Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hands on Bars

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Hands on Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-21, 06:43 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Hands on Bars

Assume one is riding along and for whatever reason loses control of the bike. As the bike begins to go down does the rider's keeping hands on the bars HELP , if it does HOW and WHY does keeping hands on the bars during a crash protect you.
Old 04-01-21, 06:46 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
The most common injury with crashing on a bike, save for going over the bar, is probably hand/wrist/arm fracture. Keeping the hands on the bar likely helps prevent this. You'll land on your hip/shoulder/thigh. Your instinct is to stick your hands out to brace the fall, which likely results in a broken wrist/ulna/radius.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 04-01-21, 07:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Who recommends keeping your hands on the bars during a crash? Maybe in certain kinds of crashes it's the safest response, but it definitely shouldn't be general rule.
Old 04-01-21, 09:05 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
Some kids with there daddies construction truck struck me with a board hat they hung out into the road while they were passing me. I had broken cartilage in several fingers' of my left hand and a cracked helmet. The next time I went down it was from a pickup truck deliberately pushing me over and I was able to twist my body and tuck my head so no damage to hands or helmet. I landed mostly on my butt. I did tear the meniscus in my left nee because the frogs have a built up stop to keep your foot from releasing toward the bicycle.
Old 04-01-21, 09:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I'm not a gymnast and couldn't have been one when I was young. I'm clumsy. I raced in my 20s. I kept a simple mantra. Don't let go of the bars until after you hit the road. Means that you are going for a skin losing slide but the odds are improved that won't break bones and will probably be able to remount and get home. (And not lose training time and condition.)

This has had long term consequences. I rode in the toestrap days. If you wore good cleats and pulled good straps tight, your feet weren't coming off the pedals. (My first post crash thought and move was to reach down and release the buckles so I could get off the road as fast as possible. Bystanders always told me to be still. No thanks! I know what road kill looks like.) So my spills were mostly slides. Being thin and bony, the same corners took the abuse many times. Now I have to sleep on padding with holes for those corners. And I ride much more carefully because I really don't want to do those corners again.

The two times I crashed and broke arm/hand bones I put that arm down. As a teen, then the winter after my last race when I left my mantra at home. Now I have gone over the handlebars and had bikes knocked out from under me by cars. Like I said, I'm clumsy. I've broken collarbones and ribs. Hit my helmet. (That one happened so suddenly that I doubt letting go of the handlebars would have made any difference at all other than perhaps adding another broken bone. Given the severity of the head injury and the seizure that resulted, a clean set would have been highly unlikely if it was on my right arm/hand.)
Old 04-01-21, 10:26 PM
ropetwitch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
One of the reasons why cycling accident happens is lack of road awareness. As to body part, knee is the most common prone to injuries.
I haven't tried being in an accident and reading this thread, most recommended to stay the hands in the bar. Is this applicable at all times?
Old 04-02-21, 06:19 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
My most spectacular (bicycle) crash so far involved me riding at 40km/h and a dog running parallel to me in a field across the road that not only kept pace but was able to get ahead of me, take a driveway from the field onto the road, cross the road and impact me around the bottom bracket.

15 rib fractures of 9 ribs and a collapsed lung. Apparently most rib fractures happen at the side, at the apex of their curve.

Mine? All at the very back on the right side. the bottom 4 ribs broke right at the spine, which I'm told is not common and takes some doing.

During my recovery I tried to figure out how that happened and the only thing that makes sense is that the impact caused me to snap-roll into the pavement with the front wheel knocked to the left, the direction the dog came from. If I hit the ground with my right arm still bent and me still hunched over the bars, my right arm would be along the apex of my ribs causing them to "blow out" somewhere... in my case it was at the spine rather than the sternum.

Had it happened more slowly I probably would have instinctively put my arms out and would have had much more serious injuries.

I need my hands and arms to do my job... hard to type and move the mouse in a productive way when confined by immobilizing contraptions like external fixators (trust me) or casts (never had one!). I did take 12 days off work, but was able to get back to work quickly as broken ribs didn't affect what I do for a living beyond that.

Tuck and roll (even if involuntarily!) in my case very likely resulted in less overall injury in my specific case and absolutely resulted in a faster recovery** so I would recommend that if possible. I think I'm also lucky that I didn't have more than superficial leg issues - when I came-to on the road, one foot was still clipped-in and I struggled to get free of the bike to get off the road as it was the morning commuting hour. It's REALLY hard to unclip and wiggle off the road when you're lying on 15 rib fractures. lol

** I was riding back to work within 4 weeks and multiday endurance rides in 2.5 months. I'm still suffering impacts of the crash, but I would be even having had broken arms. I doubt I would have been riding again so quickly though.
Old 04-02-21, 08:23 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Using your arms for protection when falling is a valid method for reducing or avoiding other serious injuries. It all depends on how you use them. See martial arts breakfalls for proper technique.
Old 04-02-21, 09:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Are the martial arts people traveling 20 mph when the do these back falls and stuff?

I keep my hands and feet attached to the bike. I think it's helped for all the high speed crashes I've had. I can only suppose why, so I won't do that here. The one wreck at over 20 mph I had that I have no recollection or memory of, I apparently came off the bike from all the evidence I can tell. And I was badly damaged. But only my skull cracked, not arms, wrists or hands. Though skin was missing from parts.

I sort of have the belief that one of the many deer that are on the trail that time of year simply jumped over me and knocked me off. But there is no proof of that. However last year on the anniversary of my crash, there were five deer at my crash site. And a total of ten on the entire 11 mile stretch of MUP.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-02-21 at 09:47 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-02-21, 09:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Using your arms for protection when falling is a valid method for reducing or avoiding other serious injuries. It all depends on how you use them. See martial arts breakfalls for proper technique.
I've never had any martial arts training, so I wouldn't trust myself sticking my hands out. I'll keep my hands on the bars, as I've done in previous crashes. I've broken bikes, I've broken helmets, I've torn the backs of my gloves, but thankfully I've never broken myself.
Old 04-02-21, 10:21 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I don't know, I don't fall down that much to know...that's funny because it's true