Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is a speed sensor worth adding to bike computer (Wahoo)?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is a speed sensor worth adding to bike computer (Wahoo)?

Old 07-10-20, 12:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
how does auto calibrating work? Is that better than just imputing the actual?
If you actually know the actual, Bob's your uncle. But the actual is going to be different every day depending how much air you put in your tires. If you look it up in the table that came with the sensor, it'll probably be wrong because the same tire will be different sizes on different rims. Auto basically does a rollout test using GPS to measure the wheel size.
Old 03-18-21, 05:38 AM
krunk713

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I have a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt and just added the cadence sensor. Is there any advantage to adding a speed sensor? Ie. does the speed sensor have any advantage over just the GPS built into the computer? Perhaps more reliable at times? More accurate? I don’t know. Interested in thoughts.
I recently realized my Wahoo Speed Sensor's battery was dead; possibly it's been dead for months/ thousands of miles. Didn't matter. I'd been using the AUTO setting, rather than tire circumference, which then defaults to GPS. My speed and distance results have been spot on. BTW, when I did use tire circumference setting, I got very skewed results over a 40 mile ride. I would have to enter a false circumference measurement to get results to match up with reality. (reality being riding alongside known exact distances). So, at times when relying on GPS under heavy tree cover for instance, I may not get an accurate display, but at end of ride my speed and distance results are more accurate without using a speed sensor.
Likes For krunk713:
Old 03-18-21, 08:53 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by krunk713
I recently realized my Wahoo Speed Sensor's battery was dead; possibly it's been dead for months/ thousands of miles. Didn't matter. I'd been using the AUTO setting, rather than tire circumference, which then defaults to GPS. My speed and distance results have been spot on. BTW, when I did use tire circumference setting, I got very skewed results over a 40 mile ride. I would have to enter a false circumference measurement to get results to match up with reality. (reality being riding alongside known exact distances). So, at times when relying on GPS under heavy tree cover for instance, I may not get an accurate display, but at end of ride my speed and distance results are more accurate without using a speed sensor.
I agree that the Auto setting is the best way to get accurate, calibrated results from the speed sensor. But I don't agree that the setting means you're defaulting to GPS for measurement. All Auto does is use GPS data to periodically calibrate the wheel sensor, which continues to provide the distance and speed data.
Old 03-18-21, 09:23 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm not really sure why anyone wouldn't use one.

Is it absolutely necessary? Of course not. But if you've purchased a $200+ GPS unit to track your rides and provide real-time on-bike data, spending another $25 to attach a sensor to the rear hub to help it work better seems like a no-brainer.
Old 03-18-21, 09:30 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Depends on use case.

Oddly, I just ran across an example: someone was looking at the aerodynamics of handlebar bags and claimed that the bags could act as a fairing to reduce drag rather than as a parachute to increase drag. To support his claim, he coasted down a couple of hills with and without the handlebar bag. He reported the maximum speed attained on each run, and observed that max speed with the bag was quite a bit higher than max speed without the bag. It turns out that he was using GPS for speed and in the handlebar bag run, the speed was anomalous: it jumped up by ~10 km/h in one second, stayed high for 3 seconds then dropped back down in one second right after. On the run without handlebar bag, the speed was smooth. I think if speed increased by 10 km/h in one second, then a couple of seconds later it dropped by 10 km/h in one second, that would be pretty noticeable. I suggested that if he really wanted to know how aerodynamic his handlebar bag is, he should use a dedicated speed sensor.

But not everyone has this particular use case.
Old 03-18-21, 09:31 AM
Robert A

Originally Posted by msu2001la

Is it absolutely necessary? Of course not. But if you've purchased a $200+ GPS unit to track your rides and provide real-time on-bike data, spending another $25 to attach a sensor to the rear hub to help it work better seems like a no-brainer.
It isn't absolutely necessary, but it does provide faster, more accurate data, especially on grades. I think GPS only measures the horizontal distance between two points. The wheel sensor will measure actual distance on the road.
Old 03-18-21, 09:40 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I only use the speed sensor for trainer rides, outdoors I just let the GPS do it's thing, haven't had any issues. If your ride is "ruined" because your data is slightly off, then you prob need to chill out a bit.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-18-21, 09:52 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I only use the speed sensor for trainer rides, outdoors I just let the GPS do it's thing...

I can understand someone just not bothering to ever buy the sensor, but if you already own it and use it, why would you take it off when you ride outside? Different wheelset?
Old 03-18-21, 10:16 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I can understand someone just not bothering to ever buy the sensor, but if you already own it and use it, why would you take it off when you ride outside? Different wheelset?
Two bikes with different wheelsets, I don't bother moving it, if I happen to have the training wheelset on, then it's there.
Old 03-18-21, 04:44 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
As some previous posts mentioned, a rear wheel speed sensor is useful.
1. for an indoor rear wheel trainer.
2. your recorded speed goes to zero as soon as you stop, with none of the usual GPS drift. I used to get some 1-2 mph GPS readings when stopped for lunch.
3. more accurate grade percentages, especially with GPS units that have barometers for elevation. Slight distance errors when climbing will affect the grade quite a bit.
Old 03-18-21, 06:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Speed sensors are really good at telling you the magnetic ore content within the bridge you're riding over.
Old 03-18-21, 07:24 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Because time is what actually matters for performance? I.e., the lower the time for a particular distance, the higher the placing, whether in races, group rides, or KOMs.

I have a GPS computer because that's what I use to see all of the things that do matter in my rides: notably power and time. When racing, it's to record the data to look at afterwards.

Speed as an absolute in and of itself simply doesn't matter that much to me, though of course I do check the speed provided by the GPS fairly routinely and all.
Old 03-18-21, 08:43 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
As others have said, the sensor that you can strap around the rear wheel hub is useful on a trainer or when using the rollers with a fork mount. Also, you can save some with some of the lower priced ANT+/BLE units that Amazon sells. Believe mine was around $22 and there were some under $20. It works flawless with the Wahoo fitness app and with the Cateye app (I don’t even have a Wahoo unit, just a Cateye Padrone Smart).

One interesting thing regarding GPS drift. If I have GPS on when riding the rollers, the map shows me wiggling up and down the street near my house, so that gives some idea of the inaccuracies when used to measure speed.
Old 03-20-21, 06:14 PM
gkamieneski

This is the one I have been using on my rear hub indoors.

https://www.amazon.com/moofit-Blueto.../dp/B085ZGKDDT
Old 03-20-21, 07:41 PM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I regularly ride a rail trail that’s is almost all canopy and neither the wahoo or garmin can maintain an accurate speed it’s not even close. On the regular road it’s fine but the speed sensor seems a good bit more accurate on accelerations and stopping even then. I like it, for as much money as I spend on that stupid bike the speed sensor pretty cheap cost wise
Old 03-20-21, 07:51 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
This is the one I have been using on my rear hub indoors.

https://www.amazon.com/moofit-Blueto.../dp/B085ZGKDDT
Whoa. That's a little big, and pretty ugly.
Old 03-20-21, 07:53 PM
gkamieneski

Sorry, it is way out of scale. Unit is actually about an inch square.
Old 03-23-24, 09:00 PM
roadcarver

Bikes: 2023 Pinarello Paris and 2022 3T Exploro LTD

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noting that when the battery goes out on the speed sensor, it starts sending all kinds of crazy data to the head unit. This happened to me today so I unpaired it and continued on my ride with the GPS speed data.
Old 03-23-24, 09:04 PM
Robert A

Originally Posted by roadcarver
Noting that when the battery goes out on the speed sensor, it starts sending all kinds of crazy data to the head unit. This happened to me today so I unpaired it and continued on my ride with the GPS speed data.
And I had that exact same experience. Once you notice unexpected speed results, or even a stuck speed, you'll begin to lose part of your ride if you don't disconnect the sensor ASAP.
Likes For Robert A:
Old 03-23-24, 09:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
I’ve read about potential glitches with the speed sensor. Has anyone had this issue? Seems like it can’t hurt to try one even though I haven’t had issues with the GPS on the computer. Needed the cadence anyways.
Crossing metal decked bridges, the sensor can get inaccurate.
Old 03-23-24, 09:52 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Device dependent. I’ve noticed in Garmin’s when not using a speed sensor, the at that second speed reading is sometimes 4-5 seconds behind actual speed. I know this as if I speed up a bit, the speed display lags. This goes away when using a sensor. A sensor is useful when on a group road ride and trying to minting a steady speed.
Old 03-24-24, 01:59 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Four years later... Are people still using speed sensors when there is GPS? A couple years ago I picked up a computer and it came with the cadence/speed sensors and I was confused why a speed sensor was a thing. I suppose its primary use case is for indoor training?

Last edited by tFUnK; 03-24-24 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-24-24, 05:03 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Four years later... Are people still using speed sensors when there is GPS? A could years ago I picked up a computer and it came with the cadence/speed sensors and I was confused why a speed sensor was a thing. I suppose its primary use case is for indoor training?
Primary use is still for those who wish to see accurate real time speed on their display. GPS speed is still pretty laggy on my Garmin 530.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-24-24, 07:49 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Four years later... Are people still using speed sensors when there is GPS? A could years ago I picked up a computer and it came with the cadence/speed sensors and I was confused why a speed sensor was a thing. I suppose its primary use case is for indoor training?
In general, this thread has not been about old school non GPS cycling computers that use a magnet/sensor on the wheel and fork. It’s about speed sensors used in conjunction with a GPS device. As noted in the assorted posts, GPS can generate errors due to poor signal in wooded areas, tall buildings, etc..,, the speed reading can lag with the basic GPS signal, and you can use the sensor on a rear wheel on a wind trainer. Etc….,
Old 03-24-24, 10:34 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Primary use is still for those who wish to see accurate real time speed on their display. GPS speed is still pretty laggy on my Garmin 530.
Speed sensor is also useful if you ride in areas with poor GPS signal, like the coastal redwoods. Without a speed sensor, my Garmin auto-stops (and beeps) until it reacquires a signal.

It's also useful if you display grade or VAM, which can go whacky when the GPS signal is weak or inaccurate.

The speed sensor is also a "distance traveled" sensor.

Likes For terrymorse:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.