Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to swap rear quick release with traditional axle bolt?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 06:23 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

I want to try traditional 26” training wheels, but m new bike (Electra Townie 7D Equipped) has quick release wheels that will not support them. I need to teach my brain to ride a two wheel bike again. I had my brain injury 30 years ago, so the first time I did it was 1996; I bought a mountain bike and just rode, crashed and repeat. I was in my late 20’s and my body recovered faster. Within a few months, I was riding smooth and got back on a motorcycle. 50,000 miles later, crashed my Softail Custom and didn’t ride again for 16 years. Now I’ve been primary riding adult trikes for 5 years (15,000 miles) and switching back to a single track vehicle is a challenge. I’d rather enjoy riding my new bike without crashing, and willing to try training wheels for the conversion.

My LBS has 26” training wheels in stock, and they’d be helpful when I take my new bike home Thursday. The problem is they are held on by the axle bolt, but my Electra Townie 7D Equipped has quick release. Furthermore, the equipped model has a hub that generates electricity for a rear light. I’m wondering if I can swap the quick release for an axle bolt. If I did that, would the power generator still work?
Old 04-19-21, 07:32 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Some people remove the cranks on little kids bikes instead of training wheels for their children.
They let them coast around under push power and they seem to adapt quickly.
Maybe try a version of that yourself?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-19-21, 07:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Bill Kapaun has the right idea, lower your saddle and remove your pedals or cranks and use it as a balance bike. The problem with training wheels is you don't learn you just have the ability to ride on 3 to 4 wheels which is not ideal. Maybe for an adult it is a bit different but a balance bike is the better way to do it. It seems like the balance is really what you need as you have trikes so pedaling isn't an issue so find a nice parking lot or better yet a grassy field and take off those pedals and scoot till you get your balance back.

You are unlikely to be able to swap easily to a nutted axle but you can go to your local shop and see what is possible but usually not. Also any light generation is done at the front hub or is a bottle dynamo which rubs the tire and occasionally you will see some by the bottom bracket but those aren't super common.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-19-21, 07:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Assuming that only the qr aspect is the problem and that the QR and axle in play are common 9.5 or 10mm ones that have been used for decades it seems that a swap over to a nutted (not bolted) axle is pretty straight forward. Of course parts availability might be an issue these days.

I've installed a few adult balancing (training is a term I dislike because the added outrigger wheels tend to be a crutch for many) wheels to 26" wheels bikes before and those bikes with derailures needed the ders removed and some chain tensioning aspect accounted for. If the bike has vertical drop outs this is challenging. I wonder if the shop knows this but hasn't explained it well yet. The added aspect of electrical assist might further complicate the install.

Good luck. Andy
Old 04-25-21, 07:57 PM
beach_cycle

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, the power generator is a front dynamo hub. It was new to me, so I figured it out when I brought the bike home; tracing the wires...

I also prefer the term balance wheels; I don't like that I'm loosing my balance and they would be a crutch for me.

I didn't see the suggestions until I received an email. I took the bike home Thursday; pushed it as I don't drive a motor vehicle. Went to take a spin around my neighborhood Friday, but before I did, raised the seat for proper leg extension and inflated the tires to ~60 PSI, they were at ~25 PSI (below recommended 45-65 PSI). Maybe it was those conditions that let me test ride in the parking lot!? When I started my neighborhood spin, I lost balance and crashed at ~10 feet: cuts around my left eye, right hand and left knee; left hand sprained and my left eye is swollen. I gained enough balance to ride once, but now… maybe the push bike suggestion. I’ll check if the cranks are attached to square tapered bottom bracket (I have a crank puller for that and change chain wheels on my trikes – currently 49-111 gear inches and not enough power).
Old 04-25-21, 08:20 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
I remember when my Dad removed my training wheels. I must have been about 3-4 years old. I remember getting on the bike afterwards, picking out where I was going to fall, and going for it. Then after awhile I didn't have to

After a severe bicycle injury years ago I had to do the same thing to get back in the saddle. My balance was off, my back history, and I had a tremor with vestibular problems to deal with. I got on my bike, picked out a place to fall, and went for it. After a short while I didn't have to.

So now I'm 67 with medical issues. I wear allot of protection. Even though I'm not falling I still keeping picking out my next place to fall just in case.

Good Luck...
Old 04-25-21, 09:43 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
FWIW: a couple friends have developed balance issues as they have aged. One sustained a TBI that resulted in several months of care at the hospital where I work. Many of them have converted to recumbent trikes.

Bent Up Cycles in North Hollywood is a good place to start. They are very knowledgeable about recumbent trikes and the various adaptations needed.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 04-28-21, 12:21 PM
beach_cycle

Protective Gear

Zandoval, I also remember my dad removing my training wheels; I was also 3-4. I don’t remember much else, but I’m sure I just went for it (my MO). Now, I’d like to wear protective gear. I don’t know where to get it though. Bike pads and stuff in the department stores tend to be for kids 15 or younger and doesn’t fit me. After last Fridays crash and the injuries around my left eye, I was considering a full face motorcycle helmet. It’s been a while since I rode off road 2 stroke MC, 12-14, but the shop had protective gear for youth and adults. I think that should be my next purchase… including protective gear around my upper body and joints.

Originally Posted by zandoval
I remember when my Dad removed my training wheels. I must have been about 3-4 years old. I remember getting on the bike afterwards, picking out where I was going to fall, and going for it. Then after awhile I didn't have to

After a severe bicycle injury years ago I had to do the same thing to get back in the saddle. My balance was off, my back history, and I had a tremor with vestibular problems to deal with. I got on my bike, picked out a place to fall, and went for it. After a short while I didn't have to.

So now I'm 67 with medical issues. I wear allot of protection. Even though I'm not falling I still keeping picking out my next place to fall just in case.

Good Luck...
Old 04-28-21, 12:33 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by beach_cycle
Zandoval, I also remember my dad removing my training wheels; I was also 3-4. I don’t remember much else, but I’m sure I just went for it (my MO). Now, I’d like to wear protective gear. I don’t know where to get it though. Bike pads and stuff in the department stores tend to be for kids 15 or younger and doesn’t fit me. After last Fridays crash and the injuries around my left eye, I was considering a full face motorcycle helmet. It’s been a while since I rode off road 2 stroke MC, 12-14, but the shop had protective gear for youth and adults. I think that should be my next purchase… including protective gear around my upper body and joints.
Off-road motorcycle gear seems like it would be a good place to look. My wife recently took up roller skating after a long hiatus, and she was able to get pretty substantial elbow and knee pads, one other idea.

As for the full face helmet, you should be able to find off road cycling helmets that have that. A friend of mine wore one to commute in San Francisco a few years ago after sustaining a face injury in a crash. https://www.gearhacker.com/best-full...helmet-review/
Old 04-28-21, 01:06 PM
beach_cycle

Jeff Wills, I’ve considered recumbent trikes for a few years. But with my Social Security Disability I barely pay rent and buy budget food + hygiene and misc bike parts for my transportation (adult trikes). I’ve looked at Bent Up Cycles website for years, and their lowest prices are several thousand $; above the $2K I’m aloud to have with SSDI/SSI. I just looked again and saw an entry level recumbent trike listed: $1,299; no specs though. I’ll inquire...

I don’t even know if I could sit that low; before the gyms closed, I confirmed I could sit in an exercise recumbent. I could’ve pulled it off with my stimulus, but built a new adult trike, donated it to make room for my new bike (2 bike limit) and then bought the bike. I spent over $1K and now trying to make the best of it...

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
FWIW: a couple friends have developed balance issues as they have aged. One sustained a TBI that resulted in several months of care at the hospital where I work. Many of them have converted to recumbent trikes.

Bent Up Cycles in North Hollywood is a good place to start. They are very knowledgeable about recumbent trikes and the various adaptations needed.
Old 04-28-21, 05:51 PM
beach_cycle

Andy, in 2017 I tried Stabilizer Wheels on my Mongoose Mountain Bike; they’re bigger and heavier. The pair I bought from jet.com were advertised to fit 20-29” wheels, that bike had 29” wheels, so I thought I was good. They didn’t fit; at the lowest setting the balance wheels were 3” off the ground. On rides it would hit hard when the balance wheels shifted side to side; I’d ride on three wheels as long as possible until a force would shift (usually recovered but one day crashed breaking my hip requiring total hip replacement). I thought about that and checked with my LBS for a solution. The guy helping me was like these will work, and then another mechanic said not with QR…

These are similar to the old stabilizer wheels but say won’t fit with the chain guard. I can probably remove it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ACO5T769&psc=1

That bike also had QR and derailleur, but frame mounting didn’t matter. They are wider and heavier. One review mentioned they don’t fit 27” or larger. 29er failed and 26 may succeed. In the questions a 26” Electra Townie was said to work, so I’ll give them a spin… and hope they are a short term crutch.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Assuming that only the qr aspect is the problem and that the QR and axle in play are common 9.5 or 10mm ones that have been used for decades it seems that a swap over to a nutted (not bolted) axle is pretty straight forward. Of course parts availability might be an issue these days.

I've installed a few adult balancing (training is a term I dislike because the added outrigger wheels tend to be a crutch for many) wheels to 26" wheels bikes before and those bikes with derailures needed the ders removed and some chain tensioning aspect accounted for. If the bike has vertical drop outs this is challenging. I wonder if the shop knows this but hasn't explained it well yet. The added aspect of electrical assist might further complicate the install.

Good luck. Andy
​​​​​​​
Old 04-28-21, 06:21 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Lots of good ideas here. Another possibility for using the training wheels might be to ask your local bike shop or co-op if they have a nutted-axle wheel you could borrow for the time it takes you to regain your confidence.

Also, if you do the "balance bike" thing, you don't have to remove the cranks (which would also involve removing the chain). Just take off the pedals.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 04-29-21, 11:52 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by beach_cycle
... my next purchase… including protective gear around my upper body and joints.​
I know this thread is getting old but I really wish you my best. I see myself having the same problem in the future. I am one of those guys that is more beat up than he looks and have had to make real adjustments in my riding and riding style. A friend of mine is recovering from a minor stroke that would have been major had he not been treated with the clot busters. He went to a cheap used WalMart three wheeler for about four months and is now riding a comfortable hybrid with touring tiers. He has told me he is just grateful to be able to ride period...

As for protective gear, don't forget what the Roller Blader's used to wear. The knee and wrist and elbow guards could be helpful.

By the way. My friend still keeps his cheap little three wheeler. He says its a real popular ride for the corner store and visitors.

Last edited by zandoval; 04-29-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-01-21, 06:37 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Years ago I sent an older gent out the door with a step-through Electra Townie. He loved it. He'd suffered a stroke, lost much of his reflexes and balance, and was inquiring about an adult trike so he could ride with his wife. He related that he could still balance, but not very well, and he was most concerned about getting his landing gear down quickly in an emergency. I explained that trikes were tippy in a sidehill situation, heavy, and not terribly maneuverable. After a test ride he fell in love with the Townie.