Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Genesis Folding Bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Genesis Folding Bike

Old 06-07-14, 05:38 AM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Genesis Folding Bike

I searched and couldn't find mention of this bike.

20" Genesis, City Cruiser, Folding Bike, Green - Walmart.com

Yes, I realize it's a Walmart bike. But, the specs sound OK enough. I zoomed up the pics and it looks like this bike has some "real" parts on it, like Jagwire cable sheaths, alloy V-brakes, a 1-1/8 Ahead headset. Components seem reasonable for a first-time buyer especially at this low price point for a 28 lb bike (and no shipping charge and easy return policy).

Last edited by atombikes; 06-07-14 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-07-14, 02:29 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by atombikes
I searched and couldn't find mention of this bike.

20" Genesis, City Cruiser, Folding Bike, Green - Walmart.com

Yes, I realize it's a Walmart bike. But, the specs sound OK enough. I zoomed up the pics and it looks like this bike has some "real" parts on it, like Jagwire cable sheaths, alloy V-brakes, a 1-1/8 Ahead headset. Components seem reasonable for a first-time buyer especially at this low price point for a 28 lb bike (and no shipping charge and easy return policy).
i'm curious- why do you want a folding bike? how will you use it? etc..
Old 06-07-14, 04:38 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
i'm curious- why do you want a folding bike? how will you use it? etc..
For the next three months I am living out of hotels for my job (all at one location). It's a long enough duration (especially during summer months) that I want to have a bike, but not a long enough time to warrant shipping one from home. Since I am living in hotels, whatever I buy must be small and portable, and fit in a rental car.

At the end of this assignment, I have to get whatever I buy back home (by airline). Later I will use the bike by flying it on vacations (or other job assignments) with me.
Likes For atombikes:
Old 06-07-14, 07:59 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 184 Posts
It would be nice if this Genesis were a Dahon-killer, or Brompton-killer, or whatever. I doubt it, though I've not seen one up close.

Given the company's penchant for engineering mass-market non-folding bikes at an uber-cheap price point, I'd be careful with their folding bikes simply because they're probably not spending much R&D /QC there, and this folder probably represents a tiny fraction of their overall production. A squeaky / clunky / cheap folder is no fun. Any chance you can test ride one before purchasing?
Old 06-07-14, 10:20 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bargainguy
It would be nice if this Genesis were a Dahon-killer, or Brompton-killer, or whatever. I doubt it, though I've not seen one up close.

Given the company's penchant for engineering mass-market non-folding bikes at an uber-cheap price point, I'd be careful with their folding bikes simply because they're probably not spending much R&D /QC there, and this folder probably represents a tiny fraction of their overall production. A squeaky / clunky / cheap folder is no fun. Any chance you can test ride one before purchasing?
Well, it would be nice if this bike were as you described, but I'm not expecting it to be all that.

I have not found a place to try one, but since this is from Walmart, it's the next best thing- try it and if you don't like it, bring it back for a full refund. So it's very low risk.

I'm going to buy one to see what it's like, and will post pictures and report.
Old 06-08-14, 10:22 AM
jefmcg

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks very similar to the Decathlon (french sports store) folding bike.

BFOLD 7 Folding Bike, City Bike MATEX - All Bikes Cycling - On sale at Decathlon.co.uk

That's supposed to be a very decent budget bike.

Of course the Walmart one is differently spec'd and much cheaper, so who knows?

The assumption is the B'twin is a rebadged Dahon, but I don't know if that's true
Old 06-08-14, 11:31 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
I recommend a proven brand.
Origami Bicycle Company - Folding Bike, Folding Bicycle, Compact Bicycle, Lightweight Bicycles, Origami Crane, Origami Cricket, Origami Mantis, Shimano Freewheel, RevoShift Gear Changer, Quick-Release Axles, Aluminum Alloy Bicycles, Aluminum Frame Bi

Folding Bikes by Citizen Bike

Amazon.com : Melon Bicycles 5005239 Slice 20" Folding Bicycle, Red : Lightweight Folding Bike : Sports & Outdoors
Old 06-08-14, 11:54 AM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
At least with Walmart, if you don't like it after trying it you can get a refund, so the only thing you lose is just time and some gas for travel back for the refund.
It does look like you are planning for the longer term after your initial 3 month jaunts. A crappy bike, or heavy bike gets tiring and boring awfully quick. As others have suggested, deciding on better/more compact fold, or an lighter weight bike with better components goes a long way in terms of ride enjoyment and travelling comfort.
I have an old walmart NEXT folding bike that is still in the corner of my workshop - cheap and heavy - and I can't even give it away to my kids. My MuSL is my perfect commute and travel companion, although I still get Brompton envy gettting in a tight train cab.
Old 06-08-14, 11:58 AM
smallwheeler

i would recommend none of the above.

they are heavy, poorly constructed, mass produced bikes fitted with z-grade components. i know some people say they are a "good value for the money", but the majority of those same people report back later about all the "upgrades" they have made; i.e., derailleurs, pedals, cranksets, seatposts, saddles, cassettes, chains. after all that, they've spent 400+ on a bike platform that's worth about 50 bucks.

an actual "value for money" would be a mid-range used bike in good condition. personally i've owned dahon helios, xooter swift, di blasi, and many others, none of which i paid more than 350. the added advantage of buying a good quality used bike is, if you want to try something else later, you will be able to re-sell the bike for basically what you paid for it and apply that money to the next purchase. if, in the interim, you've saved a couple hundred more dollars in your piggy bank, you can move up a notch and find a used bike friday or airnimal, or even a brompton.

spending 300 on a bike that begins to depreciate as soon as you take it out of the box is a waste of money. period.
Old 06-08-14, 02:36 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
One thing I know about the OP is that he is beyond mechanically inclined (the bike he showed in the other thread is one he built himself). If the frame/stem is built well, then everything else he can easily fix.

And has been pointed out, he can easily return the bike if unhappy.
Old 06-08-14, 03:32 PM
smallwheeler

Originally Posted by cplager
One thing I know about the OP is that he is beyond mechanically inclined (the bike he showed in the other thread is one he built himself). If the frame/stem is built well, then everything else he can easily fix.

And has been pointed out, he can easily return the bike if unhappy.
unhappiness can easily be avoided by not buying it.

just because someone is mechanically inclined doesn't mean they are also inclined to waste their time and money.

Old 06-08-14, 04:17 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

unhappiness can easily be avoided by not buying it.

just because someone is mechanically inclined doesn't mean they are also inclined to waste their time and money.

I agree. I purchased my xootr swift and mostly luv it. I've started upgrades, but it's a solid stand-alone purchase all by itself. I'm mostly satisfied,...

As for the sites/bikes I linked to, they have a pretty solid rep for low cost & good quality. Most reviewers are quite satisfied. The xootr swift price range isn't a necessity for all. I want to upgrade to a NuVinci N360 CVP hub, it's perfect for that.

The op doesn't need my kind of excess. But if he orders a rock of a folder that's time and effort wasted, regardless of a 100% refund. I would hope he at least orders something that's worth the effort. Inexpensive is fine, but crap will still be crap.
Old 06-09-14, 06:25 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks to everyone for responding! Some really good points were made.

I just got back from a trip out of town and retrieved the bike from Walmart. I used the Site to Store shipping option (which is free) and they keep the box waiting for you at customer service. It was a piece of cake picking it up.

Got the box back to my hotel room and opened it up. The box was in perfect shape, with no holes, marked etc that would indicate trouble after opening. My initial impressions:

The green color is not as obnoxious as it appears on the Walmart website. It's actually a very nice darker green color with perhaps a touch of gold metalflake. The decals are under the clearcoat. The frame is aluminum and the welds appear to be very good quality. The two hinges work well and seem to be precision made items (to my untrained folder eye). There is a clear paint protector at the spot the main frame hinge clamp touches the paint. The seatpost as shown on the following pics are around the "do not exceed" mark on the post, but as clamped the post has about 10-12" below the clamp. The rear reflector mount looks like it should work well for mounting a rear light, high on the seatpost. It comes with a decent quality adjustable kickstand that is mounted to a purpose-built plate. The bottom bracket area appears to be well triangulated. The cables are Jagwire "LEX". It comes with plastic folding pedals on both sides. The V-brakes are alloy, but no-name. Brake pads appear serviceable. Overall the adjustment out of the box is fairly good. It has a 1-1/8 Ahead style headset. The handlebar stem is adjustable for height using a decent quality quick release and the handlebars are held in place by a 4 bolt toploading stem.

I dunno; I think at this price ($200 and free shipping) it seems like it is hard to beat? I'm fairly certain after my initial impression that I will not be taking this one back, but if I decide to, it's a short drive to Walmart.

Old 06-09-14, 06:28 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Old 06-09-14, 06:30 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Old 06-09-14, 08:16 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The steering post hinge:

The main frame hinge:

Both click when they are fully closed, and both feel like they are well built. Are these copies of an existing hinge design?
Old 06-09-14, 08:21 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
i would recommend none of the above.

they are heavy, poorly constructed, mass produced bikes fitted with z-grade component.
Correction: Origami was one of the brands listed above and all of our bikes are hand made in small batches. All of our frames are hand cut and hand welded. Our components are proven and reliable.
Old 06-09-14, 08:54 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Hybrid/Comfort - Genesis Terra Hybrid - Genesis: Excellence Begins Here
Old 06-09-14, 09:13 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looks decent for the price. Let us know how well it rides.
Old 06-09-14, 11:39 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

It actually does look pretty good. I can't wait for your opinion after you get a ride in.

PS: in the included owners manual does it state the maximum user weight?

Last edited by tds101; 06-09-14 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 03:56 AM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
It actually does look pretty good. I can't wait for your opinion after you get a ride in.

PS: in the included owners manual does it state the maximum user weight?
Will definitely report back after the first ride. The owners manual is pretty comprehensive, with sketches of the whole fold/unfold procedure, but also goes into great detail over general topics like cable fraying, how to adjust the brakes, etc. It also includes a service schedule (like a car). Anyway, the max weight as stated in owners manual is bike+luggage+rider not to exceed 230lbs.

I believe the bike weighs 28lbs (per walmart website) so max rider weight is around 200lbs.
Old 06-10-14, 04:06 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The hinges have a certain amount of Dahonesque appearance but I haven't seen this version before. It borrows from the older and newer Dahon latches. Hopefully it didn't borrow the awful design inadequacies of the older latch.

I am quite surprised by the looks.
Old 06-10-14, 12:24 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by atombikes
Will definitely report back after the first ride. The owners manual is pretty comprehensive, with sketches of the whole fold/unfold procedure, but also goes into great detail over general topics like cable fraying, how to adjust the brakes, etc. It also includes a service schedule (like a car). Anyway, the max weight as stated in owners manual is bike+luggage+rider not to exceed 230lbs.

I believe the bike weighs 28lbs (per walmart website) so max rider weight is around 200lbs.
Actually, the max user weight is 230lbs. The gear you carry needs to be subtracted from that weight. The weight of the bike itself isn't included in the total. That's just additional. If that's the case the real total would be (approximate) 260lbs.
Old 06-10-14, 04:07 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An interesting design feature I noticed while waiting for the rain to stop...the "stand" under the bottom bracket is bolted on to allow the size of the frame to get slightly smaller for fitting into a suitcase (or in case you bend it, which is probably what the designer was thinking). The cranks/chainring are also easily removable.

Also, I noticed the chain is KMC brand.

Old 06-10-14, 04:31 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
This bike should be compared to a citizen bike of same cost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.