Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

is this a Columbus MINIMAX bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-21, 02:28 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts

i bought this frame a few years back, and i would like to find out what tubeset that is.

The facts:
Brand: "Learco Guerra" - bought it as such from italy, fork crown has "LG" engraved, BB has "GUERRA" stamped in. Billato says they didn't make it. (clearly a "label" brand)

Tubes are partly ovalized and oversized, compared to a SL or similar. Similarities to MAX, but it isnt it, see below.

The Upper Tube is ovalized "vertically" at the front and "horizontally at the end
The Down Tube is ovalized on the front, but round on the lower end
The Seat Tube is round

the diameters are smaller than MAX would be:

Diameters:
Upper tube: 32,5 x 24mm at the front, 25x32,5mm at the rear end
Down Tube: 32x24,5mm at the front, 28,6 at the end
Seat Tube: round 28,8mm

Rear triangle:
Chainstay: front oval 15,5 x 23,4mm
Seatstay: 12,6mm round

it is lugged and the lugs fit *very* well, this is no amateur job.
Since such tubersets require the matching lugset, i think i can rule out a "bastard" frame made from different tubesets, or "homemade ovalizing"

Question: Could this be Columbus MINIMAX? I found one source that says MINIMAX was only made for Merckx and never (or very sparsely) available to other builders (?!)

Dropouts are (very pretty) Columbus with the dove symbol cast in.

can anyone shed light on this?

Old 01-18-21, 02:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by martl

I havent the slightest idea who made the frame, but just wanted to highlight the less than common curves on the head tube lugs. The sockets for the top tube and down tube arent a constant radius and are straight lines on the side.
Perhaps that is a necessary design because of the tubing?...but if not and it is a signature of the builder, maybe that will help narrow down who made it.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-18-21, 03:29 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Jicafold may be able to weigh in re: Minimax. I’ve never had any kind of Max tubing frame, so idk, but I think he did. Very cool!
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 01-18-21, 05:25 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
I found one source that says MINIMAX was only made for Merckx and never (or very sparsely) available to other builders (?!)
I don't think that's true, although they don't come up much, there are plenty of non-EMC examples of Minimax. I was eyeing off a Minimax frame built by Sorenson in Australia - that's a long way from Belgium. Unfortunately it was the wrong size so had to let it go.

Anyway, you could check your tube sizes against the Minimax data:

Last edited by P!N20; 01-18-21 at 05:46 PM.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-18-21, 05:33 PM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Post more pictures of the frame as a whole.
Likes For shuru421:
Old 01-18-21, 05:40 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Originally Posted by shuru421
Post more pictures of the frame as a whole.
This is a spec sheet I found online - almost a match,looking at the dimensions?

this is what I have right now (it's night here) - can make some better ones of the stripped frame tomorrow!

Last edited by martl; 01-18-21 at 05:50 PM.
Likes For martl:
Old 01-18-21, 05:46 PM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
this is what I have right now (it's night here) - can make some better ones of the stripped frame tomorrow!

Yes, that could possibly be a MiniMax frame. 1 thing..please relieve it from that current build..does not do it justice.
Likes For shuru421:
Old 01-18-21, 05:56 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Originally Posted by shuru421
Yes, that could possibly be a MiniMax frame. 1 thing..please relieve it from that current build..does not do it justice.

I liked the way it rode,and I wanted a Fixie with some NJS parts at that time... The pics in the first post are the current state,it will get a nice paint job in Porsche frozen blue, and a Campagnolo Athena graphite groupset.

Last edited by martl; 01-18-21 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-25-21, 01:53 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Minimax was not custom-built for EMC
EMC did not build the frames with Columbus Minimax
In the kit produced for EMC (Columbus Mxl) only TT came from Minimax (and was assembled in reverse)
Old 01-25-21, 10:07 PM
aceves 

Bikes: Lots, mostly Bianchi

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 55 Posts
Hi martl ,

Have you considered Columbus EGO tubing? Perhaps your frame is built with this tubing. You say ovalized, but not quite MAX tubing. I have a Concorde frame with Columbus EGO tubing, but my top tube is oval on the vertical at both ends (at head tube and seat tube lugs). Same with down tube, oval on the vertical at both ends. Just wanted to throw this suggestion out there. Hope you figure out your tubing.

aceves
Old 06-28-21, 02:06 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Originally Posted by aceves
Hi martl ,

Have you considered Columbus EGO tubing? Perhaps your frame is built with this tubing. You say ovalized, but not quite MAX tubing. I have a Concorde frame with Columbus EGO tubing, but my top tube is oval on the vertical at both ends (at head tube and seat tube lugs). Same with down tube, oval on the vertical at both ends. Just wanted to throw this suggestion out there. Hope you figure out your tubing.

aceves
i haven't, will look into it But i'm sure it is Minimax, as all the measurements match. And i got the sticker applied, so it must be true (still neeeds some clear coat)

Likes For martl:
Old 05-28-22, 06:32 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Hello (oder Hallo) Martl, lange nicht "gesehen". Hope you are doing well. Ever since this thread went live I wanted to spill you my tip, which is Vetta as manufacturer, and this is a badge engineered Elltico model (which as Vetta would come with and without lugs as well, somtimes bearing "Ellittico" panto'd on the seat stay). Also the "Adidas stripe" on the BB is something they use as well, on other Ellitticos can be seen on the head lugs. Check this out, I guess its rather similar to yours, (actually just found this to check once more before I write you, and the Oria decal puzzles me as so far I've seen Col. SL's - looks like Antoino was making Max before it existed), Vetta Ellittico Classic Steel Road Frameset & Parts 1980s (steel-vintage.com) I based my opinion on other pics from other forums, like this >SOLD< 1980s Vetta/Sorgente Columbus SL Ellittico (ovalised), size 57 ctc **£180** | LFGSS. Also on one italian forum a guy was searching decals for a "max lookalike Learco Guerra" and claimed that Antonio Taverna confirmed its from him. You can do the same at info@vetta.it, he answered really nicely to my google tranlator'd message on a Max frame. Hope this helps.

Take care and Best regards, Lattz
Old 05-28-22, 09:44 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
[QUOTE=Lattz;22523357]Also the "Adidas stripe" on the BB is something they use as well, /QUOTE]
That is a Silva investment-cast BB shell, used by many builders in this timeframe.
Likes For unworthy1: