Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear facing safety lights. Red or White ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rear facing safety lights. Red or White ?

Old 10-21-20, 08:31 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Apparently, it takes all kinds. On a local forum a guy spent several days preaching the superiority of riding on the other side of the road compared to everybody else.
He had a mortal fear of being run over from the rear, so he considered being a source of confusion for all other road users to be a big improvement.

^^^ This

The laws, statutes and common practices that make up the “Rules of The Road” exists so that everyone behaves in a more-or-less predictable manner, thereby reducing the overall risk for all road users, during what is an innately risky activity.

Behaving in a contrarian manner, like the OP, may make him feel safer by calling attention to his behavior, but it makes it less safe for the rest of us, because now, the other road users need to try to figure out what this anomaly means, and what the appropriate response to it is, which means paying less attention to the other, ‘normal’ things going on around them.
Old 10-21-20, 08:38 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
You mean someone was actually dumb enough to put a red light on front of their bike? I really wonder what the logic was with that... maybe they thought they'd preserve their night vision or something.
Yep, at least twice. Salmoning too. So when I thought I was coming up behind them we were actually heading towards each other. Not too safe.
Old 10-21-20, 10:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
^^^ This

The laws, statutes and common practices that make up the “Rules of The Road” exists so that everyone behaves in a more-or-less predictable manner, thereby reducing the overall risk for all road users, during what is an innately risky activity.

Behaving in a contrarian manner, like the OP, may make him feel safer by calling attention to his behavior, but it makes it less safe for the rest of us, because now, the other road users need to try to figure out what this anomaly means, and what the appropriate response to it is, which means paying less attention to the other, ‘normal’ things going on around them.
The OP is not the only contrarian recommending visual safety equipment that does not conform to many, if any state or local codes in the U.S. Well known and in some cases infamous "experts" recommend that bicyclists use amber rear reflectors for their bicycles.
Recommendation for use of AMBER rear reflectors
Old 10-21-20, 12:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The OP is not the only contrarian recommending visual safety equipment that does not conform to many, if any state or local codes in the U.S. Well known and in some cases infamous "experts" recommend that bicyclists use amber rear reflectors for their bicycles.

"A red taillight meets the legal requirement for red at the rear if you are using an amber reflector. " I live in NH and I'm quite sure that's legally correct here. So the amber reflector is in addition to the mandatory red at the rear. As we know from running lights, amber as a color does not indicate directionality unless it's a blinking turn signal, so are you claiming that having amber reflectors in addition to the required red light or reflector at the rear would violate ANY state code? You're going to need some pretty good evidence for that one.

I must say, I'm quite amused by the assertion that the law is somehow discouraging you from putting reflectors on your bike that happen to not be legally required.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-21-20, 12:52 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Speaking of contrarians. How many blinky red lights do bike likers recommend, and how high should they be mounted?

p.s. In Massachusetts, you are allowed to mount all manner and color of lights and reflectors on your bicycle and yourself. You sometimes have to have a WHITE light in front, a red reflector and/or red light in the back, and a pedal or ankle reflector color unspecified.

Other than that, knock yourself out.

"This clause shall not prohibit a bicycle or its operator to be equipped with lights or reflectors in addition to those required by clauses (8) and (9)."

p.p.s. Sadly, I have to live with the consequences of the expert. Luckily, his followers are small in number and dwindling.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-21-20 at 01:01 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-21-20, 04:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Speaking of contrarians. How many blinky red lights do bike likers recommend, and how high should they be mounted?
High and bright enough with sufficient size/number to be seen from a good distance by a motor vehicle operator in at least the second vehicle that is tailgating the first, when both are fast approaching bicyclist in a traffic lane on a high speed road. A good countermeasure to the added risk to bicyclists riding on high speed (50+mph) presented from dumbass motorists who combine tailgating with last minute maneuvers to pass.
Originally Posted by mr_bill
p.p.s. Sadly, I have to live with the consequences of the expert. Luckily, his followers are small in number and dwindling.
Does a contrarian xpert and/or his small band of followers still have any remaining influence to effect bicycling in your area? I would assume that in the past a coterie of Bicycling Safety and Efficiency ideologues led by self appointed bicycling experts have instigated sad/negative consequences for improving the bicycling environment in your area.
Old 10-21-20, 04:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
When I am in scary situations (night, lots of traffic, lots of cars switching lanes and fighting for position----which I try to avoid like the health risk it is, but sometimes I find myself there) I use two very bright flashing tail lights---I think if they are out of phase they are more attractive to the driver's eye, and it is easier to judge closing distances with two light sources---though likely they are not sufficiently separated to make a difference at distance.

In any case, no matter how many lights a rider runs .... if the drivers aren't looking, lights don't matter.
Old 10-21-20, 05:03 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
There have been many good ideas that have come along, like the high center tail light on cars.
Lately they have strayed into mindless tinkering with standards.
YELLOW lights have been used for the SIDE of trucks and the front signal for cars.
The STUPID new standard seems to have yellow rear flashers too. So now we have like 1953 Studebakers, that you couldn't tell which way they were going. LOL.
I have NEVER worn zebra vests that ought to be RESERVED for official reasons. I don't think they actually are better anyway.
I have exactly one front light and one nice big red one in the back that has 2 built-in reflectors on each side. Always on because I have a dyno. ZERO problems being seen by anyone, day or night or wherever I have travelled. My headlight is on my right side fork, where it belongs, IMO. The light twinkles on the spokes, a vast help for being seen sideways too.
This backwards facing headlight idea is 100% STUPID. I say the same about helmet front lights too.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-21-20 at 05:44 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 10-21-20, 05:40 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Don't neglect the reflector. When your light run out of power, a reflector can do a pretty good job.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 10-21-20, 05:47 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
High and bright enough with sufficient size/number to be seen from a good distance by a motor vehicle operator in at least the second vehicle that is tailgating the first, when both are fast approaching bicyclist in a traffic lane on a high speed road. A good countermeasure to the added risk to bicyclists riding on high speed (50+mph) presented from dumbass motorists who combine tailgating with last minute maneuvers to pass.

Does a contrarian xpert and/or his small band of followers still have any remaining influence to effect bicycling in your area? I would assume that in the past a coterie of Bicycling Safety and Efficiency ideologues led by self appointed bicycling experts have instigated sad/negative consequences for improving the bicycling environment in your area.
On your “answer.” You won’t fit under bridges or trees.

On your questions.

They had a decades long reign of terror around here against all things not status quo. So yes, their expert legacy is very much still felt, often marked by white bicycles.

But now the experts just whinge on social media over and over and over and over again.

On the bright side, one expert now edits the uniform.vehicle.code.2000.dead.dead.dead.

20 years dead.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-21-20 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-21-20, 05:51 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
...is 100% STUPID. I say the same about helmet front lights too.
In a nighttime commuting context, a helmet mounted front light is very useful. It allows me to see into my turns and communicate with drivers.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 10-21-20, 05:59 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
In a nighttime commuting context, a helmet mounted front light is very useful. It allows me to see into my turns and communicate with drivers.
When you look straight AT a driver's face, they will see ONLY that light. That is 100% NOT what you want.
That is what happened to me, riding my bike in Sandpoint ID on a dark street at night. I had NO clue where his bike was or was going. He was coming towards me. Same thing in other situations, ALL I could see was the stupid light. He was 15 feet away before I knew what he was riding.
Old 10-21-20, 07:33 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 330 Posts
When you look straight AT a driver's face, they will see ONLY that light. That is 100% NOT what you want....
Fully agree. My practice is to shine my helmet light on a (potentially) crossing vehicle’s front tire on about a 3-4 second period.

it is dangerous and inconsiderate to shine a bright light in someone’s eyes.
Old 10-21-20, 08:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I only look straight at a driver's face when shining my helmet light at them is exactly what I want. My commute includes a road where the cross traffic doesn't stop for the stop signs unless there is a car coming. If they are still moving as I get to the intersection, they get to enjoy my helmet light in the face. Otherwise it's pointed down, or off if cross traffic isn't a problem. It's very effective.
Old 10-21-20, 08:05 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Just looked up #2 because I felt intuitively it couldn’t be right, and I was kinda wrong for a different reason. Studies in Europe (Germany, Netherlands) show that rear blinky lights can actually be more dangerous because of the “moth effect” when it comes to drunk drivers. Drunks tend to drive toward flashing lights. Ever wonder why so many police cruisers get nailed by dunks at night with their safety lights on? In fact several European countries ban rear blinking lights. Who wooduthunkit?
  • Drunks run into all sorts of things. With or without flashing lights or any lights at all.
  • It's not established that the "moth effect" is significant. (The on!y study I'm aware of is one involving snow plows.)
  • How many police cruisers get "nailed by drunks"? All we know is some of them have been. We have no idea of "how many". How many are "nailed" by not drunks?
  • Even with such an effect, you might be safer with flashing lights (not all drivers are drunk).
  • Some countries ban flashing lights on bicycles (maybe, it's only Germany). No reason is indicated. Maybe, it's because flashing is reserved for emergencies. If some of them allow them, doesn't that suggest they aren't less safe?
  • Even with such an the effect, emergency vehicles all use flashing lights. Do you really think they do because they think it's less safe?

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-21-20 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-21-20, 08:22 PM
njkayaker

YELLOW lights have been used for the SIDE of trucks and the front signal for cars.
The STUPID new standard seems to have yellow rear flashers too.
???

Amber rear signals were common in the US not long ago. It seems common in the US that these are red.

I believe they are required in Europe.
Old 10-21-20, 08:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
[QUOTE=njkayaker;21754420]
  • Drunks run into all sorts of things. With or without flashing lights or any lights at all.
  • It's not established that the "moth effect" is significant. (The on!y study I'm aware of is one involving snow plows.)
  • How many police cruisers get "nailed by drunks"? All we know is some of them have been. We have no idea of "how many". How many are "nailed" by not drunks?
  • Even with such an effect, you might be safer with flashing lights (not all drivers are drunk).
  • Some countries ban flashing lights on bicycles (maybe, it's only Germany). No reason is indicated. Maybe, it's because flashing is reserved for emergencies. If some of them allow them, doesn't that suggest they aren't less safe?
  • Even with such an the effect, emergency vehicles all use flashing lights. Do you really think they do because they think it's less safe?
[/QUOTE

Perhaps you should contact the governments of the Netherlands and Germany and share the error in their ways. It would be real a shame letting your apparent expertise go to waste.

Last edited by rsbob; 10-21-20 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-22-20, 08:42 AM
njkayaker

Perhaps you should contact the governments of the Netherlands and Germany and share the error in their ways. It would be real a shame letting your apparent expertise go to waste.
You didn't really read what I wrote.

You don't really know why they aren't allowed. You are just guessing (it's confirmation bias).

Both those countries used flashing lights on emergency vehicles. That's done by most countries (likely, all of them). While flashing lights don't always work (nothing is perfect), they are still used. That would seem to indicate that flashing aren't less safe.

It's fairly common in the US that flashing blue lights are not allowed because, it would seem, blue flashing lights are reserved for emergency vehicles.

Germany might not allow red flashing red lights on bicycles for the same reason. That is, they might not be allowed because flashing red is reserved for emergencies or hazards (something a normal cyclist isn't).

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-22-20 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-22-20, 10:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I was going to ask if it was possible that this thread wouldn't turn nasty .... then i glanced at the URL ......
Old 10-22-20, 11:16 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
When you look straight AT a driver's face, they will see ONLY that light. That is 100% NOT what you want.
That is what happened to me, riding my bike in Sandpoint ID on a dark street at night. I had NO clue where his bike was or was going. He was coming towards me. Same thing in other situations, ALL I could see was the stupid light. He was 15 feet away before I knew what he was riding.
If the helmet light is blinding oncoming drivers or cyclists, it is because it is aimed too high.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-22-20, 03:23 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Boy does that light bring back memories. Strapped that bad boy on for at least two years when returning from night classes. To say the light output was underwhelming would be an understatement

That's why I later upgraded to the Xenon strobe. Not for ME to see where I was going, but for motorists as an attention-grabber so they'd see me. That's the best I could do with late 1970s technology.

Now that we have USB rechargeable LEDs, that's the way to go.
Old 10-25-20, 07:42 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvis...visibility.htm
  • "Bicyclists will frequently be riding in mixed sun and shade. Use a flashing white light on the back of your bike during the day."
The link above that goes to the ''....white light on the back....' advice is not in agreement with the more-recently-updated info here : https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvis...guidelines.htm
The regulations say to "Use a red light or reflector that is visible from at least 200 feet to the rear." These specific and sometimes conflicting bicycle regulations and safety guidelines only apply to NPS Natchez Trace Parkway. Most of the information is good.

(I used a Belt Beacon in the 1970's.)

Last edited by JanMM; 10-25-20 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-25-20, 08:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

German bicycle laws. No justification is given for any rule, so the reasoning behind is strictly conjecture. German Bicycle Laws

Boy are they strict there.

Old 10-25-20, 08:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by njkayaker
You didn't really read what I wrote.

You don't really know why they aren't allowed. You are just guessing (it's confirmation bias).

Both those countries used flashing lights on emergency vehicles. That's done by most countries (likely, all of them). While flashing lights don't always work (nothing is perfect), they are still used. That would seem to indicate that flashing aren't less safe.

It's fairly common in the US that flashing blue lights are not allowed because, it would seem, blue flashing lights are reserved for emergency vehicles.

Germany might not allow red flashing red lights on bicycles for the same reason. That is, they might not be allowed because flashing red is reserved for emergencies or hazards (something a normal cyclist isn't).
a fair enough assessment. Well done.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-26-20, 10:01 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
German bicycle laws. No justification is given for any rule, so the reasoning behind is strictly conjecture. German Bicycle Laws

Boy are they strict there.
You vill obey und you vill like it!
Likes For Milton Keynes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.