Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Longer front derailleur screw?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20, 07:35 AM
crankholio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

Does anyone have a source for a longer front derailleur set screw? Using a Shimano Deore front derailleur of some type, and the cage will come out a little too far with my current crankset. Running the set screw all the way in isn't enough. It's friction shift, so I can fiddle with it manually to get it into the right place, but I'd still like the hard stop to be more precise.
Old 11-08-20, 07:39 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Take the screw out and go to your local real hardware store (Ace Tru Value etc) and match the threads, but longer
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-08-20, 07:00 PM
crankholio

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Take the screw out and go to your local real hardware store (Ace Tru Value etc) and match the threads, but longer
I'd be very surprised if they had something. But I may give it a try anyways. There's a fastenal around here somewhere as well. Just wish the Shimano pages would give the actual threading specs of the screw. Then it would be easy to look up online. I don't have the necessary high precision calipers to measure the threads myself.
Old 11-08-20, 07:23 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by crankholio
I'd be very surprised if they had something. But I may give it a try anyways. There's a fastenal around here somewhere as well. .
I'd be surprised if they didn't. It's not like Shimano uses some exotic custom thread. I believe them to be M4 X .7, but may be M4 X .5. I buy all my bike screws at the hardware store.
Fastenal would have it too. Hardware store is probably easier. Might not have the exact head type you want, but any will work as it should be set and forget. Might throw a drop of loctite on it as well.
Old 11-08-20, 08:51 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
If you file the side of the head to be smaller than the threaded shaft, it might net you 3mm more length.