Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Courtesy on the bike paths....

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-22-19, 02:34 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I think he's referring to the truck ramming incident on a MUP in Manhattan. Oh, and the dude in California? I don't remember if that was the boardwalk or a 'pedestrian' street.
Those aren't my experiences to share.
Old 08-22-19, 03:02 PM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
If slower people are properly on the right side of the trail i simply pass at a reasonable speed. A speed i'd pass my grandmother at! If someone is in the way on the left side, i say "on your left" which normally scares them into moving over. I got some new wheels quieter hubs (DT350s) and i'm now considering getting a bell so i can make some noise behind people. I used to just coast for a sec or two.

Paths can be happy communal places. Everyone is outside doing their thing. Don't F it up by being rude and in a rush. If you want to go fast take the road.
Likes For TXBDan:
Old 08-22-19, 05:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
I was curious what people's experience has been when being passed by, or otherwise encounter, other bikers while out on a ride. Specifically, I'd be interested when riding on a multi-use path (MUT/MUP).

I ride a mtn. bike and noticed most people on road bikes rarely ever let me know they are going to pass me (sometimes catch me by surprise And some of these riders pass fairly close at reasonable speeds (for that trail)...like if I turned my head at the moment of their passing, I might get hit by a shoulder I don't see many other mtn. bikes at all where I ride, so I don't have enuf data to draw any kind of inference from that.

Do others see similar behavior? Or do I have the unfortunate luck to cross paths with road bikers who exhibit bad behavior here in Silicon Valley?...
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've passed literally thousands of people while announcing "passing on your left." As of last weekend, the number of people who have gone left instead of staying or going to the right stands at 3.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I previously posted to a now-closed thread, “On Your Left”:
PASSING
Originally Posted by @badger1
By the way, all the Cat 6 racers round here love that little phrase. Other current favourites: "Coming through" and "Hold your line."
Originally Posted by @Machka
Oh no ... not this.

These threads have started to be as prevalent as the other signs of spring ...the waving and shaving threads
I think Machka was referring to those numerous threads about MUPS, and the up coming cyclist yelling “On your left” as they approached slower pedestrians, cyclists, etc, often with earphones on. I myself initially thought the same, just from the title of this thread.

When I’m passing anyone in any situation, including a fellow cyclist on the road, I don’t yell ”On your left”; at most I will say “Coming up” when nearby, but most importantly will pass with a wide berth. Yelling a warning might be annoying; a startling yell is inappropriate; but close passing is definitely uncalled for.

I like “coming up”…non-committal (as opposed to “on your left”) but not so antagonistic as “coming through.”
BEING PASSED
Originally Posted by Spinay70
I have noticed that when i am out riding and get passed by a 'serious' rider, they rarely announce. I have also seen them buzz past unsuspecting walkers without a word.

This past weekend i spied a 'serious' rider approaching fast in my rear view and they ended up zipping by without any word...and quite close as well.
As a mirror wearer, I like to wave if I see a cyclist coming up from behind, and say hello when they get close, with the intention of (gently) surprising them before they surprise me.

An upcoming paceline makes me think of a school of piranhas.
… Rte 4/225 from Lexington westward is one of my favorite long (about 70 miles) training rides from Boston; and then I return by way of Harvard.

Last year, for about 3-4 hours along the route, starting in Boston, I was passed by wave after wave of strong riders on the B to B Harpoon ride going up to Vermont.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-22-19 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 05:12 PM
Sportdog

Bikes: Trek FX2, Nishiki Tri-A, Univega Sportech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is a topic that is near and dear to me. Up until three years ago I lived on a rural paved road and I had a 26 mile route I could ride on similar low traffic paved country roads. Now I live in a fairly big city and you couldn’t pay me enough to road cycle.
So the MUP is my new norm and to be honest it sucks big time. I have reached a point where an indoor trainer is the only way to get a quality workout so cycling outside for training is almost non-existent for me.
I’ve encountered all the aforementioned problems on the trails and a top speed of 14-15 is the only safe speed for myself and other users, thus a recreation ride.....
Likes For Sportdog:
Old 08-23-19, 06:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
There is a huge problem with Cyclists that are riding TOO FAST FOR CONDITIONS on these multi-use/bicycle paths!
Many ignore the speed limit and just fly way too fast at near 20mph during the most congested and populated times on these multi-use paths.
These jerks are giving Cyclists a bad name.
These offenders tend to be all male in the 18 to 35 year old age group according to the local police.
These folks are old enough to know better but since most of them are single and without any children, according to the police officer, they have no concept of the importance of slowing down and not being a potential reckless menace. Usually once these young bucks finally have children of their own, they will instinctively then realize that they have been a menace to the pedestrians and families with strollers and the dog on the path, as well as joggers, older children, and the elderly people that use the paths for walking. These 18 to 35 year old idiot road bike "serious" cyclists are just as bad as the 16 year old kid with a new drivers license that likes to drive 40 to 45 mph through the Walmart or Kroger parking lot where they are employed and are earning minimum wage. These 16 year old morons with their new licenses do not realize just how dangerous this is as they believe now that it is harmless to accelerate rapidly through crowded parking lots, and speed through school zones. They believe that Nothing bad will happen. The worst that they believe that could happen is that they might receive a TICKET or a Warning from the local police. They do not forsee the possibility of an accident with another car or hitting a pedestrian. They tailgate too and they believe that they can control their car. We all know of stupid accidents by 16 year old drivers, whether it was in 1954, 1965, 1972, 1979, 1999 or whatever year. You might have been lucky but my bet is if you are male and you were 16 when you started driving, that you were likely as horrible as everyone else in any era.
The important thing is that in the case of these "serious" road cyclists that have to use the PATH, are childish and obviously must feel that it is somehow a threat to their manhood if they must SLOW their cycling speed on the PATH to a very moderate 9 to 11 mph and even slower when Dogs, Old People, and runners going in both directions are blocking the way. Most of these offending "jerk cyclists" refuse to use a bell. They feel that a bell is somehow only for the girl or elderly lady on a cruiser bike with a front mounted wicker basket.
My opinion is that there are now too many of these "jerk cyclists" that the perhaps the time has come again for municipalities and or States to require a large visible license plate to mounted on every bicycle that is ridden on public roads, paths, trails, and public parks. I did not think that would ever be necessary ever again but now I'm not sure. It would be an excellent way to quickly identify Cyclists . I have a friend who is an attorney and his belief is that instead of a plate or sticker for each bicycle, that there should be a State issued bicyclist REGISTRATION NUMBER that is identifies the bicyclist. He/she would be required to display that number placard on the bike like for example competition numbers are displayed in a triathlon. He says that every cyclist's helmet should have a sticker with that same State registration number. Bicycle helmet use would be required at all times on public roads, trails, parks, and paths.
He says that children under 18 violating the registration display policy would incur a potential $50 fine for the parents of said child. The fine for those 18 and older (adults) cyclists who violate the registration display policy would incur a potential $250 fine. I know his idea sound like madness but perhaps this method of madness will improve things. Just as folks can now capture video and identify cars on the video by their license plate, so too would it be possible to identify the cyclist on dash cam video or other video by their individual state issued bicyclist REGISTRATION NUMBER no matter what bicycle that person decided to ride on that particular day. I am beginning to see that this may not be too crazy after all. In certain areas, there are just too many jerk cyclists that are misbehaving. It is certainly not the homless folks that are flying down these paths on weekends when everybody is walking the family, jogging, cruising with the kids, etc. The folks messing things up are the young male "serious" road bike riders that do use the paths. They aren't riding Salvation Army specials, as many are seen on things sporting the names Specialized and others. It isn't grandpa on his Specialized. These dumb--- young fellows need to respect the lower speed necessary on the PATHS or they need to just Not Use the PATHS when high pedestrian, dog traffic, and elderly walkers are present! It can be okay for them to ride as fast as they wish to IF YOU HAVE NOBODY THERE with 1000 meters of visibility, but these young bucks need to think about what they are doing. It might be a good suggestion: Make America Think again.
Registration is an incredibly stupid idea that has failed every time it's been tried. The sticker or plate requirement is so difficult to enforce by itself that it's almost universally ignored because the chances of getting "pulled over" for it are nearly zero. So, the notion that you would catch people committing violations by tracking the number is beyond far-fetched even if you could read numbers as someone close-passed you or whatever. Odds are no one will actually be displaying the sticker at all.

Might as well go full "Big Brother" and require everyone to have a RFID chip implanted because that's about what it would take to make this effective. Big no thanks.
Old 08-23-19, 07:01 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Where there is not rule you cannot break the rule. Courtesies vary from place to place, and from time to time, but I've never heard of one where you're expected to announce yourself when passing another cyclist..
Originally Posted by GlennR
I generally call out "on your left" before passing, except if the person is wearing headphone or ear buds. Wearing them means you won't hear me, so why bother. If I have to constantly slow down, then I shouldn't of chosen to be on the MUP.

Everybody needs to remember to share, the path with others.

But others need to remember to keep right, step off the path and not block it if they decide to stop and keep their children/dogs withing reach.
Fixed.

Sharing the path applies to everyone equally.
Old 08-23-19, 07:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Where there is not rule you cannot break the rule. Courtesies vary from place to place, and from time to time, but I've never heard of one where you're expected to announce yourself when passing another cyclist..Fixed.

Sharing the path applies to everyone equally.
That's the umpteeneth time you've asserted that, and it's still untrue. Virtually every MUP has a rule/law that cyclists MUST yield to pedestrians. In other words, pedestrians have more rights on the MUP than cyclists.

As far as announcing your pass, Mass. law states: "The operator shall give an audible warning whenever necessary to insure safe operation of the bicycle; provided, however, the use of a siren or whistle is prohibited." I'm sure you'll quibble with that, but that's a requirement to announce at least your close passes of anyone.
Old 08-23-19, 07:31 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by render ranger
You have many complaints about riding a bike. Time to cut back or adjust your attitude?
I tend to agree.

The OP has a thread recounting negative interactions with joggers, motorists, overweight people and high school students.

This thread seems to be more about negative interactions with Silicon Valley roadies than it is about courtesy.

I struggled with anger for decades. Everyone was wrong and I was right. It took a long time to realize that we all have faults and forgive people for being human. Mostly I needed to forgive myself.

-Tim-
Old 08-23-19, 07:37 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I was curious what people's experience has been when being passed by, or otherwise encounter, other bikers while out on a ride. Specifically, I'd be interested when riding on a multi-use path (MUT/MUP).
We ride ... sometimes we pass people, sometimes people pass us. If they're on bicycles, there's rarely any issues/difficulties/problems. All good.

Cyclists tend to ride briskly on the main MUP and that's OK.

The fact that there are cyclists on the MUP and that some of the are faster than me and will pass me is no surprise. It's to be expected. I hold my line ... they pass ... everyone's happy.

Old 08-23-19, 07:43 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts

I ride a mtn. bike and noticed most people on road bikes rarely ever let me know they are going to pass me (sometimes catch me by surprise And some of these riders pass fairly close at reasonable speeds (for that trail)...like if I turned my head at the moment of their passing, I might get hit by a shoulder I don't see many other mtn. bikes at all where I ride, so I don't have enuf data to draw any kind of inference from that.

Do others see similar behavior? Or do I have the unfortunate luck to cross paths with road bikers who exhibit bad behavior here in Silicon Valley?

Cheers....

"Ride smart. Ride safe. Always have a plan b, c, d, etc."
As I come up I announce myself "on your left", if they don't have head phones on and can hear me, most acknowledge and thank me.
Old 08-23-19, 08:29 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
We ride ... sometimes we pass people, sometimes people pass us. If they're on bicycles, there's rarely any issues/difficulties/problems. All good.

Cyclists tend to ride briskly on the main MUP and that's OK.

The fact that there are cyclists on the MUP and that some of the are faster than me and will pass me is no surprise. It's to be expected. I hold my line ... they pass ... everyone's happy.

looks like the folks down under have it figured out
Old 08-23-19, 08:31 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
This.

If you're riding slowly on a MUP in Silicon Valley it's best to assume you are going to be passed frequently. Ride in a straight line and think about something else. Or ride faster...
Old 08-23-19, 08:33 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
looks like the folks down under have it figured out
they banned Peter Sagan?
Old 08-23-19, 09:35 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Climb14er
Unfortunately the bike paths here in Denver have become almost as dangerous as the roads... and trust me, being on both for many years, people need to be more courteous. There was a disastrous head on bike crash on the main Cherry Creek path downtown and serious injuries between the two riders ensued. Slow down and lay off the excess testosterone.
To be fair, that crash had nothing to do with lack of MUP courtesy, nor was it due to excess testosterone or speed. A rider simply came in minor pedal contact with another rider they were with, which caused them to swerve to the left and momentarily cross the center line at the exact moment someone was coming in the other direction. A small mistake that resulted in a ~35 mph (combined speed) head on collision.

I've been on a group ride where the exact same thing happened, where a rider in my group accidentally crossed the center line and hit someone head-on. The sound of carbon frames, carbon wheels, and tubes exploding simultaneously is something I won't soon forget.

Last edited by Riveting; 08-23-19 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 11:05 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I Ride the Va Capitol trail a lot. I have had very few encounters with rude bicyclists from either end. and those few may have just been having a bad day etc..
Old 08-23-19, 11:18 AM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
To be fair, that crash had nothing to do with lack of MUP courtesy, nor was it due to excess testosterone or speed. A rider simply came in minor pedal contact with another rider they were with, which caused them to swerve to the left and momentarily cross the center line at the exact moment someone was coming in the other direction. A small mistake that resulted in a ~35 mph (combined speed) head on collision.

I've been on a group ride where the exact same thing happened, where a rider in my group accidentally crossed the center line and hit someone head-on. The sound of carbon frames, carbon wheels, and tubes exploding simultaneously is something I won't soon forget.
35mph... combined... the downhill rider was supposedly flying... On Colorado Bike Day... thousands upon thousands on the paths... I stand by my statement of lack of courtesy and excess speed in conditions where BOTH are very dangerous. This Cherry Creek path, especially in downtown, was crowded to the max on this day and also on most days. Sure, touching pedals will cause a crash. However, under the conditions of that day, both riders should have been more aware and perhaps a bit more cautious.
Old 08-23-19, 04:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
When you enter the water you enter the food chain - can’t swim with the sharks and complain about the sharks
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-23-19, 06:11 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I tend to agree.

The OP has a thread recounting negative interactions with joggers, motorists, overweight people and high school students.

This thread seems to be more about negative interactions with Silicon Valley roadies than it is about courtesy.

I struggled with anger for decades. Everyone was wrong and I was right. It took a long time to realize that we all have faults and forgive people for being human. Mostly I needed to forgive myself.

-Tim-
When somebody runs into your because they're distracted by their cellphone? That's carelessness. What then?
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
When you enter the water you enter the food chain - can’t swim with the sharks and complain about the sharks
Sharks are a force of nature. Not a good analogy.
Old 08-23-19, 08:08 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Nah, that was actually a pretty solid analogy.
Old 08-23-19, 10:08 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
My peeve is two or more approaching cyclists on the MUP riding alongside each other, yakking away, They never move, but I go to the right.

What do they do when they approach another pair, Is it the chicken game?
Old 08-24-19, 01:35 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
My peeve is two or more approaching cyclists on the MUP riding alongside each other, yakking away, They never move, but I go to the right.

Just stop and remain perfectly stationary. They'll go around.
Old 08-24-19, 03:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui

If there's plenty of room on the right, I really don't care about that, I don't mind moving a little to the right. If they're crowding my lane so I'd have to go way to the edge, I'm yelling at the guy to get out of my lane. Works like a charm. Startles the hell out of them, but I consider it a lesson they need to learn, and "courtesy" from me or anyone else they're making perform a risky maneuver is not deserved in that instance.
Old 08-26-19, 11:15 AM
Dr.Chipseal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You’re not alone. I live/ride in the Seattle area. Less than 1/3 of riders that pass me announce themselves. Almost none of the electric motor cyclists do, and they tend to fly by. I use a bell when I’m about 50 - 100 ft behind pedestrians, and about 20 behind other riders. I ride road bikes.

Do others see similar behavior? Or do I have the unfortunate luck to cross paths with road bikers who exhibit bad behavior here in Silicon Valley?

Cheers....

"Ride smart. Ride safe. Always have a plan b, c, d, etc."
Old 08-26-19, 11:43 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
If cyclists passing you is causing you stress, the solution is simple. Ride faster so you don't get passed!
Old 08-26-19, 11:45 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting

How the heck do two different bicyclists manage to hit pedals together? I thought that there feet would stop any pedal to pedal contact.

Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.