Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mods for my new Brompton (carbon seatpost anybody?)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Mods for my new Brompton (carbon seatpost anybody?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 04:03 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by rsanchezsaez
Haha, I'm proud of brands which (supposedly?) have craftsmanship and elegance in high esteem, plus the Brooks logo is beautiful. If my replacement grips exhibit the same problem I'll fix them myseslves, but I wasn't expecting having to do home-made repairs after just two rides...
Brooks makes great saddles, but most of their other branded stuff is outsourced. It appears Ergon tried to dress up Brooks-branded grips with metal stickies over plastic end plugs. You'd be better off just using Ergon's standard plastic plugs.
Old 10-07-17, 04:17 PM
kamtsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If price is of no concern, you can try the Brompton Butterfly.

Old 10-07-17, 05:50 PM
Brompton_X

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon, Tern, Birdy

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Brompotn Butterfly ... hmmm... I wonder it will be ever in production.
Old 10-07-17, 06:01 PM
Brompton_X

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Haha, I'm proud of brands which (supposedly?) have craftsmanship and elegance in high esteem, plus the Brooks logo is beautiful. If my replacement grips exhibit the same problem I'll fix them myseslves, but I wasn't expecting having to do home-made repairs after just two rides...
That's the conflict and you want to reduce the weight of your Brompton. Personally I don't like Brooks because they are too heavy for me. Not to mention they are expensive and outsourcing most of their products to other manufacturers. Ergon GP1 sells for $22 on Amazon but same design with Brooks logo it sell $80.

Anyway, I have a 6-speed Titanium Nickel Edition Brompton and currently the weight is about 8kg. Here is my upgrade list.
1. H&H carbon seatpost.
2. Fizik arione 00 saddle.
3. Titanium stem
4. Kojak tyres (this tyre saves a lot of weight)
5. Tune crankset
6. Carbon tensioner
7. Carbon S type handlebar
8. Carbon wheels
Old 10-08-17, 10:19 PM
rsanchezsaez

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool list of upgrades.

Which brand is your titanium stem? And the wheels?

Also, would a titanium main frame be safe? EasyTi Titanium Ti CNC Main Frame for Brompton Folding Bike | eBay

Although, can you call it a Brompton if you replace the main frame?
Old 10-09-17, 01:28 AM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Also, would a titanium main frame be safe? EasyTi Titanium Ti CNC Main Frame for Brompton Folding Bike | eBay

I have been thinking about the same recently. Rear triangles and forks has been available for some time but they are not super heavy from the start. Main frame and stem is a lot of steel and should be fairly easy to swap out but I remember from reading about the frame on Ebay that one place they said one year warranty and further down on the same page 2 or 3 yrs (can`t remember exactely). At that price I would like more than one year warranty!

I was also thinking "can I register my bike on the Brompton site or put a Brompton stickeron it"? On the other hand maybe better to not have a brand name hoping it would be less interesting to steal.

If I did something like that I would paint the titanium parts to hide them. Call me paranoid but I would sleep better at night.
Old 10-09-17, 01:56 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
The Brompton folding frame is the part with the serial number on it. I don't see how it qualifies as a Brompton anymore if the frame is replaced; now it's a replica.
Old 10-09-17, 11:22 AM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
The Brompton folding frame is the part with the serial number on it. I don't see how it qualifies as a Brompton anymore if the frame is replaced; now it's a replica.
Just like Steve Parrys Ti Brompton is not a Brompton but still that is what we call it

Last edited by badmother; 10-09-17 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-09-17, 04:21 PM
Brompton_X

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool list of upgrades.

Which brand is your titanium stem? And the wheels?

I don't really recommend you buy from that ebay seller from China. I ordered one Brompton stem from him and waited over six months. Not to mention the quality is very poor once I got it. I had to spend another $300 at HomeDepot to buy some extra tools to make the stem works.

I have a full titanium frame Brompton bike that I ordered from Taobao, which is also from China, but not the same buyer from ebay you link. On a scale from 1-10, I gave it a 7. It is very light indeed but they are not 100% Brompton parts compatible. You just need some tooling to make it works. They are all 100% handmade so I guess it is what it is. I know they ship a lot of Ti frames to other countries in Korea and Japan but didn't see a lot of complaints from them.

My instagram ID is charles_ciaobu, you can find the ti bike info I post there. Just in case you interest.
Old 10-10-17, 09:31 PM
rsanchezsaez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brompton_X
I don't really recommend you buy from that ebay seller from China. I ordered one Brompton stem from him and waited over six months. Not to mention the quality is very poor once I got it. I had to spend another $300 at HomeDepot to buy some extra tools to make the stem works.

I have a full titanium frame Brompton bike that I ordered from Taobao, which is also from China, but not the same buyer from ebay you link. On a scale from 1-10, I gave it a 7. It is very light indeed but they are not 100% Brompton parts compatible. You just need some tooling to make it works. They are all 100% handmade so I guess it is what it is. I know they ship a lot of Ti frames to other countries in Korea and Japan but didn't see a lot of complaints from them.

My instagram ID is charles_ciaobu, you can find the ti bike info I post there. Just in case you interest.
You have some very cool pics on your Instagram! How did you make your stem work? Anyway, I don't see any sellers offering Titanium H stems, so I guess it's out of the picture for my case.
Old 10-11-17, 07:07 PM
CHenry

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got my new Brompton (H6L) 2017 edition! I'm very happy with it, and I'm looking into performing some mods.

My first mod were the Brooks Ergon grips. I'm also waiting for a Brooks Swift Titanium saddle in a honey color.

(It was my sweet spot between weight and looks. I also looked into the Berthoud Galibier, but I didn't like how the plastic piece on the backside looks. The Brooks B-series are too heavy. The Brooks Cambium I really like, but all the titaniums are black, which is a color I don't like.)

What other mods (specially weight-saving mods, to offset the saddle and grips) would you do if cost is not a concern?

I'm considering getting a carbon or titanium seat post, but I cannot find many reviews of their effectivity and safety. Also, I'd go for Brompfication for their reputation, but their production is halted at the moment. I've seen H&H offering both Carbon and Titanium ones (https://www.ebay.com/i/192125533648?chn=ps&dispItem=1). Does anybody has any experience with them? I'm tempted by the carbon one due to a very low weight, but I'm worried because I read in a review that it cracks if over-tightened, and it slides if under-tightened. Any thoughts? (Note that I weight 140lbs).

Any other mods that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
A few:

1.The H&H titanium racks (sold at NYCE, and elsewhere) are very nice and light. Mainly it makes a better rolling platform, but it is a good rear rack when you may need one. You can add it to a "L"-Brompton easily. If you want to go with steel, Nitto makes a beautiful Brompton rack in silver and also black. CrMo.

2. The anodized 77mm rollers look good and have stronger 6mm bolts.

3. I can recommend the Selle Anatomica new type saddles: leather, center relieved, aluminum and stainless frame.

4. An upgraded elastomer damper: the scrowave washer springs are good as are the coil spring-type dampers.

5. Lights. The Schmidt XS dyno hub and Edelux II LED headlight and the Schmidt rear generator lamp. If you don't want a generator, look at the NiteRider 950 rechargeable.

Last edited by CHenry; 10-11-17 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 10:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the J bend spoked Schmidt XS , has 2 newer dyno hub products that are smaller and lighter..

Radial , built wheel, they have been designed to use a straight pull spoke, which they got butted..

the 2nd , semi radial, pairs the spokes at the hub, that slight kink allows a spoke to be replaced in the field if needed,
because though still a straight pull spoke the bend would, logically, not have the head and nipple turning together..

Paradox is a very old question : ship of theseus

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-15-18 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 11:35 PM
rsanchezsaez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the further suggestions! I've already got the SON Dynamo, and I'm pretty happy with it, not planning to change it (it's 0.8 lbs as opposed as 1.2 lbs for the Shimano).

I just ordered a J&L Ti handle bar, and I'm planning to order a Ti seatpost too. I'm still debating if I should try a carbon seatpost, but I'm afraid of failures, and some of these Chinese brands looks very shady.

I also found carbon mudguards: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...833893641.html I don't think they'll save much weight, but I may give them a try.
Old 11-15-17, 06:10 PM
MultiplexMan

Bikes: Brompton-Vostok, Cannondale Hooligan, BF Fixie, Litespeed OBED, Cannondale Badboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
@MultiplexMan Thanks for the update, could you kindly post picture pics of your bikes? I'm really intrigued about how they look.
Search Instagram for "vostokbike". My wife's Brompton is the Turkish Green.

Currently massively under geared: custom chain rings (CycleUnderground) are due this week & 13T sprockets coming from Rohloff.
Old 01-15-18, 01:12 PM
Lun Lun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I have the same HnH CF seat-post. While I really love it's design and aesthetic, I'm currently having a huge problem with it. It's somewhat sliding during rides, I've already tightened it to the maximum I believe and I'm not that heavy at all (58kg). Am I doing something wrong? Did you manage to have this problem on this seat-post? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-18, 01:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Myself, not a light weight, I stuck with extended steel seatpost, added a earlier Brompton-Fizik saddle QSADVIT-A

Carradice SQR bracket mounted Saddle bag & Brompton-Ortlieb O bag ..

Hefty but practical 2 speed Schlumpf Mountain Drive crankset, with 54t chainring 15t on the BSR.

I first got the gear box crank for the black Mk2 I had and replaced with the Mk4,

because you like pictures... the older bike..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-15-18 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 11:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
CF seatpost? Pffff. What you need is a CF fork.
Old 01-17-18, 01:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Its possible to line a lightweight metal seat post with carbon fiber, wet layup . DIY..

use a balloon, like those inner-tubes that are not a circle, so you can put them in, without removing the wheel from the bike..

to get out the air bubbles..
Old 01-14-19, 03:54 AM
stuartrav

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys, I've got a Brompton S6L Superlight Titanium in Raw Laquer, so far I have made the following changes:
Changed the saddle to a much lighter old saddle I had knocking around (got to be at least a 100g saving)
Fitted a titanium bolt set which saved 88g (145g, original set 233g)
Fitted titanium handlebars which saved 23g (120g, original 143g)
Fitted a 600mm titanium seat post which saved 129g (306g, original 435g this being the longer version which I got the shop I bought the bike from to give me instead of the standard length one which wasn't long enough)
Fitted a titanium quick release seat post clamp inc. the clip to lock the suspension which saved 45g (28g, original 73g)

However I also fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres in place of the Schwalbe Kojak that came as standard as I commute on the bike every weekday and don't want the hassle / inconvenience of punctures. This however has pretty much outweighed all the above savings + is an increase in unsprung mass so the worst kind.

Currently the bike weighs around 10.8kg which is a tad disappointing so I have on order:
A titanium rear triangle pivot hinge axle + the corresponding titanium bolts
A pair of titanium hinge clamp levers with carbon levers
A carbon stop disk with the corresponding titanium bolt.

What are your thoughts on other mods that will lighten / improve my Brompton without impacting on practicality? I am toying with a titanium S stem but am a little nervous given various comments I have read that it will need fettling to work.

I look forward to hearing from you all.
Old 01-14-19, 04:22 AM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Likes For pakeboi:
Old 01-14-19, 07:43 AM
bmxfamily

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update to the carbon wheels :-)
Old 01-14-19, 08:21 AM
stuartrav

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks Pakeboi. I've been through this list and can comment as follows:

1) Want to keep the chainguard as I cycle in suit trousers everyday.
2) Bike didn't come with wheel reflectors
3) Rear reflector: Will have to look into this, could be a cheap way of reducing weight, I may even have something suitable at home.
4) I already have the S grips
5) Tempted to change the wheels but all the wheels I have looked at so far have a fairly low rider weight limit and sometimes I am cycling with a laptop and a heavy rucksack
6) Inner tubes, changed already
7) See 5
8) Will see if I can find titanium mudguard stay bolts as don't want any aluminium bolts on the bike
9) Hinge clamp bolts: Titanium ones on order
10) Seat post clamp: Titanium one fitted
11) Tyres: To ensure puncture resistance I have actually fitted heavier tyres!
12) Stem expander bolt: Fitted titanium version which was part of a bolt set I bought
13) Headset: S type already fitted
14) Bike is the titanium version so already has a titanium front fork
15) Folding pedal bolt: Something I still need to buy
16) Mudguard stays: Something I hadn't thought of
17) Bike is the titanium version so already has a titanium rear frame
18) I have "upgraded" to the Firm Brompton suspension rubber. Is there a firm alternative which is noticeably lighter?
19) Titatnium seat pillar / post fitted
20) Titanium crank bolts are something I still need to buy
21) Bottom Bracket. Now this is an interesting area. I am very tempted to buy the Aceoffix bottom bracket that is available on ebay (sorry I can't post links as I am too new a member) or the Token bottom bracket that is available on ebay (sorry I can't post links as I am too new a member) The Token version is listed as 118mm so presumably not quite right given I believe it should be 119mm? Do any of you have experience of after market lighter bottom brackets? Any recommendations / comments? Note I have also seen the Ti parts one but at close to £200 I cannot justify it.
22) Handlebar catch bolt: Fitted titanium version which was part of a bolt set I bought
23) Rear roller bolts: Haven't seen anywhere selling these
24) Lighter saddle already fitted
25) Don't think a lighter chain will be good for reliability especially as the weight saving is likely to be minimal
26) I have seen some lighter cranks. Does anyone have any experience? I've seen a few on ebay (sorry I can't post links as I am too new a member)

I look forward to your replies.
Old 01-14-19, 08:24 AM
stuartrav

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmxfamily
update to the carbon wheels :-)
Do you have any info you can send me? Reduction in unsprung mass is a great way of reducing the weight . Apart from the potential cost my only concern is braking ability as the carbon wheels I have on my road bike give significantly reduced braking performance in the rain.
Old 01-14-19, 08:37 AM
bmxfamily

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stuartrav
Do you have any info you can send me? Reduction in unsprung mass is a great way of reducing the weight . Apart from the potential cost my only concern is braking ability as the carbon wheels I have on my road bike give significantly reduced braking performance in the rain.
I take carbon rim from www.pavisports.com you can visit their site to find if you can get the rim you need. Their Basalt brake surface can increase the braking performance in the rain.
Old 01-14-19, 11:55 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by stuartrav
Hi guys, I've got a Brompton S6L Superlight Titanium in Raw Laquer, so far I have made the following changes:
Changed the saddle to a much lighter old saddle I had knocking around (got to be at least a 100g saving)
Fitted a titanium bolt set which saved 88g (145g, original set 233g)
Fitted titanium handlebars which saved 23g (120g, original 143g)
Fitted a 600mm titanium seat post which saved 129g (306g, original 435g this being the longer version which I got the shop I bought the bike from to give me instead of the standard length one which wasn't long enough)
Fitted a titanium quick release seat post clamp inc. the clip to lock the suspension which saved 45g (28g, original 73g)

However I also fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres in place of the Schwalbe Kojak that came as standard as I commute on the bike every weekday and don't want the hassle / inconvenience of punctures. This however has pretty much outweighed all the above savings + is an increase in unsprung mass so the worst kind.

Currently the bike weighs around 10.8kg which is a tad disappointing so I have on order:
A titanium rear triangle pivot hinge axle + the corresponding titanium bolts
A pair of titanium hinge clamp levers with carbon levers
A carbon stop disk with the corresponding titanium bolt.

What are your thoughts on other mods that will lighten / improve my Brompton without impacting on practicality? I am toying with a titanium S stem but am a little nervous given various comments I have read that it will need fettling to work.

I look forward to hearing from you all.
Based on it's weight; I'm assuming your seatpost still uses a pentaclip?
Aftermarket posts that leaves the pentaclip out; seaves even more weight.
2013 Brompton S6L-X by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
That photo is a bit older; but current specs/weight are on point:
2013 Brompton S6L-X, as tested: Main Frame, Butt brazed, low carbon steel Stem riser, butt brazed, low carbon steel Headset, Brompton Head bearing set 1 1/8, ALUMINIUM Fork, titanium Frame - Rear-end, titanium Brakes, Brompton dual-pivot calipers with Fibrax cartridge pads Seatpost, H & H titanium - 31.6 X 600 Bottom Bracket, Brompton Sealed, square taper ISO type, 119mm spindle length Crank Arms, Alloy single 170mm 130 BCD Chainring on crankset, Shimano Dura Ace 39T 130BCD 10 speed Chain, Shimano Ultegra 10 speed Individual cogs, Brompton sprockets, 13T &16T for 6-speed Handlebars, Brompton; aluminum alloy Gear Shifters, Brompton thumb Shifters, Black Brake Levers, Brompton Aluminum alloy Hub (Front Wheel), Brompton superlight(2012)Alloy 28H Rims, Double Wall 28H Aluminum alloy. ETRTO 349 Spokes, Sapim 28/wheel; stainless steel Tires, Primo Comets 16 x 1 1/4" (349) 85 max. psi Inner Tubes, Schwalbe AV4, 16" - 18" Schraeder valve Derailleur (for 2/6 speeds): Brompton Geared hubs, 3 spd Brompton wide ratio for 6 speed Saddle, Selle Anatomica C series - full carbon Pedals, Xpedo M Force 8 titanium clipless SPD type Extra’s : Mudguards included, front luggage carrier block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.