Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwinn world tourist 5 speed - rear derailleur adjustment?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 08:34 AM
trextodd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just picked up an old Schwinn world tourist 5 speed, and can't figure out how to adjust the rear derailleur?
I've watched a few videos on youtube, but not sure I fully understand what to do?

The problem with it, it wants to stay in a high gear only. I can manually shove the index shifter to the lowest gear selection & hold it there with my thumb, but once released it shifts back up to one of the highest gear cogs.?

Speaking of this old index shifter, I've had several new mountain bikes & road bikes with new rapid fire shifting, etc... but not even sure how this old Shimano index shifter was intended to work? It seems that it is one directional only? Or perhaps that is because it not operating correctly now, obviously?
I can tell that downshifting is pushing your thumb away, but then the lever returns back to the forward (towards you) position after every downshift.. so how are upshifts handled with this old style index shifter?

Thanx in advance for any help / input!

Todd
Old 07-21-14, 08:51 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
A 5 speed bike is almost assuredly not index shifting. So you have friction shifters and the resistance to the RDs return spring comes not form discrete clicks, but from friction via clutch plates. The lever likely has a screw or wingnut at the center. This adjusts the pressure on the clutch plates and you want to set it tight enough to hold against the spring, but not so tight that it's hard to shift (personal preference here).

If you cannot adjust via the screw, there's a good chance that some of the clutch plates are missing, or simply dislodged. If so, you need to disassemble the lever and see if you can sort it out.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-21-14, 09:32 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Note the wing nut (sticking out on the left shifter). As FB mentioned that may just need a simple tightening. Some shifters have a standard Philips screw instead of a wingnut.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-21-14, 10:28 AM
trextodd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trextodd
Just picked up an old Schwinn world tourist 5 speed, and can't figure out how to adjust the rear derailleur?
I've watched a few videos on youtube, but not sure I fully understand what to do?

The problem with it, it wants to stay in a high gear only. I can manually shove the index shifter to the lowest gear selection & hold it there with my thumb, but once released it shifts back up to one of the highest gear cogs.?

Speaking of this old index shifter, I've had several new mountain bikes & road bikes with new rapid fire shifting, etc... but not even sure how this old Shimano index shifter was intended to work? It seems that it is one directional only? Or perhaps that is because it not operating correctly now, obviously?
I can tell that downshifting is pushing your thumb away, but then the lever returns back to the forward (towards you) position after every downshift.. so how are upshifts handled with this old style index shifter?

Thanx in advance for any help / input!

Todd
Thanx for the response.
I've attached a couple pics (hopefully worked? ) of the shifter and rear derailleur. It's definitely not the old style typical road bike shifters as in the picture you sent. Take a look at my pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
derailleur.jpg (96.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg
Shifter.jpg (85.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-21-14, 10:38 AM
trextodd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there,

I'm not sure if I responded to you or the first person / response on this thread? Sorry, new to this forum and how the threads work.. anyways, can you see the reply I posted and pics please?
Thanx!
Todd
Old 07-21-14, 10:40 AM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK...

In the second photo, see the Phillips head screw on top of the shifter, with the D shaped ring? That is the tension adjustment for the shift lever. Take a screwdriver and tighten the screw slightly. Push the shift lever away from you, like you were making a shift to a larger rear cog. Does it want to snap back as before? If so, tighten the screw a little more until the shifter stays in the position you want it to. Don't tighten the screw too much.

Also, look at the second photo again... see where the cable goes into the white plastic cover of the shift lever? Notice the slight break in the outer cable (the grey part)? You might want to unfasten the Cable from the derailleur, remove the inner wire, and trim that section of outer cable.
Old 07-21-14, 10:57 AM
trextodd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, it worked!
As far as adjusting the high/ low on the derailleur end, I watched a video on youtube, but wasn't sure I fully understood it?
Do you have to detach (loosen the cable set screw) prior to adjusting on the smallest and largest gear / alignment with derailleur?
Then I wasn't understanding the adjustment of the threaded barrel on the cable end termination, after it was all hooked back up? What exactly will the cable tension do for the shifting function / performance?
Old 07-21-14, 11:28 AM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trextodd
Awesome, it worked!

As far as adjusting the high/ low on the derailleur end, I watched a video on youtube, but wasn't sure I fully understood it? Do you have to detach (loosen the cable set screw) prior to adjusting on the smallest and largest gear/ alignment with derailleur? Then I wasn't understanding the adjustment of the threaded barrel on the cable end termination, after it was all hooked back up? What exactly will the cable tension do for the shifting function / performance?
Todd,

The High and Low Limit screws control the physical movement of the derailleur. You can detach the cable from the Anchor bolt to adjust the High and Low Limit, and use your hand to physically push the derailleur up to the largest cog.
If it goes too far, and pushes the chin into the spokes, you tighten the Low limit screw until the derailleur is lined up with the largest cog. If it won't shift up to the largest cog, then you loosen the Low Limit screw. Same with the High limit screw (small cog).

Cable tension determines how easily the derailleur will move with the shift lever. if the cable's too tight, the derailleur won't drop onto the small cog. If it's too loose, then the Shift lever cannot push the chain to the larger cog, because there's too much slack.

We're not taslking piano wire tight with the cable here; just a slight amount of tension is all that's needed. Also... don't crank the Limit screws too much; a ¼ to ½ turn of the screw either way, then check the movement of the derailleur.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-21-14, 12:03 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I recommend leaving the videos for seeing the actual process rather than understanding what to do. Google adjust rear derailleur and go to the parktool.com/blog and sheldonbrown.com results first. The adjustment barrel on an friction system is only for taking up slack so that you don't have to move the lever so far before the derailleur moves but is loose enough to allow movement to the small cog. It has no other function.