Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help understanding transfer of torque from hub to rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help understanding transfer of torque from hub to rim

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 03:18 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Because the tension change is spread out over many spokes. A decrease in tension of the bottom spokes is what would be expected in a system that is under tension and one where the spokes aren’t attached to the rim. That change in tension may be present in the upper spokes but the magnitude of the tension change is small so that it quickly becomes unmeasurable.

The idea that the wheel stands on the spokes isn’t counterintuitive. We are used to seeing wheels where the vehicle stands on the wheels. Nearly every car wheel, buggy wheel, wagon wheel, and ox cart wheel stands on the wheel. The wheel is under compression. The real counterintuitive part is the idea that the weight hangs from the spokes. Tensegrity structures mess with your head because we see so few examples of them. Many people, looking at that Lego tensegrity structure assume that the long chains are the structural units. However, they aren’t. If weight is put on the structure, the long chains slacken and the structure becomes unstable. The long chains are important but they aren’t the most important element. Just like the bottom spokes are important as well but they don’t carry the load.

The problem is that Brandt made some wrong assumptions and was too stubborn to admit it. Here’s what he said in The Wheel

First, the spokes of a wire wheel don’t get shorter. The rim rides up on the spoke. The rim deforms and becomes oblate. Yes, the spokes undergo decreased tension. The real problem is that he assumes that the opposite of compression is tension and vice versa. But they aren’t. They work in opposite directions but aren’t opposing forces. A lack of tension doesn’t mean a increase in compression. That’s somewhat counterintuitive as well.

I agree that the spokes on the bottom of the wheel undergo a change in tension. But that’s because the rim is deforming not because the spoke is being shortened through compression. The spoke remains the same length. Nothing is pushing on it to shorten it’s length. Here’s another thought experiment. Remove all the spokes on 1/2 of the wheel. Put the wheel in the bike with the spokes above the hub. The bike can be balanced (but not ridden) in this configuration. You could probably even get on the bike and load the wheel.

Now spin the wheel so that the spoke are on the bottom. The bike won’t stand up. The spokes would poke through the bottom of the rim putting the spokes in compression and they will just bend. They could hold no weight. Maybe I’ll do the experiment sometimes.
If they undergo a loss of strain then they get shorter. The high tension lengthens the spokes.
Likes For davidad:
Old 04-19-21, 03:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I wonder how Brandt would have explained the forces at work in a rear wheel composed entirely of radially oriented spokes, where the only practical constraint is the strength of the hub with respect to resisting the tendency of the spoke heads to rip out of its flanges.
I won't speak for Jobst Brandt but the answer is simple. Look at the spoke coming vertical from the rim. You don't move until you have rotated the hub enough to move the spoke head forward of the nipple. At this point it acts like any non-radial spoke because it is no longer radial. It is also simple math to show the tension rise in the (at rest, radial) spoke to transmit that forward force from the hub to the rim will be quite high. (I wouldn't bet against a velodrome monster simply ripping the hub out the wheel doing an aggressive kierin start.)
Old 04-19-21, 05:20 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
If they undergo a loss of strain then they get shorter. The high tension lengthens the spokes.
But the shortening of the spoke isn’t due to compression. Brandt is assuming that compression and tension are the same force with opposite signs, an assumption that is in error.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-19-21, 09:26 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The way a physicist might think about it, is to consider a balance of forces. All of the forces on an object, including inertia, add up to zero. For the object to accelerate, or to move against friction, the forces pointing in one direction must exceed those pointing in the opposite direction.

This corresponds to a slight increase of the tension on the "pulling" spokes, and a slight decrease of the tension on the remaining spokes. It's simplistic but I think it's accurate enough.
Old 04-19-21, 10:54 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Wheel engineers are smart, but spokes are stupid. Really really stupid. They don't know, for example, that they are weak in compression and in fact don't have any support to prevent them from sliding right through the rim. So they try, they give it their all. The spokes below the hub do everything in their power to resist that hub and all the weight on that hub from smashing down to the ground. But they fail miserably with hardly a fight, In fact, before the hub moves downward enough to even overcome the tension in the spokes below the hub, the spokes above the hub stop that hub cold. BOOM. Silly spokes who dream of working in compression. Now the wheel rotates 180 degrees and the tide has turned. Those wannabe compression spokes are now the tension champs, taking their turn at keeping things off the ground. And so it goes, round and round.

Likewise for lateral strength.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-19-21, 11:05 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Regarding whether a wheel stands or hangs, what about Brandt's measurements? No detectable increase in tension of any spokes in a loaded wheel, only a decrease in tension in the bottom spokes. If you accept that as fact, how can you possibly say it hangs?

IMO this counterintuitive conclusion serves to illustrate that most of us fail to understand just how clever this tensegrity structure is, almost entirely failing to appreciate that the tension is a structural component.

I'd be interested to see if Brandt's results would be mirrored in the tensions of leading and trailing spokes in a torqued wheel... No increase in tension of trailing spokes would thoroughly confirm Brandt's view, although I'm not sure the opposite would necessarily invalidate it.

Anyway, I reckon it's pretty safe to say that it's a lot more complicated than many folks imagine. A wheel stands on its lower spokes in the sense that these are the only ones experiencing a change in tension. Go figure.
I've measured spoke tensions when a bike is stationary, with a rider weight on the saddle, and without a rider.
When the rider is seated, the spokes at the very bottom lose some tension, the 1, or 2 spokes right next to the contact patch (at both sides) gain just a little tension.

When a torque is applied (front brake locked to keep the bike in place, while a pedal is pushed by the rider's whole weight), I have measured trailing spokes gain tension.

Both of these measurements align with the way Jobst describes the load transfers in his book. At least the way I understood it.

The reason for my experiment was Jobst's claim that the rear wheel left-hand side spokes don't take almost any driving torque. My assumption was that modern hubs might be a bit stiffer, and just might allow the left-hand side spokes to take the driving torque.

Bottom spokes are loaded in compression, but the way for a spoked wheel to take such load is by having all the spokes in tension, and then the compressive load is taken by a decrease in tension, because a spoke can't take compressive force without any tension - it would buckle.
Old 04-20-21, 12:54 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
have you ever sat on a bare rim? they do not deform much, especially something like an Araya 7X.

add all the tensioned spokes to the rim and now you have a super strong system that surely does not deform much,
Old 04-20-21, 01:53 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Regardless of my thoughts or other's too I still feel that the tangental and tensioned wheel is pretty well proven a design and pretty much most all the later "engineering" has more to do with product differentialization (sp?) which is a marketing aspect, not a basic first principle engineering one.
I'd say bladed spokes are pretty nifty. You can't get a better spoke than a CX-Ray.

And I reckon straight-pull spokes are even better, nothwithstanding that I'm only counting bladed straight-pulls, because round ones are beyond stupid... Bye silly failure-prone elbows, hello sleek AF flangeless hubs (you'd hope... dammit, Shimano).

As materials and methods have improved, stronger rims allow for fewer spokes, which are under higher tension and are thus less prone to fatigue. Sleeker and stronger, yes please.

As for radial... seems to work. Looks a bit nicer, uses less metal. Whether the hub needs to be beefier is probably the other way around when it comes to straight pull.
Old 04-20-21, 04:04 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
The reason for my experiment was Jobst's claim that the rear wheel left-hand side spokes don't take almost any driving torque. My assumption was that modern hubs might be a bit stiffer, and just might allow the left-hand side spokes to take the driving torque..
So what were your results?
Old 04-20-21, 06:54 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by Kimmo
So what were your results?
Trailing spokes on the left-hand side had gained some tension - similarly to the right-hand-side spokes.

I hadn't measured the leading spoke tensions - the focus was on whether the left-hand side spokes transfer any torque, not whether the leading spokes on either side get slacker (which is to be expected).
Old 04-20-21, 09:08 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Bottom spokes are loaded in compression, but the way for a spoked wheel to take such load is by having all the spokes in tension, and then the compressive load is taken by a decrease in tension, because a spoke can't take compressive force without any tension - it would buckle.
You are looking at this in the wrong way...just as Brandt and others have. The bottom spokes can’t be compressed because there is no mechanism for that compression. Nothing can push up on the spoke. The end of the spoke at the rim isn’t connected to the rim in a way that allows for compression. Look at my picture again

The spoke is, in essence, a rope that is being pulled on. You can’t push it. There are even fiber emergency spokes that work on the principle of pulling on that rope.

The spoke is undergoing less tension during loading but “less tension” isn’t more compression. That’s why the wheel isn’t “standing on the spokes” because there is nothing fo the spoke to stand on nor anything to push up on.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-20-21, 10:54 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

You are looking at this in the wrong way...just as Brandt and others have. The bottom spokes can’t be compressed because there is no mechanism for that compression. Nothing can push up on the spoke. The end of the spoke at the rim isn’t connected to the rim in a way that allows for compression. Look at my picture again

The spoke is, in essence, a rope that is being pulled on. You can’t push it. There are even fiber emergency spokes that work on the principle of pulling on that rope.

The spoke is undergoing less tension during loading but “less tension” isn’t more compression. That’s why the wheel isn’t “standing on the spokes” because there is nothing fo the spoke to stand on nor anything to push up on.
Saying the same thing, using different words, aren't we?
Old 04-20-21, 11:12 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
But the shortening of the spoke isn’t due to compression. Brandt is assuming that compression and tension are the same force with opposite signs, an assumption that is in error.
What's it due to then, magic?
Old 04-20-21, 04:26 PM
cyccommute 

Saying the same thing, using different words, aren't we?
No. Because there is no compression of the spokes in a tensioned bicycle wheel. There is reduction of tension but there is no compression. The rim is compressed but it doesn’t have a connection to the spoke that can be compressed.

Old 04-20-21, 04:27 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by davidad
What's it due to then, magic?
The spoke undergoes a decrease in tension which isn’t the same thing as compression...not even close. The rim is deformed through compression but not the spoke.

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-20-21 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-20-21, 08:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
have you ever sat on a bare rim? they do not deform much, especially something like an Araya 7X.

add all the tensioned spokes to the rim and now you have a super strong system that surely does not deform much,

Interesting points that I disagree with and fully do. Unlaced/tensioned rims most certainly do deform under someone sitting on it. less for deep rims with thick sides, less for shallow ones, have you ever mounter a sew up tire on a bare "classic" rim (to stretch the tire)?

I've read that a tension spokes wheel has one of the higher strength (or is it stiffness) to weight ratios of common structures.

Who here has read AR Sharp's book? Why do we need to relearn proven lessons? (That last line is not meant to be answered) Andy
Old 04-20-21, 10:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Interesting points that I disagree with and fully do. Unlaced/tensioned rims most certainly do deform under someone sitting on it. less for deep rims with thick sides, less for shallow ones, have you ever mounter a sew up tire on a bare "classic" rim (to stretch the tire)?

I've read that a tension spokes wheel has one of the higher strength (or is it stiffness) to weight ratios of common structures.

Who here has read AR Sharp's book? Why do we need to relearn proven lessons? (That last line is not meant to be answered) Andy
Andy, I raced those 250 gm Super Champion Medaille d'Or rims (front only). You could sit on one of those unlaced once! (Like you can sit on an egg once. You end up on the floor with both.) A year after my last race I was doing a town line sprint when a newbie put his QR in my front wheel. Took out 9 consecutive spokes. Good news was that was a Weinmann Concave. It still ran through the brakes and fork. I rode it to a standstill from 30 mph. (Did take the paint off the inside of the left fork blade on my brand new Mooney but keeping me up and all those behind me where they belonged - I'll take it!) Ben

Edit: regarding the strength of laced wheels - that super light Medaille d'Or. I dented it on RR tracks late in a race and had to use a puller to return to round but that same wheel hit a big frost heave in Vermont (Smuggler's Notch) when I was going 50+ and got thrown 2 feet in the air. Stayed perfect. Oh, that wheel was light! Not just the rim. 15-17-15 spokes. 250 gm Clement Seta. Yes, 36 spokes but still, not a heavy wheel!

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-20-21 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-20-21, 11:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Ben- We have similar stories. Medaille de oro, Mavic Champ de Mondes, ArayaTitan Ace, Ambrosia Montreals. All under 300g and with 36 stupid light spokes. Clement cottons for me due to rain here. Dropping water bottle at 40mph and skidding on it. Building close to 100 wheels a winter for a few years because machine wheels didn't exist back then. Helping Weyless with their hub testing wheels. Building the first Mavis SSC blue rims in the area. Denting Rigida 1320s and going back to sew ups because they held up better. Moving past Fiamme Reds and yellows because the angled brake tracks sucked. Hating Weinmann concaves (both the 124 and 129s) because the seams sucked. Robergel, Torringtons and chromed Union spokes being replaced by stainless as that became less brittle. Oh then there's the Ukai foam filled tubulars that replaced the wood filled Euro rims.

I have to admit that current rims are far better made, stronger, stiffer but so many lack eyelets and with the nasty dishing need so badly balanced spoke tensioning. Too bad wheel building is such an infrequent job these days or many wrenches would have a better feel for the dynamics a wheel sees. Andy
Old 04-20-21, 11:17 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

No. Because there is no compression of the spokes in a tensioned bicycle wheel. There is reduction of tension but there is no compression. The rim is compressed but it doesn’t have a connection to the spoke that can be compressed.
To quote Brandt:

"With tension, wires can support compression loads up to the point where they become slack.
The same loads that increase compression in wooden spokes, reduce tension in wires.

As in a wooden-spoked wheel, the bottom spokes of a wire wheel become shorter under load, but instead of gaining in compression, they lose tension.
With the same load, the net change in force is the same for both wheels.
The algebraic sum of negative and positive forces (compression and tension) is the same."

English is not my native, but to me this sounds like the same thing you said, and the same thing I said, only using different words.
Old 04-21-21, 09:50 AM
cyccommute 

To quote Brandt:

"With tension, wires can support compression loads up to the point where they become slack.
My problem with that quote is that there is no compressive load on the wire spoke. There’s no need to even discuss compressive loads on wire spoked wheels. I’ll agree that the spoke is elongated through tension and it shortens with loading of the rim because of a reduction in tension. The rim is compressed but the spokes don’t experience compression of any kind. Brandt is looking at compression and tension as they are simply forces with the opposite sign. Again, that is not the case.

Consider what happens if you loosen the nipple on a tensioned spoke. Tension decreases as the nipple is loosened. Is the spoke undergoing compression? Obviously not. When the rim deforms under compression only the rim experiences compression. The spoke experiences a decrease in tension. Of course the other spokes pick up that decrease by increasing in tension.

The same loads that increase compression in wooden spokes, reduce tension in wires.
Yes, but... A wooden spoked wheel (or car wheel) is compressed by the weight of the vehicle. The rim is compressed...I prefer to say deformed...by the weight of the vehicle. But that’s where the comparison ends. The wire spoke of a wheel doesn’t undergo the same compressive forces as the wooden spoke does. In a double wall bicycle rim, the wire spoke is hanging in the space between the walls of the rim. There is nothing pushing up on the spoke at all. This is why the load hangs from the rim at the top of the wheel instead of standing on the spokes. There’s nothing but air to stand on.

As in a wooden-spoked wheel, the bottom spokes of a wire wheel become shorter under load, but instead of gaining in compression, they lose tension.
With the same load, the net change in force is the same for both wheels.
The algebraic sum of negative and positive forces (compression and tension) is the same."
The highlighted sentence is what I see as his biggest mistake. He is treating compression and tension as an algebraic sum as if when compression goes up, tension decreases. That is not the case. Think of the wooden spoked wheel. I agree that the bottom spokes of the wooden spoked wheel get shorter under load because they are being compressed. However, when the load is removed and the wooden spokes lengthen, they can’t be said to be lengthening due to an increase in tension because the wooden spokes are never in tension. They are only being decompressed. In other words, compression becomes zero but tension is also zero.

The opposite happens in a tensioned wire wheel. The spokes are lengthen through tension and when the rim deforms under load, the spokes shorten but that is because tension is decreasing. The wire spoke itself is never under a load other than tension. Tension goes back up as the rim is unloaded but compression on the spoke itself is zero.

In short, compression and tension aren’t added to find the force on the spokes of either a wooded spoke or wire spoke. The force on each is either compression or tension but not both. That holds for any discussion of compression and tension. An object can’t be pulled and pushed from the same point at the same time so compression and tension aren’t algebraical connected.

English is not my native, but to me this sounds like the same thing you said, and the same thing I said, only using different words.
Your English is excellent and far better than my ___(insert any language here). My objection is to the use of the term compression (except when talking about the rim) with regard to a wire spoke. To compress something you have to have a force that is pushing on the object. There is nothing to push on when it comes to a wire spoke.

Old 04-21-21, 02:52 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

My problem with that quote is that there is no compressive load on the wire spoke. There’s no need to even discuss compressive loads on wire spoked wheels. I’ll agree that the spoke is elongated through tension and it shortens with loading of the rim because of a reduction in tension. The rim is compressed but the spokes don’t experience compression of any kind. Brandt is looking at compression and tension as they are simply forces with the opposite sign. Again, that is not the case.

Consider what happens if you loosen the nipple on a tensioned spoke. Tension decreases as the nipple is loosened. Is the spoke undergoing compression? Obviously not. When the rim deforms under compression only the rim experiences compression. The spoke experiences a decrease in tension. Of course the other spokes pick up that decrease by increasing in tension.
I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I understand the book as explaining the loads that a wheel takes, and explaining how spokes help keep it rolling - dealing with those loads.
Wheels do take compressive loads, and that is explained and discussed.

It is possible I'm missing some fine language, engineering, or even logical thing (one not excluding the others), but the way Jobst explains it in The Bicycle Wheel aligns with my practical experience and the little theoretical knowledge I have.
It works for explaining any problem causes, as well as any solutions.
It works for visualising the problem and the solution.

Yes, but... A wooden spoked wheel (or car wheel) is compressed by the weight of the vehicle. The rim is compressed...I prefer to say deformed...by the weight of the vehicle. But that’s where the comparison ends. The wire spoke of a wheel doesn’t undergo the same compressive forces as the wooden spoke does. In a double wall bicycle rim, the wire spoke is hanging in the space between the walls of the rim. There is nothing pushing up on the spoke at all. This is why the load hangs from the rim at the top of the wheel instead of standing on the spokes. There’s nothing but air to stand on.
It seems as if we're going in circles.
Don't think I can explain this better than Jobst. To me the explanation makes sense, it holds water based on all the other knowledge and experience I've had.

The highlighted sentence is what I see as his biggest mistake. He is treating compression and tension as an algebraic sum as if when compression goes up, tension decreases. That is not the case. Think of the wooden spoked wheel. I agree that the bottom spokes of the wooden spoked wheel get shorter under load because they are being compressed. However, when the load is removed and the wooden spokes lengthen, they can’t be said to be lengthening due to an increase in tension because the wooden spokes are never in tension. They are only being decompressed. In other words, compression becomes zero but tension is also zero.

The opposite happens in a tensioned wire wheel. The spokes are lengthen through tension and when the rim deforms under load, the spokes shorten but that is because tension is decreasing. The wire spoke itself is never under a load other than tension. Tension goes back up as the rim is unloaded but compression on the spoke itself is zero.

In short, compression and tension aren’t added to find the force on the spokes of either a wooded spoke or wire spoke. The force on each is either compression or tension but not both. That holds for any discussion of compression and tension. An object can’t be pulled and pushed from the same point at the same time so compression and tension aren’t algebraical connected.
The way I understand the problem, and Jobst's explanation:
There's compression on the rim, that is taken by the spokes (or the wheel buckles). Spokes take it by decreasing their tension.

From what I could measure, there really is a loss in total tension (aggregate tension of all the spokes). The ones at the ground contact point lose tension. The ones next to the contact point gain just a little bit of tension. The others have no measurable tension change. Total net-tension change is negative - some tension is lost.

I also measured this using a super stiff rim with very few spokes. Same results.

Your English is excellent and far better than my ___(insert any language here). My objection is to the use of the term compression (except when talking about the rim) with regard to a wire spoke. To compress something you have to have a force that is pushing on the object. There is nothing to push on when it comes to a wire spoke.
Yes, the spokes aren't (directly) pushed. I agree. Just: I didn't get from reading The Bicycle Wheel that it is explained as spokes being (directly) pushed.