Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire Pump - To Carry On Rides

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-13-21, 11:28 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Need some suggestions. I need a decent tire pump for all my road rides.
Something that is small size to fit in my jersey pocket easy and not bulky.
Yet good for high pressure tires and not take 30 minutes to pump my tire to 110 PSI again
Road Tires
right now i am stuck with an old school one that takes 30 minutes to pump up.

Suggestion of a good pump, price is fine, as long its portable and fits well in pocket.
Suggestions please

Last edited by CanadianBiker32; 04-13-21 at 02:04 PM. Reason: wrong words
Old 04-13-21, 11:37 AM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I use Silca Tattico mini pump
Likes For la rosa:
Old 04-13-21, 11:42 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
Yet good for high volume tires and not take 30 minutes to pump my tire to 110 PSI again
I don't understand this statement. High volume tires don't require high pressure, nowhere close to 110 psi
Old 04-13-21, 11:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
So, fits in a pocket, suitable for high volume and high pressure, and does the job quickly? I mean, I've heard about these recent discoveries that would change our perspective on physics, but I didn't realize that we were already seeing practical applications to minipumps - whoa.

Realistically, there's only so much that you can do with a pump, and reducing the size is going to limit things quite a bit more.

What's "high volume" and why do you need to get them up to 110psi? I run 28mm tires at 60psi so I had the luxury of going with an HV (high volume) Lezyne that maxes out at ~70psi, but does so in significantly fewer strokes than an HP (High Pressure) variant. Beyond manipulating the bore and the stroke, within the confines of your pocketable size restraints, there's really only a couple of functional tweaks that can be made to make things go a little more easily - maybe look in to something with a hose, fold-out foot peg and a broader handle? Something like the Road Morph or Lezyne Micro Floor Drive?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-13-21, 12:01 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Messed with allot of pumps. I'm an old guy and a cheap bastard. The one pump that has always come through for me on the road in the LEZYNE. Light weight, small, fairly considerate of arthritic hands, and ya don't loose all the air removing it. Give ya enough pressure to get home.

LEZYNE is a little expense, but its a one time purchase.

I have had one so long that after 8 years of Texas heat I had to replace the "O" rings on it. No problem the "O" rings were easy to find at the auto parts store ($0.35)...

Edit: After posting I went through a review of small pumps on the current market... Looks like LEZYNE, or one of the LEZYNE knockoffs are still the best.

Last edited by zandoval; 04-13-21 at 01:19 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 04-13-21, 12:09 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 548 Posts
There are lots of mini-pumps that will do the job at various prices, weights, and sizes. I use a Topeak Race Rocket HP that works OK for me and is relatively inexpensive. A small pump is going to take a lot of strokes to fill a high volume tire but you'll get there. As a reference, I figure about 150 strokes to get a 25c tire to where I can ride on it, which is probably about 70PSI.

The one recommendation I have is to get one that has a flexible hose to attach to the valve. So much easier to use than a fixed head and less risk of damaging something.
Old 04-13-21, 12:14 PM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
A small pump that fits in your pocket will almost always need hundreds of pumps to inflate a tire. Many also will struggle to get up to proper road bike pressures unless you have arms like Ahhhnold Black-Ploughman. More traditional frame fit pumps, often purchased by length to match your frame size so the pump can be carried within the frame with no modifications, take fewer strokes to come to pressure and are generally more reliable at getting to higher pressure. There are also some that are mini-pumps that have a separate hose and a foot so they are used like a mini floor pump and are easier to get higher pressure.

NB... mini pumps almost always come with a frame mount that bolts under your water bottle cage. Carrying in your pocket is a pointless complication when you can leave the pump on your bike until you need it. It is a good idea to have a decent quality floor pump kept at home for regular maintenance and pumping before rides, while pumps carried on the bike should be kept for emergencies and fixing flats on the road.
Old 04-13-21, 12:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Topeak Road Morph G. It's smaller than a frame pump but works like a floor pump. When going to help another flatted rider, the first thing I do is grab my Road Morph (unless I see they have one). As above, a pump with a hose is a wonderful thing.
Old 04-13-21, 12:42 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Very recent thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...adie-pump.html
Old 04-13-21, 12:48 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Co2?
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 04-13-21, 12:51 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
Sounds like you want CO2
Old 04-13-21, 01:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,009 Times in 3,788 Posts
I can't remember when I last carried a pump on my road bike. Been using CO2 exclusively for road-side repairs for decades.
Old 04-13-21, 01:23 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 1,927 Posts
As @ClydeClydeson notes, a "mini-pump" that can fit in a jersey pocket can be less than ideal. If your frame has room for it, a full-size, frame mount pump can get the job done quicker and with less effort.
Old 04-13-21, 06:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I can't remember when I last carried a pump on my road bike. Been using CO2 exclusively for road-side repairs for decades.
I actually started carrying a small pump in addition to CO2 because I used both cartridges and then double flatted on the same ride, leaving me to walk the last 5 miles. Probably less of a problem now in the age of cell phone and Uber/Lyft (and that's how long it's been since that fateful day), but the habit has stuck.
Old 04-13-21, 07:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
As @ClydeClydeson notes, a "mini-pump" that can fit in a jersey pocket can be less than ideal. If your frame has room for it, a full-size, frame mount pump can get the job done quicker and with less effort.
+1 I've been using Zephal HPs and HPXs exclusively for most of 50 years. They simply work. They take 28c tires to 110 psi with probably 100 not very hard to do strokes. (In my racing days 40+ years ago, I lent my pump to a lightly built 40 something engineer to pump his tires to 120 psi for a time trial. He did it easily. (I didn't own another pump then and rode only sewups.)

All my bikes have those pumps on them. Until the day when inflation is no longer needed, I will not own a bike that cannot carry them. Of course there is one kinda sucky aspect to those pumps. If you ride with others, the day will come when they turn to you because you have the one pump/device still working.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-13-21, 07:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Lezyne
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-13-21, 09:11 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I switched to CO2 years ago. I get the argument of "never running out of air" with a manual pump, but the number of pumps always was a hassle.

With CO2 I have less weight on the ride (two CO2 & inflator fits in my saddle bag) and if I get a flat the repair will be much master.

BTW, I am a fan of the preglued Park patches: easy to carry and glue tube doesn't dry out. Patch kit is tiny. I haven't been getting many flats since switching to Continental Gatorskins (knock on wood)
Old 04-14-21, 02:33 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
The best posts always start with an obvious lack of any research combined with lack of using the search function.
And ofc end up with hurt feelings because what else are forums for?

Last edited by downhillmaster; 04-14-21 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-14-21, 05:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Not sure why, but generally all mini-pumps could be designed a bit better. That is, that if the hose didn't come out the end of the pump, but instead came out of the side of the pump, then we could all use the ground as leverage when pumping, and our body weight to help with pumping. Is there an engineering challenge that makes the hose attaching to the side an impossibility?
The referenced Topeak Morph does this, but that's a largish pump, not suited to a jersey pocket IMO (indeed looks like also requiring losing a bottle cage)
Old 04-14-21, 11:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
I have a small Lezyne - Road Drive, maybe? - that fits in a jersey pocket for my bikes that can't fit a frame pump. It takes hundreds of strokes to refill a 700 x 28 tire and bring it to rideable pressure, but it turns out to be easier than I originally expected. I tried CO2, which worked fine when I practiced it in the garage, and failed miserably on the road. Which is to say I failed miserably on the road - blew out two CO2 cylinders and had to make The Call Of Shame. Happened twice. Now I carry a pump, always.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-14-21, 12:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Some CO2 inflators don't do what intuitively you'd think they do. Even reading the instruction can be confusing until you actually attempt to use them a few times. Then you'll usually have an "aha" moment and what they wrote will be clear as day.

On 25 mm tires, anyone should be able to get more PSI than needed from the smallest of CO2 cartridges.

As for pumps, any that can put some serious PSI into your tire will take long to fully inflate. If I wasn't going to use a frame mounted pump.. and I don't. Then I'd use CO2. A small pump that fits in your pocket might be useful for the times you are "practicing" to get better with your CO2 inflator when caught out on the road.

Unless of course you aren't in a big hurry. But the OP claims they are.
Old 04-14-21, 12:12 PM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I tried going exclusively to a CO2 inflator, but I had a very frustrating high failure rate - either the cartridge wouldn't properly seal on the inflator or the inflator wouldn't properly seal on the valve stem, and you only get one shot with each cartridge. It was probably user error but I was not willing to sacrifice any more cartridges or time or effort to get good at it.
Old 04-14-21, 12:13 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I've had a Bontrager Air Support HP Pro S on my bike for a few years now. I've used it a half dozen times either independently or in conjunction with CO2. It fits right under my down tube water bottle cage mount and has always been more of a "peace of mind" component.
Old 04-14-21, 12:34 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I have a small Lezyne - Road Drive, maybe? - that fits in a jersey pocket for my bikes that can't fit a frame pump. It takes hundreds of strokes to refill a 700 x 28 tire and bring it to rideable pressure, but it turns out to be easier than I originally expected.
That's been my experience with the Road Drive specifically and why I recommend it - compared to other mini-pumps, it is much more effective once you reach higher pressures. I have the medium size one mounted to the downtube of one of my bikes. Need an excuse to replace the other non-Road Drives I carry on my other bikes.
Old 04-15-21, 11:44 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I have a side mount for the Road Morph, so it fits on the side of the seat tube rather than in front of it and won't block the bottle cage. Still have it in a bin somewhere, but it's going to be one of those things that in 5 or so years gets tossed or given away in a garage sale as "made sense at some point, but will never again be used and isn't worth warehousing".
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.