Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Article on Bike Share programs.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 09:23 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts

Why some bike shares work and others don't.

Old 01-17-21, 03:23 PM
Comfort is King

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
Good article. They're right about geography being a major factor for if a bike share will be successful in a particular city. When I lived in Seattle, it completely flopped. Too hilly for those bikes. Even a maniac would struggle with one of those if any distance was involved, unless the ride were restricted to the bike trail, which is where most were used. Throw in a mandatory helmet law and rain for half the year, and it should have been no surprise that nobody used them.
Likes For Comfort is King:
Old 01-19-21, 09:54 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
The 3 bike share companies in my community switched to e-scooters. I did see many folks using the bikes but I saw even more trashed bikes littering trails and empty lots.
Old 01-19-21, 02:50 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Bike shares in my locale have been successful. Last year they switched to e-bikes. From what I've seen, there are no trashed or abandoned bikes to speak of.

The pictures you see from China are because dockless e-bikes were an investment bubble, probably exacerbated by lack of adequate regulations on financial disclosure. The same bubble hit the US with dockless scooters, but didn't manage to progress as far.

Imagine how disorganized those bikes would be without kick stands.
Old 01-21-21, 07:13 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The 3 bike share companies in my community switched to e-scooters. I did see many folks using the bikes but I saw even more trashed bikes littering trails and empty lots.
The same thing happened here. From what I see the scooters don't get a lot of use either. Doesn't seem like the usage rate will be sufficient to sustain a profitable operation.
Old 04-20-21, 11:49 PM
LWC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Great article. Thanks
Old 04-21-21, 06:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I think Aristotle got it right a couple thousand years ago: people take better care of private property than they do of communal property. Rather than bike shares, we probably need some kind of unified federal program to encourage (subsidize) bike ownership. But I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-21-21, 07:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
They tried the dockless bike system in Nashua starting in 2018, then added scooters in 2019. VeoRide has quietly dropped the contract with the city, and I think the issue was the high cost of maintenance and hunting down the vehicles. Only good thing about it is it didn't cost the city anything.

The one time I considered using a bike, I was returning home from dropping off my own bike at the shop for repair and figured I'd use the bike share for the 2.5 mile ride. I decided to walk when I found out I had to prepay for $10 worth of rides in order to use it for the supposedly free trial ride. Rides normally were fifty cents, so I never would have used that up..
Old 04-21-21, 07:49 PM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
I would put trailers behind buses to make it easy for people to bring their bikes with them.
Old 04-22-21, 05:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
I would put trailers behind buses to make it easy for people to bring their bikes with them.

The fold up racks on the front are very easy to use
Old 04-22-21, 11:18 AM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
The fold up racks on the front are very easy to use
In Montreal only 9 out of 200+ bus routes are equipped with bike racks. And each bus has space for two bikes.

On the metro (subway) there is a limit of 5 bikes in the front car only. And only between 10 and 3 o'clock. Also if the train is too crowded which is often then you are sol.
Old 04-22-21, 02:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

In Montreal only 9 out of 200+ bus routes are equipped with bike racks. And each bus has space for two bikes.

On the metro (subway) there is a limit of 5 bikes in the front car only. And only between 10 and 3 o'clock. Also if the train is too crowded which is often then you are sol.

I've actually never seen a situation where a bus needed more than 2 bike spaces. I'm sure it must happen, but I've never even heard of it.

That's bad that they've kept the intermodal bike infrastructure that bad in Montreal. I used to do that form of transit when I lived in the SF Bay Area, and it was actually a pretty great way to go from the BART to the CalTrain.
Old 04-22-21, 10:04 PM
homeless in ca.

Since fewer than 5% of the bus routes allow bicycles the number of bike spaces might as well be zero.
Old 04-23-21, 03:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Since fewer than 5% of the bus routes allow bicycles the number of bike spaces might as well be zero.
Agreed. That's pretty much the definition of a token effort. They can truthfully lie by saying "we allow bikes on buses." Just don't mention that it's only a few of them.
Old 04-23-21, 05:19 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
The term "Bike Share" is a misnomer. When I share something I normally don't ask for money in return, and bike share is really just bike rental. The name should be "Government Subsidized Bike Rental" because these programs rely on the government allowing the use of publicly owned real estate (in the way of places to dock bicycles on public lands and streets) in exchange for hosting the program. Most of these programs are not and cannot be supported purely on the basis of the income received from users. That is, the expenses from operating such programs are in excess of the income received. In some places bike share programs are used more for tourist related sightseeing (say Miami Beach) than others where the bikes are used more for commuting (say New York or Montreal). While subsidizing transportation for commuting seems reasonable I am not so sure subsidizing tourist related sightseeing is desirable. In some places large bike share programs are taking business away from small independent bicycle shops that formerly rented bicycles to the public.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 04-23-21, 10:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ARider2
The term "Bike Share" is a misnomer. When I share something I normally don't ask for money in return, and bike share is really just bike rental. The name should be "Government Subsidized Bike Rental" because these programs rely on the government allowing the use of publicly owned real estate (in the way of places to dock bicycles on public lands and streets) in exchange for hosting the program. Most of these programs are not and cannot be supported purely on the basis of the income received from users. That is, the expenses from operating such programs are in excess of the income received. In some places bike share programs are used more for tourist related sightseeing (say Miami Beach) than others where the bikes are used more for commuting (say New York or Montreal). While subsidizing transportation for commuting seems reasonable I am not so sure subsidizing tourist related sightseeing is desirable. In some places large bike share programs are taking business away from small independent bicycle shops that formerly rented bicycles to the public.

I'm skeptical of this claim. I wouldn't use a bike share bike if I was planning on tooling around all day and might rent a higher quality ride for the day. I suspect the vast majority of bike share tourists are only renting for short hops and probably wouldn't have rented at all if it wasn't so convenient to hop on and hop off. Those tourists are almost certainly going into local businesses between hops, so this subsidy of tourist biking might actually be encouraging "foot traffic" hop-offs when people don't have to worry about securing the rental bike. Long story short--I don't think there are that many jobs at small bike shops that are likely to be affected, and there may be more jobs created by increasing mobility of tourists to hop from store to store. Not to mention that the bike share program itself creates jobs.
Old 04-23-21, 11:24 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
We have a small "bike share" system here in Fargo ND. It is supposedly a huge success. The overwhelming majority of users (90% of the rides) are North Dakota State University students, who pay for it with student fees. Short version: students pay for the system regardless of weather or not they use it and it is rolled into their student loans so they don't have to pay for it now. Take away the revenue from NDSU and the system will collapse.

Tourists? They park downtown and walk, or they park at NDSU and walk, or they park near the wood chipper, which is about 4 miles from the nearest bike share docks, and walk.

I once tried to rent a bike for a couple days when I was traveling to the San Francisco Bay Area. It was more than renting a car, so the bosses said not on their nickel. I rode the BART, walked, or got a ride from the hotel shuttle.
Old 04-23-21, 02:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
We have a small "bike share" system here in Fargo ND. It is supposedly a huge success. The overwhelming majority of users (90% of the rides) are North Dakota State University students, who pay for it with student fees. Short version: students pay for the system regardless of weather or not they use it and it is rolled into their student loans so they don't have to pay for it now. Take away the revenue from NDSU and the system will collapse.

Tourists? They park downtown and walk, or they park at NDSU and walk, or they park near the wood chipper, which is about 4 miles from the nearest bike share docks, and walk.

I once tried to rent a bike for a couple days when I was traveling to the San Francisco Bay Area. It was more than renting a car, so the bosses said not on their nickel. I rode the BART, walked, or got a ride from the hotel shuttle.
Wait, is it proper to pluralize "tourist" when you're talking about Fargo?

Sorry, grew up in Minneapolis and couldn't resist.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-25-21, 12:46 AM
licooper9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
An informative and good article!

Thank you for sharing!
Old 04-25-21, 05:47 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by ARider2
The term "Bike Share" is a misnomer....
The same can be said about Uber and "ride share". There's nothing about sharing a ride when you hire Uber. Cities are too timid to challenge Uber on this claim.

But I digress.

Back to topic.
Old 04-25-21, 05:54 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
The article does not address if docking stations have any effect on its care and success.

If a user has to return the bike to a docking station to stop the clock, these bikes won't be treated like trash. Also, bike share and bike lanes go together. If you can't provide bicycle infrastructure, you can't expand its usage. I can't honestly believe someone would pick up a bike that someone else had trashed somewhere in the boonies and ride it back to civilization without any protected bike lane anywhere. If docking stations were at bike lanes, even at hill tops, they will still be used. When you go down a hill, eventually you'll need to go back up.

Last edited by Daniel4; 04-25-21 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-25-21, 06:16 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Here in the Washington, DC area, the docked bikes (Capital Bikeshare, or CABI) has been a resounding success ands is now an integral part of the r=transportation system, but the dockless ones, like Jump and Ofo have failed. I think the focus on "last mile" transportation and the fact that daily use of a car during rush hour is so difficult are major factors.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 04-26-21, 08:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PaulH
Here in the Washington, DC area, the docked bikes (Capital Bikeshare, or CABI) has been a resounding success ands is now an integral part of the r=transportation system, but the dockless ones, like Jump and Ofo have failed. I think the focus on "last mile" transportation and the fact that daily use of a car during rush hour is so difficult are major factors.

I docked a bike share pretty much right next to National Airport (I had to walk a few blocks). Not a lot of other places in the US where you can do that.