Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Connecting Zwift App to Smart TV

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 12:45 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts

Is the Apple TV device required? If not is it recommended?

I am getting the Bowflex C6 bike and prefer the Zwift app to Peloton,

Thanks
Old 11-13-20, 02:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Zwift runs on android, apple, or windows platforms.
So you can hook up a laptop to your TV and run Zwift through the laptop or you can use the Apple TV.

Prior to a month ago, I used a windows laptop and completely hated the experience. Zwift was slow to load, dropped the connection a lot, and seemed to constantly need to install updates when I would try to log in to ride.
The Apple TV is comparatively awesome. It is bluetooth only, so the power info from the bike needs to be on a bluetooth compatible device and that has been significantly more stable than the ant+ connection I used to use. The program loads immediately which is so nice. Zwift connects to my trainer and I am logged in in less than a minute. Since Apple TV is connected all the time, Zwift updates apply when released instead of when you open the program.
The graphics are perfectly fine for me, but Ive read gaming laptops provide crisper graphics.
The only negative I have experienced is the Apple remote is terrible for Zwift. You have to swipe the touch pad like 10 times sometimes to select something on the screen. Ill take that any day of the week, given how much better the experience is overall.
Old 11-13-20, 04:18 PM
Mulberry20

So according to Zwift, from the IPhone App to the TV the performance should be equal while casting or going through the Apple TV device, we shall see.
Old 11-13-20, 04:41 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
If you air play to the TV. You can not use the Zwift companion app at the same time.
Old 11-13-20, 04:46 PM
kcjc

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
ATV is the one of the cheapest device to run Zwift but you get what you pay for. The game is not GPU hungry but does need a minimum. ATV is good for the lowest resolution.
Old 11-13-20, 04:54 PM
Mulberry20

So question, when using the IPhone App which the best way to set it up?
Old 11-14-20, 01:27 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I used a Iphone 6 with a HDMI cable for a while and thought it was fine. I had to use another phone for the companion app but I had many kicking around and the appearance was ok but a little choppy. For some reason though I was still losing battery even plugged in and the phone was getting hot. I tried airplay to a ATV3 but I was not pleased as it dropped connection sometimes. Since then I use a computer as I prefer the better graphics and smoothness. A powerful CPU is not needed but a good video card is. At full quality I can only get 30fps with a 4 gig video card.
Old 11-14-20, 04:58 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I used an iPad with HDMI cable for a while worked fine (the type of cable that allows you to be charging while doing so), used my Android phone for the Zwift Companion App. Had been running Zwift on my daughter's old Mac laptop, but she took that back.

I bought Apple TV for the pain cave because my wife uses a treadmill that is next to my bike trainer - ATV allowed me to get rid of a cable TV box I was paying for so she could watch TV while running. On the 32 inch TV down there, the resolution is good enough - seems at least equal to the iPad but when I see some of the You Tube videos of Zwift where you see shadows of the bikes and other graphic richness, definitely not that. I'm a big fan of ATV for Zwift now.