Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gazelle AA Special seat binder Bolt

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gazelle AA Special seat binder Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 03:24 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Pretty much how I envisioned it would look. Thanks for the pictures. I will use them when visiting a couple of shops I have in mind that *might* have one.

Looking at that nut, I think it might be possible to fabricate one from a recessed brake bolt. A vise, a file and some patience should do it.

Old 05-16-19, 03:54 PM
steve-d
Too many hobbies!

Bikes: Maserati MT-2 (reviewed in Road and Track, 1974; Raleigh Competion GS Carlton; Dawes Super Gallexy; Hollands; Raleigh Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I think that may be my only resort.

It really was a good concept for Gazelle if they continued with it. The use of a common bolt and a somewhat special nut surely would save some money vs the slightly more complicate other type of fastener.
Old 05-16-19, 04:24 PM
steve-d
Too many hobbies!

Bikes: Maserati MT-2 (reviewed in Road and Track, 1974; Raleigh Competion GS Carlton; Dawes Super Gallexy; Hollands; Raleigh Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought about contacting the gazelle company via email and sending a picture of this seatpost lug fastener. I was rather surprised they don't even list any traditional road racing type bicycles. With their long history in the sport I was rather shocked. Nevertheless their only interest seems to be electric bikes, probably because of the much higher markup. In any event phoning them is a little awkward for me in the United States. Oh well!
Old 05-17-19, 11:10 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by steve-d
I thought about contacting the gazelle company via email and sending a picture of this seatpost lug fastener. I was rather surprised they don't even list any traditional road racing type bicycles. With their long history in the sport I was rather shocked. Nevertheless their only interest seems to be electric bikes, probably because of the much higher markup. In any event phoning them is a little awkward for me in the United States. Oh well!
I did send your pics of the actual bolt back to Gazelle, and asked the nice lady if perhaps there were some older colleagues that might recognize it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I also spent some time today visiting four shops in my area that I know to be helpful in cases like this. A lot of mechanics looked at my phone today, but none recognized that particular nut. Apparently its use was limited to the AA Special, and this model has never been sold in big numbers, of course.

(It helps that they recognize me as "that man", because I often help them to get rid of old steel bikes they have traded in. Which basically means I pay more than the traders they would otherwise offload those old bikes to. So I ended up with two new bikes today, a 1981 Koga-Miyata GentsRacer-Aero and a 2002(?) titanium Gazelle Colto. Your nut is proving to be expensive! )

I don't expect a reply from Gazelle before early next week. I'll report back when I've heard from them.

Old 05-17-19, 11:24 AM
steve-d
Too many hobbies!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very glad you are able to expand your stable when asking for a small nut and bolt!!!
Old 05-17-19, 12:10 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by steve-d
I'm very glad you are able to expand your stable when asking for a small nut and bolt!!!
Thanks. Mrs non-fixie will be home in thirty minutes, and I'm still thinking of how to break the news to her ....

Old 05-20-19, 12:00 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I visited a couple of other shops on Saturday. No direct hits, but one of them offered to put out a feeler in their community. I also visited a fellow enthousiast today (bought some nice Universal brakes from him), who said he'd check his boxes of bits. So I sent him your pics. There's still a shimmer of hope ...