Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Heat packs?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Heat packs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-15, 03:06 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks digibud for the comparisons. Is there any safety concern using the heat packs? if so which is safer? Since I've never seen one in person, could any of them burn one's skin, or explode/cause fire? (sorry if it sounds utterly ignorant, which I am )
Old 12-06-15, 03:14 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No..no safety problems if you don't eat them. There is no danger of explosion. I'm not sure what is in the liquid type. It's probably not great for you and I'd clean it up if I ripped the plastic cover but the plastic packaging on the Heat Wave is pretty tough and I'm confident (not sure, but confident) there is nothing too dangerous inside. Safety isn't a big issue. Each has limitations. The Grabber can't be reused once it's done but as it has been mentioned, if you only use a Grabber 7hour pack for an hour you can put it in a ziplock baggie and seal it up and it will stop the chem reaction so you can use it again. It takes 10-15min for the Grabber type to start working.
Old 12-06-15, 04:28 PM
vol

Thanks, sounds good to carry some for a freezing day and not-so-short ride, esp. they are so inexpensive.
Old 01-27-16, 09:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Do any of you use those heat packs to warm your hands in winter?
was thinking about this last weekend. my trusty glove liner/loose winter glove combo wasn't working as well as I remembered. but after riding for some while my hands and fingers warmed up. before that happened I alternated which hand I put in a jacket pocket. at 22 degrees it took a good 30minutes, I'd guess to reach this thermal equilibrium. the rest of my time out was just fine. I suppose to prevent this I could start with a pack in each glove. I think I remember doing this on a couple of my coldest commutes. but it's hard to remember all the nitty gritty from 6yrs ago
Old 02-19-16, 02:01 AM
vol

It was very cold this past evening. I tried Grabber toe warmers heat pack. Not bad. It's warm. The warmth lasted for 4+ hours. Haven't tried hand warmer heat pack, but wonder how to place it near finger tips inside gloves which are the most needy for warmth.
Old 02-19-16, 07:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
It was very cold this past evening. I tried Grabber toe warmers heat pack. Not bad. It's warm. The warmth lasted for 4+ hours. Haven't tried hand warmer heat pack, but wonder how to place it near finger tips inside gloves which are the most needy for warmth.
couple ideas: anywhere in the glove would help. depends on the glove and where you have room. warm that hand, you warm the fingers. you can also put them in your jacket pockets and take turns putting one hand in a pocket at a time until you warm up
Old 02-19-16, 09:33 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They are great if your equipment is not adequate for the weather. Buy them after season, it will be cheaper.
Old 02-19-16, 10:15 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Feet are my issue, hands are typically good. I used heat packs for my boots a last week for the Fatbike Frozen Forty. It was round -8F at the start of the race, I was riding for over 5 hours (no stop) and then stood around outside for swag/awards for another hour or two. Feet were never cold.

I do not like the chemical heaters as a rule. But they are nice when you need to stay warm for a longer rider or a colder ride.
Old 02-19-16, 10:49 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Feet are my issue, hands are typically good. I used heat packs for my boots a last week for the Fatbike Frozen Forty. It was round -8F at the start of the race, I was riding for over 5 hours (no stop) and then stood around outside for swag/awards for another hour or two. Feet were never cold.

I do not like the chemical heaters as a rule. But they are nice when you need to stay warm for a longer rider or a colder ride.
You're in Minnesota, there are excellent mukluks made in Minnesota. Did a ride like yours (as long and about the same temp, ride started at -18F) last week wearing these mukluks and had to go for lighter socks as they were too warm. When riding this long non stop there is an inherent circulation issue that comes after a while from the feet constantly pushing the pedals but these are warm enough to go through without much trouble at least for me.

Last edited by erig007; 02-19-16 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-19-16, 11:03 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by erig007
You're in Minnesota, there are excellent mukluks made in Minnesota. Did a ride like yours (as long and about the same temp) last week wearing these mukluks and had to go for lighter socks as they were too warm.
Mukluks are great (boots and bikes).

I'm using the 45NRTH Wölvhammer, there are great on days when the temps are above 0F. This week I did a metric century with these boots with temps around 25F, feet were great.

I'm working with a local guy to make custom bootcovers to help with the sub-zero days. Here is his concept work:

He's made pogies and a bottle rack coozie that are great for the coldest days:

(10 mile ride at -12F last month)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160117_095738502_HDR.jpg (101.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-19-16, 11:08 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mukluks are great (boots and bikes).

I'm using the 45NRTH Wölvhammer, there are great on days when the temps are above 0F. This week I did a metric century with these boots with temps around 25F, feet were great.

I'm working with a local guy to make custom bootcovers to help with the sub-zero days. Here is his concept work:

He's made pogies and a bottle rack coozie that are great for the coldest days:

Nice, what about a pocket in the bootcover on the top of toes area for a heat pack?
Old 02-19-16, 11:55 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by erig007
Nice, what about a pocket in the bootcover on the top of toes area for a heat pack?
I hope it's never that cold here!
Old 03-01-16, 03:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts

That looks like a cold day. I really must visit Minnesota one day.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-04-16, 12:24 PM
will be was

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts
I use toe warmers, the cleat of the SPD is a conduit for the cold, 25F and below, if I commute it is abut an hour distance so they go in to glass jar with screw cap, at evening return they are good to go, they were in jar for about 10 hours. I tried reuse one next day it was no good, so they have limit for reuse. For hands for me double glove system works better,a ski glove (not too expensive) or a lobster version glove and a thinner full finger glove inside, and much cheaper and still have dexterity, no hand warmers there, they don't do anything for the finger tips.
Old 03-04-16, 03:06 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by will be was
I use toe warmers, the cleat of the SPD is a conduit for the cold, 25F and below, if I commute it is abut an hour distance so they go in to glass jar with screw cap, at evening return they are good to go, they were in jar for about 10 hours. I tried reuse one next day it was no good, so they have limit for reuse. For hands for me double glove system works better,a ski glove (not too expensive) or a lobster version glove and a thinner full finger glove inside, and much cheaper and still have dexterity, no hand warmers there, they don't do anything for the finger tips.
Glass jar? Wrap in several layers of food plastic wrap to seal out the oxygen.
Old 03-04-16, 03:15 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
Link?
Let me google that for you