall. Cut out soda pops and feel much better. The rest of the diet has stayed the same except for salty snacks and lower volume of food intake. Seems weight lifting has curbed my hunger. Not sure how that works, but I ain't complaining.
Old 11-27-20, 09:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
moved here from General Cycling
Old 11-27-20, 12:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
I've been eating an ovo-lacto-pisco-vegetarian diet for over 50 years and almost all organic. So far, so good. We don't eat meat. This is basically a meatless version of the Med diet. Can we postulate that this has been well-tested? We eat a lot of WW bread. Now that we're retired, it's all home made. We use some sugar, mostly before workouts, sometimes after. We use sugar in the deserts we make for when we have company, back in the day when we could. I'm trying to drink more milk, though we go through a fair bit of yogurt. Almost no alcohol. We eat all the carbs: rice, wheat, oats, barley, etc. We do the plate thing: 1/2 vegetables, 1/4 carbs, 1/4 protein. Not that way, but we combine things to get about those proportions in our daily diet.

We get a good bit of protein in our diet, though we have to supplement with whey protein to recover from daily workouts. The meat-eating thing would be different if we had to chase it down and kill it with a spear, but we don't do that. We don't believe in the meat fairy. Otherwise, we eat a wide variety of foods - variety is healthy.

We've been gym members since 1979, trying to lift once or twice a week. Now that they're closed, we use dumbbells at home. Otherwise, we ride, including a tandem, ski, hike, backpack, walk, and even sometimes run. Other than my wife's asthma, which has steadily been getting better for these 47 years, neither of us have had a serious illness, broken any bones, etc. I had some sciatica this past summer, but exercised it away. My BMI is 23.5.
Old 11-27-20, 12:13 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

If you care about your diet, gotta ensure you get a good intake of carbs and fats as well, not just protein.,

Stuff like nuts seeds wild fish etc have very healthy fat for you
Old 11-27-20, 12:14 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by badger1
Whiskey (Canadian), red wine, and cigarettes. All in copious quantities. After all, it's always 5 o'clock somewhere.
Lmfao.
Old 11-10-21, 02:10 AM
benhlth

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have anyone tried the keto diet?
Old 11-12-21, 01:20 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 252 Posts
My weakness is red wine. I lost a bunch of weight 3 years ago. 160 lbs to be exact. I go on the premise that the most healthy diet will be the most varied in high nutrition foods and still have the least amount of processed chemicals. I play a 10 lb game with myself now where sometimes I indulge in things I know aren't optimal but only go so far. When I gain 10 lbs I will fast or go radically low carbs to get those pounds back off. It's a lot easier and more fun to gain than to loose. I can gain 10 lbs. in 3 days of stupid and lose it in 3 weeks of intensity. You just do the best you can and still enjoy some life in my experience.