Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with a Trek rear Isospeed?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-20, 01:27 AM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Have a Trek with the adjustable rear Isospeed Decoupler in the head tube. Have been getting a creaking noise during my last few rides most noticeable when climbing in the saddle.

Went through a bunch of troubleshooting steps associated with the saddle and seat post (removing, re-greasing/carbon pasting, torque specing, etc.) and it doesn't seem to be getting better.

I can re-create the creaking if I hold the bike in place and push down on the saddle. It sounds like the noise is coming from the joint where the head tube meets the seat post.

Wondering if anyone has had this issue? If so, is there a component that might need greasing or some other attention?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-22-20, 11:02 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Head tube? You mean seat tube, right? The head tube is the one at the front, the fork goes through it. I worked for Trek for a while (service mgr at a Trek owned shop) and dealt w/ a bunch of IS issues. Sounds like you might have some corrosion where the bearings press into the frame. I'd remove the cover and have a look for starters.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-22-20, 11:33 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
When you buy a carbon frame creaking is part of the experience. Seat tubes, bottom brackets, bars and stems etc. it’s part of the charm of owning a carbon frame.

Look at the thread for the Cannondale SuperSix seat tube The fix was to put a business card in there to stop creaking. People actually pay upwards of $5,000 for that privilege.

Embrace it 🤩

Last edited by Mulberry20; 11-22-20 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-22-20, 04:01 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
When you buy a carbon frame creaking is part of the experience. Seat tubes, bottom brackets, bars and stems etc. it’s part of the charm of owning a carbon frame.

Look at the thread for the Cannondale SuperSix seat tube The fix was to put a business card in there to stop creaking. People actually pay upwards of $5,000 for that privilege.

Embrace it 🤩
Huh. I didn't know that. Now I'm worried.

My carbon frameset doesn't "creak" -- anywhere. Even has Specialized's Future Shock in the head tube. That doesn't "creak" either. Even has the dreaded 'wedge'-style seat post clamp thingy. That doesn't "creak" either. B/B area? Nope.

Hmmmm. Was I short-changed? Defective frameset? Should I ask for warranty service to rectify this deficiency and install some "creaks"?
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-22-20, 04:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Huh. I didn't know that. Now I'm worried.

My carbon frameset doesn't "creak" -- anywhere. Even has Specialized's Future Shock in the head tube. That doesn't "creak" either. Even has the dreaded 'wedge'-style seat post clamp thingy. That doesn't "creak" either. B/B area? Nope.

Hmmmm. Was I short-changed? Defective frameset? Should I ask for warranty service to rectify this deficiency and install some "creaks"?
Same here – 5 carbon bikes and no creaks. Should we start a class action suit and claim what's rightfully ours?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-22-20, 05:43 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Same here – 5 carbon bikes and no creaks. Should we start a class action suit and claim what's rightfully ours?
Seriously considering it. I smell a windfall prospect!
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-22-20, 07:10 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I never had any issues with creaking on my SuperSix, but I did have some on my Synapse. Not had any issues on my Domane. The only thing I hear is the tires on the road.

Old 11-22-20, 07:18 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20

Embrace it 🤩
What about steel, Ti, and aluminum? Are they all magically silent or are you just butthurt over something that happened with a carbon frame?
Old 11-24-20, 12:17 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
What about steel, Ti, and aluminum? Are they all magically silent or are you just butthurt over something that happened with a carbon frame?
I've only had two carbon frames and neither of them creaked. I am, however, going crazy trying to chase down a creak in a steel frame with a threaded bottom bracket.
My apologies to the OP that the thread is veering off topic. No experience with IsoSpeed here.
Old 11-24-20, 03:44 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
My non-adjustable rear ISO Speed has a creak but not all the time. It doesn't bug me enough to try and find a solution, maybe in time.

Sorry I don't have a fix for you.
Old 11-24-20, 04:01 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I have 4, and they all creak like crazy if that is what we need to say to win.
Old 11-25-20, 07:38 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Never had a creak on my Aluminum Domane. That said, I always felt the Isospeed was a bit of a gimmick. I finally gave up on this bike after vibration and road chatter took its toll on my body.

I've since moved on to steel framed gravel bike with a carbon seat post and wider, supple tubeless tires. Not as speedy as a road bike, but a hell lots more fun and cut down that road chatter. I’d rather be comfortable over fast.
Old 11-25-20, 07:58 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmith41094
I can re-create the creaking if I hold the bike in place and push down on the saddle.
Not to dismiss any of the other suggestions, but can you re-create it with the saddle removed?

John