Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Unique customizations

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Unique customizations

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-21, 04:59 PM
Jinzo
Se7en

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Specialized Venge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unique customizations

Hey does anyone know person or company that may be able to convert a rim brake bike to a disc brake? I know i can change the front fork to one that has the mounts, but the back derailleur fork I think has to be drilled or welded? Reason being I just got some carbon rims and don’t want to wear them down with my rim brakes. Please help with advice and/or direction.
Old 01-18-21, 05:22 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Putting a rear disc brake mount on is a major undertaking. You could just install a disc brake up front and use it for the majority of your braking, which is good practice anyway. This would minimize but not eliminate rear wheel wear. Using proper brake shoes and keeping the free from debris will also be helpful.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-18-21, 05:28 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
The cost to reliably & safely modify an existing frame would be near the same as buying a frame designed for and built with disc brakes.
Old 01-18-21, 05:30 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You would pretty much need to see a frame dealer or bike shop that does bike welding. There may be several in NYC. I have no idea about cost. Roger
Old 01-18-21, 05:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinzo
Hey does anyone know person or company that may be able to convert a rim brake bike to a disc brake? I know i can change the front fork to one that has the mounts, but the back derailleur fork I think has to be drilled or welded? Reason being I just got some carbon rims and don’t want to wear them down with my rim brakes. Please help with advice and/or direction.
I like the lack of information you have given, it really helps us give you help.

Generally no you can't just turn a rim brake bike into a disc brake bike nor can you convert a rim brake hub to a disc brake hub. If you are running disc brakes you will need a 135mm, 142, 148 or wider rear triangle and either I.S., Post or Flat mounts for your disc brakes front and rear. On steel frames you could potentially weld an I.S. tab but again you need the spacing and the proper hubs. If you don't want to wear down carbon rims don't use them and they will never get worn down however properly made carbon rims for rim brakes are designed for rim brakes when using the proper brake pads.

If you are interested in disc brakes I would look at a more modern disc brake bike with thru axles and keep the rim brake bike (N+1). I personally love my rim brake road bike and have no huge want to go with discs on it. I have excellent brakes, pads and cables/housing along with decent levers. If I were to replace the bike I would probably go disc brakes but I have no need to replace the bike right now.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-18-21, 06:04 PM
Jinzo
Se7en

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I like the lack of information you have given, it really helps us give you help.

Generally no you can't just turn a rim brake bike into a disc brake bike nor can you convert a rim brake hub to a disc brake hub. If you are running disc brakes you will need a 135mm, 142, 148 or wider rear triangle and either I.S., Post or Flat mounts for your disc brakes front and rear. On steel frames you could potentially weld an I.S. tab but again you need the spacing and the proper hubs. If you don't want to wear down carbon rims don't use them and they will never get worn down however properly made carbon rims for rim brakes are designed for rim brakes when using the proper brake pads.

If you are interested in disc brakes I would look at a more modern disc brake bike with thru axles and keep the rim brake bike (N+1). I personally love my rim brake road bike and have no huge want to go with discs on it. I have excellent brakes, pads and cables/housing along with decent levers. If I were to replace the bike I would probably go disc brakes but I have no need to replace the bike right now.

I humbly apologize for the lack of information, I use a Fuji roubaix 2010 model. The frame is aluminum with carbon forks, but the back bottom derailleur fork is alloy. the bike I plan to get is a considerable upgrade for performance. and just wanted more reliable brakes in any weather with my everyday bike. I read it is possible. I was hoping someone could name a company or shop that does it so I can inquire. But GCN did state that carbon rims can be compromised with rim brakes and I was taking heed to that.
Old 01-18-21, 06:09 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
An aluminum frame complicates matters even more as regards welding/brazing. It is best to not try and make your bike something it is not.

Last edited by dsbrantjr; 01-18-21 at 06:12 PM.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-18-21, 06:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I humbly apologize for the lack of information, I use a Fuji roubaix 2010 model. The frame is aluminum with carbon forks, but the back bottom derailleur fork is alloy. the bike I plan to get is a considerable upgrade for performance. and just wanted more reliable brakes in any weather with my everyday bike. I read it is possible. I was hoping someone could name a company or shop that does it so I can inquire. But GCN did state that carbon rims can be compromised with rim brakes and I was taking heed to that.
It's ok you just have to recognize that when asking a question like that you gotta help us so we can help you ; )

You cannot add disc brakes to that bike. Yes you actually could but it would be beyond expensive and you would have to replace the whole rear triangle and probably get the bike heat treated as well as repaint and get new wheels along with the full overhaul you would be doing because you have to strip it and rebuild it. Plus you need the new fork. A Fuji Roubaix is not worth that kind of money even the top end model wouldn't be even a rare race used bike wouldn't be. It may not be a bad bike but if you are already looking at something new, get that something new with what you want and save the Roubaix for other usage. I would personally get a nice titanium frame and then you can ride in the rain and bad weather and not worry about corrosion and if it gets scuffed up you can just wipe it off with something like ScotchBrite pads.

I love GCN but that information isn't super useful out of context. Any rim brakes will wear down and certainly Carbon fiber is not a great surface for braking but with the correct pads and brake usage you will be OK. You just need to monitor your braking surfaces a little better and make sure you are using a quality rim from a known quantity. A lot of good companies that are still producing rim brake compatible carbon rims are making strides to help prevent issues and early wear.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-18-21, 06:28 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
Your Fuji does not warrant any custom work, even if you could find someone to do it. Frankly I don't know why you would have carbon wheels for it unless you got a five fingered discount. If you are in fact getting a nicer bike you could sell the carbon wheels and stick with aluminum for your "everyday" Fuji. Otherwise, just buy the proper carbon friendly pads and call it good.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-18-21, 06:42 PM
Jinzo
Se7en

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Your Fuji does not warrant any custom work, even if you could find someone to do it. Frankly I don't know why you would have carbon wheels for it unless you got a five fingered discount. If you are in fact getting a nicer bike you could sell the carbon wheels and stick with aluminum for your "everyday" Fuji. Otherwise, just buy the proper carbon friendly pads and call it good.
thank you so much for the insight. I’m getting a specialized venge, I bought the carbon rims for when I do go out and do training rides. That’s all. I liked the Fuji and did a lot of marginal upgrades to it. But I really appreciate all who commented on this thread for me
Likes For Jinzo:
Old 01-18-21, 07:12 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
Some Lowrider sites sell bolt-on disk caliper mounts. They fit over the axle and then clamp to the frame or fork to control rotation. The bolt-on caliper mounts are primarily for appearance, not function IMHO.
Old 01-18-21, 07:31 PM
Jinzo
Se7en

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyor6
Some Lowrider sites sell bolt-on disk caliper mounts. They fit over the axle and then clamp to the frame or fork to control rotation. The bolt-on caliper mounts are primarily for appearance, not function IMHO.
Do you have a name or web address? By any chance?
Old 01-18-21, 07:52 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
The one on EBay is a really good one for the back wheel. It works on skewers only; no solid axles. Suitable for performance riding. https://www.ebay.com/i/233859325432?...yABEgJAdPD_BwE

The low cost option is from Walmart.com. Suitable for cruising, but not performance riding.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainless-steel-holder-Bicycle-Disc-Brake-Modification-Bracket-Frame-Adapter-Mounting-Holder/921986518?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101038322&&adid=22222222227375192592&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl 3=471682646347&wl4=aud-430887228898la-976307517278&wl5=9061128&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=266468869&wl11=online&wl12=921986518&veh=sem&gc lid=EAIaIQobChMIyKSFuu2m7gIVUuDACh1WsgO3EAQYBCABEgLTavD_BwE

Now you still need to purchase the following to use disk brakes:
-Wheelset with disk compatible hubs.
-Disk brake set - Includes rotors, bolts and calipers.

Buy the parts and do it yourself.

Last edited by surveyor6; 01-18-21 at 08:00 PM. Reason: trouble with links
Old 01-18-21, 09:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Do you have a name or web address? By any chance?
Trust me that is a bad idea waiting to happen. Because it does exist doesn't mean it should exist. Plus I think those were designed for steel frames, I would not want to clamp something to a lightweight aluminum road frame that I am trying to use for braking especially. Plus your frame is 130mm at the rear and disc brakes require 135mm+ hubs.

If you attempted to clamp to carbon you are in for a world of trouble but it is very unlikely that would fit anyway so you are good there.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-18-21, 10:53 PM
Jinzo
Se7en

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Trust me that is a bad idea waiting to happen. Because it does exist doesn't mean it should exist. Plus I think those were designed for steel frames, I would not want to clamp something to a lightweight aluminum road frame that I am trying to use for braking especially. Plus your frame is 130mm at the rear and disc brakes require 135mm+ hubs.

If you attempted to clamp to carbon you are in for a world of trouble but it is very unlikely that would fit anyway so you are good there.
thanks, I appreciate your input. And I am vegan as well 😅
Likes For Jinzo:
Old 01-19-21, 10:00 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
thank you so much for the insight. I’m getting a specialized venge, I bought the carbon rims for when I do go out and do training rides. That’s all. I liked the Fuji and did a lot of marginal upgrades to it. But I really appreciate all who commented on this thread for me
Rims have to be built up as wheels. Unless of course you are using the term "rim" instead of the term "wheel". Are the rims suitable for rim brakes? Many carbon rims designed for disc brake wheels do not have a brake track and cannot be used for rim brakes
Old 01-19-21, 11:05 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

thanks, I appreciate your input. And I am vegan as well 😅
Awesome good to have another person on the path of veganism. Would not want anyone getting hurt or damaging their bikes for these things.
Old 01-19-21, 11:18 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Not an answer to your question but - is this is going to be a second bike, why not just get wheels with aluminum rims? Aluminum rims, good brakes and good pads (KoolStop) work really well. Yes, you do have to replace the rims periodically but unless you are riding northern salted/sanded or Pacific NW lava dust, that wear takes years. With a quality hand build, you can just do a rim swap when the time comes. (I live in the lava dust country. In my commuting days I couldn't get two winters out of my rims, but I regularly went three rims to a set of spokes. Rim swaps are easy. Tape the new to the old. Swap the spokes over and tighten and true as usual.)

If your current brakes are not as good as you want, you could always go to the workhorse centerpulls like Mafac or Paul. (Paul would be expensive but probably cheaper overall than welding and discs even if you didn't have a triangle spreading issue.) End result would be a simple bike that works well and is easy to service. Cheap to run. Doesn't require much attention and the attention it does want requires no special tools or insight.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-19-21, 04:03 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You could just install a disc brake up front and use it for the majority of your braking, which is good practice anyway. This would minimize but not eliminate rear wheel wear.
I'd be wary about putting a disc brake on a fork that wasn't designed to handle disc brake loads. Replace the fork with one designed to use a disc brake, and it should be fine.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-19-21, 08:29 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Depending on your weight and how long your descents are, you could just convert the front brake as that's the one doing most of the work. Learn to shift your weight back so you don't endo (good to have as an ingrained habit anyway).

This is assuming the rim you have can safely be rebuilt with a disc hub.

Still, I agree that it doesn't sound worth it. No one needs to ride on expensive wheels in inclement weather. Use your alloy wheels when the forecast says it'll be wet, use the carbon ones when the forecast is good.
Old 01-19-21, 09:03 PM
Jinzo
Se7en

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Depending on your weight and how long your descents are, you could just convert the front brake as that's the one doing most of the work. Learn to shift your weight back so you don't endo (good to have as an ingrained habit anyway).

This is assuming the rim you have can safely be rebuilt with a disc hub.

Still, I agree that it doesn't sound worth it. No one needs to ride on expensive wheels in inclement weather. Use your alloy wheels when the forecast says it'll be wet, use the carbon ones when the forecast is good.
thanks so much. I don’t actually plan to ride in inclement weather lol, but I see your point nonetheless. I heard whiskey parts and enve are the best carbon forks out there, as they are purpose driven rather than market driven like venzo. Any other quality brands for carbon forks I can look into?
Old 01-19-21, 10:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

thanks so much. I don’t actually plan to ride in inclement weather lol, but I see your point nonetheless. I heard whiskey parts and enve are the best carbon forks out there, as they are purpose driven rather than market driven like venzo. Any other quality brands for carbon forks I can look into?
Having both Whisky (spelled properly like the delicious beverage from the Scottish Isles) and ENVE forks I couldn't really see myself going to anything else unless I needed something special. If I was doing a gravel build w/tapered steerer I would probably go with the Rodeo Labs Spork (now in Gen 3 and looking great) or possibly Cinq as they have a touring version as well that is non-tapered. Aside from that maybe some from some custom builders like Ren Cycles or Seven but beyond that I am pretty set.

Ritchey is fine option as well and they have loads of options some in full carbon as well as some alloy steerer options (which after riding full carbon, I am good with that) however I really like the price of Whisky and ENVE has been good to me. Now if someone would let me at the reigns, I would probably just build a Rodeo Spork and just make sure it works with all the accessories I need and maybe have a non-tapered version as well but it pretty well hits a lot of boxes for adventuring.
Old 01-20-21, 08:22 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
What people are trying to tell you ...is it's not as simple as having a mount for a caliper.
Old 01-20-21, 10:56 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
You only need to use your rear brake sparingly, so a new disc compatible fork and keep rim brakes on the rear with carbon-specific pads.

As mentioned above, your frame is not designed to handle the forces or the location of the forces provided by a disc brake.

Even if you found someone to weld a disc brake mount on the back of your frame, without heat treatment it will weaken the frame as well as subject it to loads it was never intended to see.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 01-20-21, 12:24 PM
Jinzo
Se7en

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
You only need to use your rear brake sparingly, so a new disc compatible fork and keep rim brakes on the rear with carbon-specific pads.

As mentioned above, your frame is not designed to handle the forces or the location of the forces provided by a disc brake.

Even if you found someone to weld a disc brake mount on the back of your frame, without heat treatment it will weaken the frame as well as subject it to loads it was never intended to see.
thats a very good point. I was there was a way to show you guys my bike so you could see it. But I didn’t make enough posts on here to be able to upload

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.