Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Front wheel lifting off ground when sprinting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 01:42 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Immer großes Blatt 8000 Watt

Always big ring 8000 watt, rhymes in German.

Hm, trying to link an instagram post but it doesn't show the URL but instead the whole photo, which is kind of obnoxiously large. Anyway, it's a meme in German cycling.
Ja wohl. Und es ist ein Strava Club. #fullforcevoraus!
Old 04-20-21, 01:51 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I regularly do max-effort sprints on my trainer. No issues. However, I'm practiced at it, and know how to not fall off. I agree that the trainer not a good place to learn, and learning form/coordination at lower intensity is the right approach.
Oh, I'm not concerned about falling off, I'm concerned about the well-being of the bike frame, being clamped in and subjected to stresses that it wouldn't necessarily see in use on the road. Maybe I'm being too conservative, but the few times that I've sprinted on the trainer made me cringe and back off before reaching full ham.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-20-21, 02:04 PM
WhyFi

Well, in the winter I ain't going out on a weekday in the dark and cold, or rain for that matter, so I only had the trainer for some months. I feel good sprinting on it, greatly improved my max output as well, my current max is still from trainer. But I take your point, I never really thought about it before to be honest (like why would they advertise "up to 2000W" and what do people doing Swift races do, they output way more than me I bet).
Okay, so it sounds like practicing with an artificially confined bike on your trainer got you to where you are now - lower power IRL and sketched-out because you're occasionally lifting your wheel. Dial it back, work on form, then build back up. Keep in mind that, ultimately, sprinting is a whole-body coordinated effort to put more torque through the pedals than your body weight alone can provide.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-20-21, 02:05 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Are you on the drops when this happens? If not, perhaps going to the drop position on the handlebars for sprints will shift enough weight forward to prevent this from happening.
Old 04-20-21, 02:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oh, I'm not concerned about falling off, I'm concerned about the well-being of the bike frame, being clamped in and subjected to stresses that it wouldn't necessarily see in use on the road. Maybe I'm being too conservative, but the few times that I've sprinted on the trainer made me cringe and back off before reaching full ham.
I get where you're coming from about different stresses. I'm going with the belief that high-quality bike frames are built to handle a lot more power than I can put out, even if it is somewhat different. So far, so good. I understand it you don't feel so comfortable with it, though.
Old 04-20-21, 02:43 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Eric F
I get where you're coming from about different stresses. I'm going with the belief that high-quality bike frames are built to handle a lot more power than I can put out, even if it is somewhat different. So far, so good. I understand it you don't feel so comfortable with it, though.
I mean, some of us have guads of thunder.

Old 04-20-21, 02:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I mean, some of us have guads of thunder.

I left those in my other bibs.
Old 04-20-21, 03:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
If I broke a frame sprinting on my trainer, I’d hang it on the wall and brag about it on some silly online forum.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-20-21, 03:57 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If I broke a frame sprinting on my trainer, I’d hang it on the wall and brag about it on some silly online forum.
wall forums
Old 04-20-21, 04:01 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I've lifted my front wheel when sprinting before. I'm not Sam Bennett but I'd say I have pretty good technique.

I believe this happens when you imitate a standing start like a trackie. Basically doing a proper lunge and pulling both ends of the bar up. Hopefully the front wheel is only lifting when you first accelerate. Quite frankly, this sounds like a problem caused by you adapting your technique to sprinting on a trainer, where you cannot sway the bike. Stop sprinting on the trainer - or at least stop using trainer sprinting technique on the road. They are not the same.

Like someone said above, you should be pulling on one end and pushing on the other. It helps to sway the bike a little. You don't have to do an MVDP sprint but it doesn't have to be a greipel sprint either.

Maybe try recording your sprint and seeing what your form is like. I'd say cavendish and bennett are good examples.
Old 04-20-21, 04:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
wall forums
No, those forums are way too political. All heck would break loose once someone realized it was an imported frame.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-20-21, 06:15 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Couldn't get the link to load, so search YouTube for

How To Sprint Like Mark Cavendish – Cav's Top 5 Sprinting Tips

As it turns out, I have been doing it all wrong; I have not sprinted, I have merely lifted my bum off the saddle to hurry a bit.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-22-21, 01:36 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I prefer to have them on the hoods, but this particular time they were on the drops (which may explain some of the lower power versus my max, pretty sure I can do more on the hoods).
Yeah, I've actually had the front wheel jump a bit sometimes when I give it some from the drops, but only on my weight weenie bike...
Old 04-22-21, 02:58 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I do the same thing. When I accelerate quickly, the front wheel comes off the ground. This is on a fat bike, with handlebars higher than a road bike. It's fun.

I recently spend a little time in the city. When the traffic lights turn green, I accelerate with the traffic. When It is busy, they might get up to 30 or 40 kph before slowing down for the next set of traffic lights. I go with the flow of the traffic. If it is only a minute or two before the traffic slows down for the next traffic lights, you don't need massive endurance. But it is dangerous riding at high speed in busy traffic. If I stayed there too long, I might get killed.
Old 04-23-21, 02:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Thanks.

Might try this on my trainer first, sounds like something that is straightforward but doing opposite things with arms legs is actually quite hard without practice.
If that's true, it must be entertaining to watch you walk or run.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-24-21, 11:13 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
If that's true, it must be entertaining to watch you walk or run.
What % of the population can move a hand and leg in a circle in opposite directions?
Old 04-24-21, 11:19 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
What % of the population can move a hand and leg in a circle in opposite directions?
Everyone I've ever seen stand up on the pedals has done the same thing - pull up on the bar on the side your leg is pushing down. You do this automatically because your leg is pushing the bike to one side and you automatically correct it back. Nobody has to think about it, you do it right the very first time you ride a bike and stand on the pedals.

But, the comment is about walking. Try walking with each arm swinging forward with the leg that's swinging forward. If you can manage it, it will feel really strange. Also, it will LOOK really strange.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-26-21, 01:14 AM
ZHVelo

Everyone I've ever seen stand up on the pedals has done the same thing - pull up on the bar on the side your leg is pushing down. You do this automatically because your leg is pushing the bike to one side and you automatically correct it back. Nobody has to think about it, you do it right the very first time you ride a bike and stand on the pedals.

But, the comment is about walking. Try walking with each arm swinging forward with the leg that's swinging forward. If you can manage it, it will feel really strange. Also, it will LOOK really strange.
Your comment was, I didn't mean walking when I made my original comment to which you replied with using walking as an example.
Old 04-26-21, 01:24 AM
ZHVelo

So I tested it again and this time it was no issue. However, I output quite a bit less watts in the drops and leaning forward to push weight forward.
Old 04-26-21, 01:50 AM
smashndash

So I tested it again and this time it was no issue. However, I output quite a bit less watts in the drops and leaning forward to push weight forward.
Is this on the trainer or outside?
Old 04-26-21, 02:10 PM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by smashndash
Is this on the trainer or outside?
Outside.
Old 04-26-21, 02:12 PM
smashndash

Outside.
If you're changing your technique, you're definitely not going to fully realize your gains instantly. I'm assuming you're trying to do the whole opposite arm/leg thing and it's generating less power than pulling straight up on the bars?

What cadence are you sprinting at? I imagine that the cadence must have been quite slow if you were pulling straight up. Like 70-80rpm?

Try loosening up, swaying your arms and hitting 110ish rpm.
Old 04-26-21, 02:32 PM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by smashndash
If you're changing your technique, you're definitely not going to fully realize your gains instantly. I'm assuming you're trying to do the whole opposite arm/leg thing and it's generating less power than pulling straight up on the bars?

What cadence are you sprinting at? I imagine that the cadence must have been quite slow if you were pulling straight up. Like 70-80rpm?

Try loosening up, swaying your arms and hitting 110ish rpm.
It was actually 93 average with 101 max, 98 average if you just take the first 300m (18 seconds roughly I think).

I was not specifically looking to practice the opposite side arm push/pull. I was going to do it on my long weekend ride with multiple sub 100% sprints, but then I ended up doing a route with a lot of climbing and I did not want to add extra stress. But I did want to try one sprint on a local segment with leaning forward. So that is what I did the next day, basically one very easy ride with that one effort.
Old 04-26-21, 04:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts

This.

I don't understand why this is something the OP needs to practice. It's about as natural as breathing.
Old 04-26-21, 04:50 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This.

I don't understand why this is something the OP needs to practice. It's about as natural as breathing.
Depending on how skilled you want to become at sprinting, there is a fair amount of technique to be able to do it and actually go faster. I was out at the velodrome and the sprinters were working on their accelerations. They would accelerate down the banking and ease up after the 200 to go line. I was on my road bike and one of the sprinters joking saying I brought the wrong bike today. I told him it was going to rain tomorrow and I would rather do my endurance ride in the sunshine and do my speed work on the trainer. He replied he would rather work on all the intricacies of sprinting in the sun. He could sit on a trainer and crank endurance miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.