Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Positive Experiences on the Road

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Positive Experiences on the Road

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-21, 03:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Was out riding near woodward ave during the cruise week & passed by a distressed classic car. It was not firing up, & i roughly could hear it struggling to bang a spark. I circled around, asked if I could take a peek. After a minor points adjustment, the Mopar was back in action. The old guy offered me cash, I declined. He offered an ice cold water, that I greatly appreciated & accepted. He was rather shocked that a young cat could know such vintage adjustments.
Old 03-31-21, 05:42 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Lots to pick from.... My 10-year old daughter and I were riding coast-to-coast on a tandem, pulling our BOB trailer. In a town west of Gettysburg, PA, a guy that turned out to be the President of a small, Mennonite university called out from his front porch to ask if we'd like a glass of iced tea. We spent an enjoyable hour on the porch with him, sipping tea and discussing life.
Old 03-31-21, 08:08 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
helped a 5 year old put his chain back on in the neighborhood
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 04-01-21, 05:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Goofin' around on U.S. 2 somewhere near the MT/ND border during a construction delay.

Old 04-01-21, 07:11 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Goofin' around on U.S. 2 somewhere near the MT/ND border during a construction delay.
That's a nice shot. The MF camera?
Old 04-01-21, 08:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I had someone holler out from a car at they loved my jersey.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-01-21 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-01-21, 09:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
That's a nice shot. The MF camera?
No. Nikon 6006. The Mamiya was stowed in a pannier. I wouldn't have taken it out in that situation. Didn't know when we would have to get moving again.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-01-21, 01:06 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
The vast majority of my interactions are neutral, but when there is an "interaction" for the most part those are positive. I try to give out good karma, always smile at drivers, salute when they wait for me to cross or when they back up so they give me room, eye contact and a head nod when waiting at a stop...whatever. I'm positive with them and give good feedback. Wave when they pass me if they've waited behind me because of oncoming traffic. I do try to avoid higher traffic areas or climbing on narrow roads with lots of traffic and no bike lane or shoulder (although I'm unable to avoid these all the time) so I don't feel in the way so much. Avoid city traffic cycling as much as I can and mostly stick to outer areas.

I also never go looking for "interactions" either. I don't take pictures of cars parked in a bike lane to post on a FB group...I just ride around. I walk a lot too and have been yelled at or had things thrown at me (a bottle once, but it broke and shattered at my feet and not my head thankfully) so I guess I assume *******s are around...but again it's a rarity. I don't sneer when people might come out to far at a stop sign they're used to floating through as long as they stop and I can make it around. **** happens.

My cycling heuristic is way different than a lot of other cyclists apparently. If you've ever been a part of a commuting cyclists group it appears that when not talking about lights they complain-complain-complain about drivers, parking, taking the lane, etc. My measure is this...HIT or NOT HIT. That's it, my "fear" is not that great of vehicles besides there's nothing I could do about it anyway (other than staying inside but **** that) so why let it get to me? Bike's are fun. At least, they're supposed to be and there's plenty of other things to get my dander up over. Gotta chill a bit and ride on people.
Old 04-01-21, 01:21 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Day riding down a country road. I saw an Armadillo and laid my bike down to take a pic.

Guy driving a Pick Up stops and asked if I needed help.
I lived in Texas for a while. He was asking if you needed help running over the armadillo.

But my weirdest experience was that I ran over a small armadillo on my bike! This was more than 20 years ago. I was riding along a bike path in a park, close to dusk, and a little armadillo came skittering out of the bushes, and before I could swerve, my front wheel went over it. Somehow it got caught between my pedal and frame, and being on a bike with a coaster brake, I couldn't back pedal. By that point I had one foot on the ground, and somehow the armadillo managed to release itself, and went skittering off, completely unfazed. I was a bit shook up, but continued my ride.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 04-01-21, 01:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10416 Post(s)
Liked 11,876 Times in 6,083 Posts
The Spring wildflowers are blooming all along my routes, which is nice.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-02-21, 10:28 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Had a positive exchange with a cop today, although very brief. Cranking along Vanderbilt Drive in Naples, I spotted a local sherrif with a radar gun looking for speeders. I see him, he sees me coming at him and aims the radar gun at me. I approach with a broad smile, he smiles back and yells "20!" Gave him a thumbs up and rode on.

Yeah, I had a little tailwind. ;-)
Old 04-02-21, 10:30 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Had a positive exchange with a cop today, although very brief. Cranking along Vanderbilt Drive in Naples, I spotted a local sherrif with a radar gun looking for speeders. I see him, he sees me coming at him and aims the radar gun at me. I approach with a broad smile, he smiles back and yells "20!" Gave him a thumbs up and rode on.

Same with me riding into California. Yelled 19 MPH

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-02-21, 11:13 AM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree

Hahaha! My dream is to get a speeding ticket on the bike. Haven't done it yet, but got a cop buddy a couple hours away. He told me he could get me a fake ticket for speeding on bike for me to frame up.
Old 04-02-21, 11:21 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Parkyy16
Hahaha! My dream is to get a speeding ticket on the bike. Haven't done it yet, but got a cop buddy a couple hours away. He told me he could get me a fake ticket for speeding on bike for me to frame up.
I wish. Even though I had a tailwind I was still 15MPH short of a prized ticket! But on a secondary road with a lower speed limit I was a lot closer; about 5MPH short.

FWIW, the cops here in Collier county seem OK.
Old 04-02-21, 04:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Aside from niceholes I do get a lot of polite drivers mixed in with the others; small town driving seems to encourage that.

Last summer I was grinding up a short but very steep hill I hadn't ridden in a couple of years (flat trail = no cars); a hs/college kid was doing sprints up and down the hill, and the coach encouraged me at the steepest bit near the top. A young woman driving up it also gave me the, 'You're doing it! Nearly there!' as she passed.
Old 04-02-21, 08:21 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I rode my bike at night when my kids were very young and my wife worked 12 hr shift at a hospital. It was the only time I could ride, so I was riding my normal route and I have picked up a nail on the road and I was changing the tube under a very dim street light. I police cruiser drove by as I was trying to position my light and he stopped, backed up, turned on his spot light so I could see better. We got to chatting and found out he also rode bikes. He had that patrol area, I told him what time I normally rode and I would see him each time he was on duty. He lives in my neighborhood now and we ride quite often.

Old 04-03-21, 12:49 AM
reoc01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do bike delivery and bike is the most efficient way ti ease traffic and crowd.
Old 04-06-21, 09:07 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I made a conscious decision some years back to actively look for good driver behavior. I'd had a couple of close passes, some relatively (in hindsight) minor intimidation and harassment encounters and I found myself riding along in kind of a "ready to be offended," frame of mind. Looking for slights, expecting rude if not outright dangerous behavior. It began to seriously influence my state of mind and my cycling experience. Cycling has always been a source of great joy and satisfaction for me so this was not acceptable. So I decided to start looking for chances to acknowledge polite passes, patient drivers, etc. I found myself waving and thumbs-upping a LOT of people, like 90+ percent! It helped me get out of that negative state of mind, and get back to enjoying riding again. And it made the occasional rude or inattentive driver a bit easier to shrug off. I still wave and acknowledge polite drivers, though sometimes I feel a little foolish because I end up waving at most of the cars that pass me. But it's better than expecting and anticipating the worst.
Likes For 5teve:
Old 04-06-21, 05:55 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Best was on my morning commute a few years ago, I'm stopped at a red light near the local community college, about ten miles into my commute... and I hear a young female voice from the car next to me say "Nice Legs!". I turned my ~60-yr old white mustached face to her and say "Thanks!"

I smiled the whole rest of my day!!!