Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Affordable leather saddles?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Affordable leather saddles?

Old 03-25-21, 07:23 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
"Some folks don't believe that the Taiwanese can make stuff as well as the British did, but there's no factual basis for that belief, and in many cases this attitude may be traced to racism." - Sheldon Brown
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-25-21, 08:24 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Yep, same here, new, old, used, old, new, broken in, not broken in and many in between, Pro, Team Pro, B17, Imperial, B17 Special, always works out for me.
I've had good and bad results with Brooks, Rivet, Ideale, and Selle AnAtomica. I would go back to all, maybe not Rivet. The best in recent times have been Brooks, Ideale, and S-A.

I bought one Gyes about 10 years ago, a return/re-sell from Velo Orange, Model 6. I got rid of it because the leather, as thick as it may be, did not suspend me. I was either pushing back against the cantle, or sagging into the saddle. I tried adding screw tension, and with just a fraction of a turn it turned into a a@@ hatchet. It may have a been a fluke of bad leather, but I don't see why I should chance it. Any case, I've not stumbled across them anywhere but V-O. S-A would be my go-to.
Old 03-26-21, 05:58 AM
Oslerblue

Bikes: Bottecchia, CCM, BSA, Miele, Holdsworth, Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for that recommendation ... will give Nikwax a try.
Old 03-26-21, 12:42 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

I think this place in the UK has rebranded Gyes saddles...
I ~think~ Gyes made at various times private label saddles for Cardiff, Dia Compe, Fenix, Fyxation, Lekker, Origin8, Papillionaire, Shinola, Sobdeall, Spa, Torelli, Velo Orange and Zimbale. Last I heard Gyes manufactured Rivet saddles to Rivet's proprietary designs. Those BLB saddles look like private label Gyes, too.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-26-21, 01:05 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I ~think~ Gyes made at various times private label saddles for Cardiff...
Definitely. I had a Cardiff that was exactly like my Gyes. The imprint on the skirt was the only difference.

And yes, they are really hard. Maybe terribly difficult to break-in. But I kind of like 'em that way.
Old 03-26-21, 01:42 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Definitely. I had a Cardiff that was exactly like my Gyes. The imprint on the skirt was the only difference.

And yes, they are really hard. Maybe terribly difficult to break-in. But I kind of like 'em that way.
I must too, LOL! To be honest about my situation and saddles. I hardly ever take the same bike out twice in a row. I really do ride all those bikes I have. So I never get used to one saddle. What I have found is that the most comfortable to me are the Brooks Swallow and Gyes equivalent, the Fizik Kurve saddles and the flat style fabric Scoops. I can tolerate some other's like the various flat Flite models but I tend to stick to the ones that work for me. A lot of other saddles are just butt hatchets to me. But (pun intended, LOL!) on those days when my bottom is just sore or whatever I usually grab either a Brook or Gyes equipped bike to give myself the ultimate comfort. For me they both seem to ride the same, couldn't say one is harder than the other. Oh and I hate, I say hate the old Turbo saddles. Ugh pure torture past the first 5 miles or so.
Old 03-28-21, 10:06 AM
don_87ST

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SR500 / 1988 Cannondale ST700 / 1995 Cannondale T400 / 1995 Trek 520 / 1988 Miyata 615 / Zunow Z-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Additionally, I want new because my old butt wants to be the saddle's break-in buddy.
x2.
Just be aware that some of the cheaper leather saddles splay out quite a bit after some moderate use, while the more expensive saddles tend to retain their shape. It seems that you get what you pay for. I agree that if you are patient, you may find a deal on a lightly used leather saddle from a good brand (Brooks, Rivet, Selle Anatomica). Good luck.
Old 03-28-21, 10:49 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by don_87ST
x2.
Just be aware that some of the cheaper leather saddles splay out quite a bit after some moderate use, while the more expensive saddles tend to retain their shape. It seems that you get what you pay for. I agree that if you are patient, you may find a deal on a lightly used leather saddle from a good brand (Brooks, Rivet, Selle Anatomica). Good luck.
It appears there are a lot of used suspended-leather saddles on secondhand-sites that are “splayed out” as you put it. Is this primarily from not adjusting the tension tighter as the seat stretches? Riding when the seat is wet? Can the splay be corrected with tightening and water-soak re-shaping?
Old 03-29-21, 06:15 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
It appears there are a lot of used suspended-leather saddles on secondhand-sites that are “splayed out” as you put it. Is this primarily from not adjusting the tension tighter as the seat stretches? Riding when the seat is wet? Can the splay be corrected with tightening and water-soak re-shaping?
Splaying from both getting wet and lack of tension allowing a hammock to form.
Solution: Lace it across the bottom.
Lacing adds another variable to seat shape and can be useful for tuning a saddle for fit..

As for breaking in a Gyes, let it get a bit damp while riding then hit it with Nikwax water based wax while still damp. Reapply every now and again, after a while you'll notice it on soaks in at pressure points like sit bones, eventually even they'll become waterproof. That'll keep it's shape because dry leather doesn't stretch. They don't tend to stretch much anyway because of the reinforcing, but still need a bit of initial re-tensioning.
Old 03-29-21, 06:23 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
The splaying can also be caused by over-tensioning and time. Very difficult to save these saddles if you want them close to their original shape.
Old 03-29-21, 07:38 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 926 Posts
This thread pushed me in the opposite direction and I just bought a Berthoud.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 03-29-21, 12:03 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
This thread pushed me in the opposite direction and I just bought a Berthoud.
Then you’ll get another like I did 😉
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 03-29-21, 12:19 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I paid more than $20 for a Brooks saddle in 1971 and paid another $15 to have a friend remove the rivits and soften the leather and then re-revit it to the saddle frame. With inflation that would be equavalent to spending $245 today for this saddle. I still have the saddle and the custom frame bike and the I paid $150 to have the frame made and another $450 for Campy components and wheels and Phil Woods bottom bracket or a total of more than $600 which would be equivalent to spending $4,100 today.

I put a premium on a good saddle that I will be sitting on for thousands of hours. What are grossly overpriced are the saddles with all plastic construction that sell for $120 or more.
Old 03-30-21, 02:55 AM
Krov9

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
This is OP again. I ended up getting a slightly used Brooks saddle in the end. Compared to the cheap plastic and foam saddles I'm used to, it seems pretty bulky and large, but time will tell how it feels in use.

I don't deny that in leather items, price pretty much goes hand in hand with quality. This goes for shoes, briefcases, belts, leather jackets etc. so quite naturally the same basic principles apply to bicycle saddles too.

For example, I recently uncovered an old pair of BBS brand leather handlebar grips I bought several years ago and had in storage for along time. The thin leather wrapped around the foam underneath was all wrinkly and appeared to have grown black mold spots that I couldn't get out I think the leather is bonded, and when trying to clean it, I actually sanded away the plastic coating and exposed the leather-based material underneath. I think the foam under the leather has been slightly damp when I put them into a box, and so the leather has molded from inside out
Old 03-30-21, 08:57 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 225 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought a B17 Aged. The leather is a little softer to start and it comes with lacing to help retain its shape. I have it on my 1965 Dilecta LeBlanc where it doesn't get excessive use, but is comfortable for a longer ride. It also just looks great.

Old 03-30-21, 10:37 AM
Krov9

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Really nice! I would have thought that coming pre-laced would be a negative sign for a saddle, but I guess not
Old 03-30-21, 01:16 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by jamesdak
To be honest I'm not sure where to source (Gyes) anymore other than Ebay. Crow Cycle used to be my go to source for them but they seem to be gone now.
FWIW my ebay-USA Gyes TI-17A seller was Crow Cycle.
Old 03-30-21, 01:25 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Krov9
I don't deny that in leather items, price pretty much goes hand in hand with quality. This goes for shoes, briefcases, belts, leather jackets etc. so quite naturally the same basic principles apply to bicycle saddles too.
Having read Consumer Reports for the last half-century, I've seen innumerable items that were expensive for no measurable reason, and other goods that punched well above their weight class.
Old 03-31-21, 12:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Having read Consumer Reports for the last half-century, I've seen innumerable items that were expensive for no measurable reason, and other goods that punched well above their weight class.
These are exceptions that prove the rule. They are not a guarantee that you can always get something good for less than the going rate.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-31-21, 01:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I've had good and bad results with Brooks, Rivet, Ideale, and Selle AnAtomica. I would go back to all, maybe not Rivet. The best in recent times have been Brooks, Ideale, and S-A.

I bought one Gyes about 10 years ago, a return/re-sell from Velo Orange, Model 6. I got rid of it because the leather, as thick as it may be, did not suspend me. I was either pushing back against the cantle, or sagging into the saddle. I tried adding screw tension, and with just a fraction of a turn it turned into a a@@ hatchet. It may have a been a fluke of bad leather, but I don't see why I should chance it. Any case, I've not stumbled across them anywhere but V-O. S-A would be my go-to.
May I ask why you dislike the Rivet?
Old 03-31-21, 02:33 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I have two VO sprung saddles and one B-17ish saddle that I assume were Gyes built. I have one of the sprung saddles on a three speed that I ride regularly. Maybe it's because it is sprung, but it is quite comfortable; the second sprung saddle is waiting for another build. I bought both during a VO sale for $40 each, so I am happy.
The third saddle reminds me of a Fujita "Belt" and that thing is hard. It was most likely Gyes built as well and I got it for $8 new without a box at a swap.
Old 06-20-21, 05:12 PM
hihik

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Here’s my Father’s Day gift - a buffalo hide sprung saddle by CDHPOWER. Haven’t tried it out yet and never had a Brooks to compare it to but I’ll give it a shot at quarter of the price. Let me know if I can help with any questions about it.

Old 06-30-21, 11:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
So I took a look at the Gyes website. Generally it's obvious which Brooks models they're trying to replicate, but I'm curious about a couple: does the GS-19 map to the Pro, and the GS-24 to the B17 Narrow, or is it the other way around? Sometimes it's hard to gauge the roundness of the tops from online pictures.

Thanks!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-01-21, 05:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Gyes, on ebay and other such places. Made very well in Taiwan.
These can be purchased on AliExpress right now, made identically to Gyes. Search under "retro vintage saddle", and you'll find them. In the 50 euro range shipped.
Old 07-01-21, 06:49 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Interesting how little love here for selle anatomica saddles. I like the "classic" model (without a cutout) a lot and use it on two bikes: a 70s Fuji Finest and a 1982 Peugeot PXN 10. The Fuji has seen a lot of miles. I found that saddle comfortable from the start. I just mounted one on the Peugeot and took it out on a 25 mile ride yesterday. It's a neat saddle. I like Brooks pros as well but the SA saddle has nice long rails and is available with a cast aluminum frame (steel rails) if you want to save some weight (80 grams).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.