Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2001 Giant Rincon se Service Manual

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-19-21, 11:51 AM
Helitim
Spark Farmer

Bikes: Giant Rincon se

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I am looking for the 2001 Giant Rincon se Service Manual.

I am the original owner, and looking for parts information to replace my crank bearing, fork caps, and a general service of the derailer.

I am a mechanic by trade, and am just looking for the manual!

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-19-21, 12:46 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
You won't find one like you would for an automobile.
Just for specific bits such as the Shimano parts.
Google the model #'s and you may find the pdf.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
Old 04-19-21, 12:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Yeah, as mentioned, you really won't find a detailed service manual for that bike. Even back in the 70's when I was a teen the manuals you got for your bike were just generic things that applied to everything they sold. They sometimes told you how to do useful stuff but rarely.

Shimano has a good tech document site. https://si.shimano.com/ And although they tend to make it hard, SRAM and others have the doc's out there that you need if you hunt for them.

But still, you aren't going to find a service manual that leads you step by step for troubleshooting. And the older your bike the more SOL you'll be.
Old 04-19-21, 01:01 PM
Helitim
Spark Farmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
...Just for specific bits such as the Shimano parts.
Google the model #'s and you may find the pdf.
This has been my strategy so far. Even Giant said the no longer have that info. Brutal!

Originally Posted by Iride01
Yeah, as mentioned, you really won't find a detailed service manual for that bike...

Shimano has a good tech document site. And although they tend to make it hard, SRAM and others have the doc's out there that you need if you hunt for them.

But still, you aren't going to find a service manual that leads you step by step for troubleshooting. And the older your bike the more SOL you'll be.
Thanks! I more or less just need the part numbers.

I know I need a crank bearing for sure, and the end caps off my shock are gone as well. I'll replace the grips and seat with whatever is comfortable these days.
​​​​​​
Old 04-19-21, 01:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

When stuff wears out on old bikes, it might be better to put new stuff on them. You probably won't find the exact same model and series part new anymore for a 2001 bike. And 105, Ultegra, DuraAce today won't be a direct exchange for 105, Ultegra or DuraAce of then.

It's better to know what your frame is capable of having put on it. Essentially you need to know the dropout and fork end spacing, and the BB shell width and inside diameter and threading if it's threaded. A few other things, but those don't get replaced as often.

Then you can find all sorts of new modern stuff to put on it depending on your budget.
Old 04-19-21, 01:13 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
IF you have a cup & cone type BB (Bottom Bracket), that service is generic. Eleven 1/4" bearing balls/side.
Ditto for the F & R hubs.
Rear nine 1/4"/side
Front ten 3/16"/side (most likely)

Bikeapedia doesn't list very much and parts can be substituted mid production-
https://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/...spx?item=35596
Old 04-19-21, 01:15 PM
Helitim
Spark Farmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
When stuff wears out on old bikes, it might be better to put new stuff on them. You probably won't find the exact same model and series part new anymore for a 2001 bike. And 105, Ultegra, DuraAce today won't be a direct exchange for 105, Ultegra or DuraAce of then.

It's better to know what your frame is capable of having put on it. Essentially you need to know the dropout and fork end spacing, and the BB shell width and inside diameter and threading if it's threaded. A few other things, but those don't get replaced as often.

Then you can find all sorts of new modern stuff to put on it depending on your budget.

I'm ok with that too . My budget is pretty flexible, as this is more of a trip down memory lane for me. It was the first thing I bought once I had a job in high school!
Old 04-19-21, 01:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I started to go down that path with my first bike I bought and paid for entirely myself. When I got to adding up what was needed and wanted, then considered what the result would be.... an old bike with new stuff and still as heavy as the day it was new.

So I got rid of it and got a better old bike to fix up. But things can get expensive quick when you go down that road. So consider new bike too.
Old 04-19-21, 01:25 PM
Helitim
Spark Farmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
IF you have a cup & cone type BB (Bottom Bracket), that service is generic. Eleven 1/4" bearing balls/side.
Ditto for the F & R hubs.
Rear nine 1/4"/side
Front ten 3/16"/side (most likely)

Bikeapedia doesn't list very much and parts can be substituted mid production-
thanks for the info. I'll look into it
Old 04-19-21, 08:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I mean I wouldn't expect a company to have a ton of info on a 20 year old base model bike. Luckily most of the info is all over the internet for fixing various parts of the bike and you can always look at the bike and get the info on the part using part number imprinted on the part or going to your local shop and they can get you replacement stuff as needed but I probably wouldn't put much money towards the bike just the barest amount to keep it running till I can go for the better bike. If you want to do stuff yourself Park Tool has excellent videos on just about everything you would need.
Old 04-20-21, 04:55 AM
Helitim
Spark Farmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I mean I wouldn't expect a company to have a ton of info on a 20 year old base model bike. Luckily most of the info is all over the internet for fixing various parts of the bike and you can always look at the bike and get the info on the part using part number imprinted on the part or going to your local shop and they can get you replacement stuff as needed but I probably wouldn't put much money towards the bike just the barest amount to keep it running till I can go for the better bike. If you want to do stuff yourself Park Tool has excellent videos on just about everything you would need.
Thank you, those park tool videos are great!

I guess I am used to digital manuals now, so there is a record of everything! I figured that since they were such a big manufacturer that they might keep all that stuff. It's all good though. I didn't realize that most of the sizes of bearings and such were generic sizes. We don't have a bike shop anymore in our little town, so I have to order online.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-20-21, 03:59 PM
Helitim
Spark Farmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, it looks like my crank bearing should be a cartridge style, and probably needs to be greased and re-torqued. This is great.

Aside from grips and a new seat, the only thing I'm missing now is 1 "air cap" (I think that is what it's called; one of the dust covers on top of the front shock).

My shock is a SR M8040. Does anybody know if there is a standard size air cap/dust cap, or what I am looking for?

I'll have to true up the rims as well. But all the spokes seem intact.

Thanks again!
Old 04-20-21, 07:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Helitim
Thank you, those park tool videos are great!

I guess I am used to digital manuals now, so there is a record of everything! I figured that since they were such a big manufacturer that they might keep all that stuff. It's all good though. I didn't realize that most of the sizes of bearings and such were generic sizes. We don't have a bike shop anymore in our little town, so I have to order online.

Thanks again for your help!
Hopefully you have a shop semi-nearby because it could help out out quite a bit.
Old 04-20-21, 07:58 PM
Helitim
Spark Farmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a shop approximately a 4 hours drive by car from her, which is. less than ideal, but I'm making lots of progress online! Also, it looks like I get to buy a couple of new tools, so that's exciting too, lol.
Old 04-21-21, 08:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Sun Tour sells fork parts and re-build kits, you'll have to do the searching there to see if yours is one of them they have parts for.... https://www.srsuntour.us/collections/fork-parts

Cartridge BB's sometimes aren't made for servicing. Even the ones that are, many still consider a consumable as they are cheap. Less trouble and time just to install new.

Unfortunately LBS's can't get parts any less expensive than you can online. So when they add their margins to parts and stuff they cost the customer more. Most here that don't have a specific part in stock will tell me I can order it cheaper myself, because doing so themselves isn't worth their time.
Old 04-22-21, 02:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Helitim
There is a shop approximately a 4 hours drive by car from her, which is. less than ideal, but I'm making lots of progress online! Also, it looks like I get to buy a couple of new tools, so that's exciting too, lol.
New tools are always fun. I just got some Knipex cable cutters and while I haven't had a chance to use them much I am super excited. Also just got a Wheels Manufacturing Headset Cup Press which I am excited for though currently don't have any frames that need it, it just was in stock and I had been looking at it for a while and while I love Abbey a lot and had considered the Enduro version I think the Wheels will be just fine for my usage and is quite similar.