Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

can't get pedal off

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

can't get pedal off

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-20, 08:11 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
If it's as difficult as you are describing, you may have a pedal that has been cross-threaded or has suffered some sort of bi-metallic reaction between the Al crankarm and Fe pedal axle. The former may mean you will need a new crankarm, the latter may or may not require that if the "bond" can be broken AND you're able to chase the threads clean.
Its too bad that the current pedals have only the hex wrench removal option. The amount of force that will be applied with the long lever arms that many are suggesting could easily twist the hex wrench or worse, "round off" the hex opening on the pedal.
Be sure to post on the outcome of your issue. Inquiring minds need to know!
Likes For sovende:
Old 10-02-20, 01:49 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
Be sure to post on the outcome of your issue. Inquiring minds need to know!
Update: Success! Got it off. I put my right foot on the pedal & reached way down w/my right arm for the pipe extension thing I put on the allen hex. It went 'pop' when it broke loose. I thought something broke! Took pedal off, no damage; but the allen hex is showing slight damage. It's probably still usable; not sure. Most previous attempts I used my left arm. I am right handed, and my left arm is a little weak due to unrelated injury. And I had almost given up/resort to taking it to lbs.
Will ride it tmrw.
ty for all support
Likes For epnnf:
Old 10-02-20, 04:11 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Good job!
Hope your new pedals have wrench flats. I wouldn't buy pedals without them.

Last edited by JanMM; 10-03-20 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-02-20, 04:30 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Update: Success! Got it off. I put my right foot on the pedal & reached way down w/my right arm for the pipe extension thing I put on the allen hex. It went 'pop' when it broke loose. I thought something broke! Took pedal off, no damage; but the allen hex is showing slight damage. It's probably still usable; not sure. Most previous attempts I used my left arm. I am right handed, and my left arm is a little weak due to unrelated injury. And I had almost given up/resort to taking it to lbs.
Will ride it tmrw.
ty for all support
Last time that happened to me it was my back that popped! Good work getting it off.
Old 10-02-20, 07:29 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Glad you were able to get that pedal off without damaging the bike 👍. When installing the new pedals, I recommend thoroughly cleaning the threads on the crank arms and applying a light coating of waterproof grease to the pedal threads. They will be much easier to remove if you need to do so.
I agree with the suggestion to install pedals that have flats for a pedal wrench (usually much thinner than most standard wrenches).
RE: removing pedals, to do so without having to think about the "righty tighty, lefty loosey" or the opposite for "left hand or reverse threading" I use this method. On the side of the pedal to be removed, point the crank arm toward the front wheel and have it parallel to the ground. Place the wrench (either open end or hex key) on the pedal so the wrench is above the crank arm and pointing toward the rear of the bike. Now squeeze the wrench toward the crank arm and the pedal will start to loosen. The "rules" apply to either side of the bike!
Old 10-03-20, 11:02 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Grease the threads of the new pedals, and just snug them on, no brute force to install.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-03-20, 02:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,448 Posts
My nmemonic is "the pedal that you put your LEFT foot on is LEFT-threaded."

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-03-20, 03:13 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 381 Posts
What BF taught me about getting a pedal off without the exactly proper tool was to stand on the wrench. That might be difficult for a hex key.

I live in an apartment, so I don't have room or need for lots of tools. I've got TA cranks and a TA puller, though.
Old 10-03-20, 03:17 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 1,247 Times in 625 Posts
Put a bag of ice on the area for 20 minutes and it comes off.

Old 10-03-20, 04:05 PM
crankholio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My nmemonic is "the pedal that you put your LEFT foot on is LEFT-threaded."
That's how I remember. And then I remember that bottom bracket cups are opposite of pedal threads.
Likes For crankholio:
Old 10-03-20, 08:48 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I know you got the pedal off but here's a method I use. I use two or three bricks and a towel to prevent damage and position the pedal on them so there's no play at all and use a Lezyne wrench which has great leverage. This would work for an Allen wrench too. Best thing about the Lezyne wrench is that non cyclist friends think it's some sort of a medieval weapon.
Old 10-04-20, 10:36 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
I would add that in this specific situation, a leverage or "cheater" bar was not the ideal solution. 6mm allen fittings are not really good handling high torque loads often needed to remove pedals.

I think he's lucky he got it off without rounding the allen wrench or pedal, or at least having it slip under the load and then rounding the outer portion of the tool.

I would have rather utilized an impact wrench after ample soaking with penetrating oil. Impact forces are so much better for fittings and tools. If a decent impact wrench hadn't gotten it off, then applying heat to the crank arm would have been another good option.

And someone replied with "apply light grease to the pedal threads" and "not too much torque." I disagree! Apply LOTS of waterproof grease to BOTH pedal threads AND inside of the crank arm. You simply cannot use too much grease. Mix in some anti-seize if you're REALLY worried about stuck pedals. Better yet would be to run pedal taps through those crank arms to ensure the threads were pristine prior to installation of the new pedals.

And don't go light on pedal torque. You life depends on secure pedals. Loose pedals are big problem with bicycle assembly. Agree with the poster who said avoid pedals without flats. Excellent advice. The average person cannot achieve proper torque with a spindly little 6mm allen wrench. Dumb of manufacturers to make pedals with only 6mm allen fittings. The Park PW-4 is THE wrench for pedals. Four different angles so you can ALWAYS find the perfect position for the wrench when applying high force. And yes, ALWAYS push away from bike parts, especially chain rings!!!!
Likes For LV2TNDM: