Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kmart AllPro bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Kmart AllPro bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 09:23 PM
duane041
Junk Collector

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 2012 Colnago M10, 1990 Schwinn CrissCross

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kmart AllPro bike

I have a hard time not taking a bike that is free. But I did just that. I got offered a men's 26" Kmart AllPro cruiser. 3 spd, Chrome fenders, a small springy rack on the back, lovely vinyl seat, etc etc etc. But I just couldn't do it. This thing isn't worth anything, right? I didn't give away the goldmine, did I? I just can't imagine a bicycle emblazoned with "K Mart" on the headtube would be worth much.

Like I need another junk bike.
Old 09-28-05, 04:46 AM
Crazy-B

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It had to have had something of value on it. I purchased a Murray road bike Sunday, and for 3 dollars I got two good tires, a set of diacompe brakes, a SR stem, Sugino crankset, and a Suntour front and rear derailleur, all in near new condition.
Old 09-28-05, 07:02 AM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless your garage is already full, don't pass up free bikes. They always have use-able parts. To say the very least, you would have a spare set of wheels and tires, and even brake pads.

When I get bikes like that, I immediately strip them down, take the parts I think I might need (including the saddle and post), and toss the frame.
Old 09-28-05, 07:45 AM
Moonshot
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't want it do the work to get it operational, throw it in the back of your car and give it to the first needy person you see walking along the road. I guarantee you'll make someone's day!

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Likes For Moonshot:
Old 09-28-05, 07:18 PM
frameteam2003

Bikes: old,older.and very old

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Funny,I've had one for over 30 years---only bike I never worry about being stolen.
Old 09-28-05, 08:44 PM
duane041
Junk Collector

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 2012 Colnago M10, 1990 Schwinn CrissCross

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You'll be glad to know that the bike got a quickie tune-up (mostly brake work) and it's back at the Salvation Army. I know one of the guys that works there, and it kills him to see how many bikes they throw away because they aren't 'good enough'. A few weeks ago, I got an almost perfect (excepting the paint) 1982 Scwhinn Continental from him, one that he saved from the crusher. Weighs 39 pounds but this thing is near mint, and it was going into the trash!
With luck, someone will enjoy riding the K Mart special. I know I like that Schwinn.
Old 08-21-08, 06:17 PM
The Doctor
Weening off the car.

Bikes: 2008 Trek 7100, 1981 (?) Austro-Daimler Pacifica (unrestored)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is a VERY old thread, but I found an All-Pro bike in the garage of a house I just moved into. Looking it up, it seems that the men's All-Pro single speed was the bike ridden by the Cutters team in Breaking Away (what a great film!!).

I think I may fix it up and go draft behind a semi just to see if I can hit 60. After all, it worked in movie, it should work in real life... right?
Old 07-19-09, 04:41 PM
Rare440

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great old K-Mart All Pro Bikes!

Glad to see that there are folks out there who still ride a K-Mart All Pro bike, as I do. I got mine for my 12th birthday, June 15, 1979, and it's been my ride ever since. Still looks pretty good despite abuse in those early years and neglect in recent years. The only non-original part is the seat, which I changed in 1986. The original seat got chewed up by our dog the very first night I had the bike, and I rode it that way for a long time. Finally, when I was in college in '86 I decided to get a replacement. So I went to K-Mart and bought a Viscount seat in the same color. It's okay, but not nearly as comfortable as the original. Anyway, the bike has served me well, and I have no complaints! Here's a picture for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_3613.jpg (99.0 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-19-09, 04:48 PM
SingeDebile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd take it, worst case you just use the 3speed hub for something else... handlebars could be useful too
Old 07-19-09, 05:30 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Maybe it had a odd-sized seatpost - I was just looking for one - that would put some coins in your pocket.
Old 07-19-09, 06:43 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My roommate just got a ladies Kresge All-Pro. Kresge is K-Mart's pre 1970s name.

It's a pretty decent bike. She may have over-payed ($100), but she got it from the local used-bike shop, so it had new tires, tubes, brake cables. The trigger for the three speed is broken though so she has trouble keeping it in gear.

All told, pretty solid bike.
Old 07-19-09, 06:47 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets
My roommate just got a ladies Kresge All-Pro. Kresge is K-Mart's pre 1970s name.

It's a pretty decent bike. She may have over-payed ($100), but she got it from the local used-bike shop, so it had new tires, tubes, brake cables. The trigger for the three speed is broken though so she has trouble keeping it in gear.

All told, pretty solid bike.
Bought from a shop and the trigger is broken? I would return for a repair.
Old 07-19-09, 06:48 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Check the thread date folks.

Props to Rare440's ride though, reminds me of my Columbia.
Old 07-19-09, 06:55 PM
jtgotsjets

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Bought from a shop and the trigger is broken? I would return for a repair.
Not quite what it sounds like—the bike shop just moved and have relegated their old location to weekend sales of junker bikes. Basically the bikes that they've accumulated that aren't worth fixing up. Lots of $20-40 bikes with missing seats, broken brakes, flat tires, and also some $80-100 bikes that are rideable, if in bad shape. Basically no guarantees on anything, but there are some fairly rideable bikes there. I go every once in awhile just to check it out, see if there's anything worth picking up for parts. Not usually.

The one she got was nice enough to warrant putting new tires on, but little else.
Old 07-20-09, 04:25 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Not quite what it sounds like—the bike shop just moved and have relegated their old location to weekend sales of junker bikes. Basically the bikes that they've accumulated that aren't worth fixing up. Lots of $20-40 bikes with missing seats, broken brakes, flat tires, and also some $80-100 bikes that are rideable, if in bad shape. Basically no guarantees on anything, but there are some fairly rideable bikes there. I go every once in awhile just to check it out, see if there's anything worth picking up for parts. Not usually.

The one she got was nice enough to warrant putting new tires on, but little else.
Depending on which hub it has (Shimano or Sturmey-Archer) new triggers can be relatively inexpensive.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-20-09, 06:36 AM
jtgotsjets

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Depending on which hub it has (Shimano or Sturmey-Archer) new triggers can be relatively inexpensive.

Aaron
It's got the standard Sturmey Archer AW hub. Any ideas? I know my roommate would love to fix her bike.
Old 07-20-09, 06:52 AM
Lug Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Kresge All-Pro my Uncle bought around 1972- It was one of the first bikes
I remember that was a single-speed (coaster brake) but looked like a 10-speed
(drop bars)- I believe they were Murray-built- It was orange w/ shorty chrome
fenders- I rode the hell outta it!
Old 07-20-09, 05:15 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
It's got the standard Sturmey Archer AW hub. Any ideas? I know my roommate would love to fix her bike.
Ebay, Harris Cyclery, BikeToolsetc are a few that come to mind. If you have an LBS that has been around for quite a few years they may have one in the back for you.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon