Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

what do poggie users do when they lock up?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 02:12 PM
FrankHudson

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sold on the idea of poggies being a good solution for very cold weather riding, and more so in that my new winter bike has trigger shifters that are quite difficult to use with mittens. But here's my dilemma: most of my bike trips are more urban/utility oriented as opposed to recreational. That means I ride my bike to shop, visit friends, go out to eat, go see music etc. Does anyone else here use poggies and lock up their bikes?

Do you worry about theft of the poggies when locked up? If so do you have any ideas on anything that can mitigate that risk? Do you remove the poggies and take them with you, and if so, how easy is it to reattach them when it might be dark and below zero?
Old 12-29-16, 03:04 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tried poggies for a while but this is exactly the reason why i've settled on mitten instead.
Old 12-30-16, 11:01 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never worried about theft on mine. I got $30 scoot logic mitts that were intended for scooters. I have bar end plugs that use allen screws to hold them on (also keeps them in place taking my hands in and out).

My thought is that anyone that would have a use for them probably won't steal them. On the off chance that someone does, I'm hoping they really needed them.
Old 12-31-16, 11:26 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Attachment methods are all over the place. The 45nrth pogies kind of bolt on. They are nice in that they hold themselves up and would be fairly hard to swipe...the dogwoods just attach with elastic cinch straps, so go on and off more easily (and easier for thieves, too...).

I've been tempted recently to get a set of the 45nrth pogies mostly because they stay at your preferred angle of install.

I just never thought about anyone stealing pogies before.
Old 01-02-17, 12:08 PM
FrankHudson

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
Attachment methods are all over the place. The 45nrth pogies kind of bolt on. They are nice in that they hold themselves up and would be fairly hard to swipe...the dogwoods just attach with elastic cinch straps, so go on and off more easily (and easier for thieves, too...).

I've been tempted recently to get a set of the 45nrth pogies mostly because they stay at your preferred angle of install.

I just never thought about anyone stealing pogies before.
Hmm. "kind of bolt on" might be good enough. Most stores and some restaurants put their bike parking somewhere off to the side where the you can't see the bike and I've had little things stripped off my bike nearly every year, but nothing that required a tool. I suspect those thefts are thefts of convenience by other folks locking up at the same area or walking by.
Old 01-02-17, 01:47 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I've got a fairly thin combination lock wire, initially meant for securing luggage. I loop it through the pogies and through the frame when I know I'll be parking the bike somewhere unattended.
Can be left in place while riding w/o driving me nuts.

On a related note:
- I sent an email to an otherwise friendly and attentive maker of pogies/bar mitts, suggesting they might consider adding a version with a lock wire already inserted.
Would be easy enough to sew one in.
Would have made a much neater solution than mine.
But they were entirely uninterested, and I don't think they even gave it enough thought to understand what I meant.
Old 01-03-17, 12:54 PM
FrankHudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I've got a fairly thin combination lock wire, initially meant for securing luggage. I loop it through the pogies and through the frame when I know I'll be parking the bike somewhere unattended.
Can be left in place while riding w/o driving me nuts.

On a related note:
- I sent an email to an otherwise friendly and attentive maker of pogies/bar mitts, suggesting they might consider adding a version with a lock wire already inserted.
Would be easy enough to sew one in.
Would have made a much neater solution than mine.
But they were entirely uninterested, and I don't think they even gave it enough thought to understand what I meant.
Yeah, I suspect that "entirely uninterested" comes from a recreational bike outlook where your rides are all to and from "home base" or your car rack or where stops where you still can keep an eye on your bike.
Old 01-03-17, 07:06 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Never worried about them being stolen - it would take a couple minutes for someone to get mine loose. I fold them over closed to keep snow out and like to leave a hand warmer in each. When I come back out they're already warm inside. I've used mine for years at coffee shops & breweries with no problem.
Old 01-04-17, 12:44 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankHudson
I'm sold on the idea of poggies being a good solution for very cold weather riding, and more so in that my new winter bike has trigger shifters that are quite difficult to use with mittens. But here's my dilemma: most of my bike trips are more urban/utility oriented as opposed to recreational. That means I ride my bike to shop, visit friends, go out to eat, go see music etc. Does anyone else here use poggies and lock up their bikes?

Do you worry about theft of the poggies when locked up? If so do you have any ideas on anything that can mitigate that risk? Do you remove the poggies and take them with you, and if so, how easy is it to reattach them when it might be dark and below zero?
I've used some Gupgum pogies that are simple velcro closures. It's great when locking up to quickly remove. Also for commuting, I might need pogies in the AM but not want them in the PM so their easy to remove and pack in my bag.

Me and my pugies on my Pug last January (-12F):

IMG_20160117_095740699_HDR.jpg