Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is Park Tool PPL-I grease good for lubricating non-bike applications?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21, 05:55 PM
alpharalpha

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a articulating monitor mount that has plastic bushing like arm sleeves that come in bags greased ready to fit on arm, but I had to handle the mount a bit and the greased got rubbed off and this is at the base where most of the swivel's weight is at; so I used a small amount of my Park Tool bearing grease (PPL-I) thick, green colored; am wondering if this was a good choice as I have never used it in a non sealed environment (the metal arm fits over the bushing so is somewhat protected, but there has to be some gap for it to easily swivel. Do you think it will stay put or over time make it's way to bottom; like what's its viscosity when somewhat exposed as it is? Is in air conditioned room and like I said, is pretty much covered; just concerned about how gravity will affect it? Is this one, applied where lower arm meets wall mount. https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/produ...hed%20aluminum

Old 02-12-21, 07:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
You are in an excellent position to answer that question! Monitor it for a month and check back with the results.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-12-21, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Probably won't hurt anything. Polylube is good for a great number of things grease wise. Though you might want to look at ceramic grease for this application it will give you all the watts you can eek out of your monitor.
Likes For veganbikes: