Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Super Six Evo question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Super Six Evo question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 11:39 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I had a 2012 Super Six Evo Red Racing. I quit riding and sold it. I have to say that it was the fastest bike I had ever owned. The power transfer to the rear wheel was unbelievable. With that being said, it was also the most uncomfortable bike I had owned as well. 2 plus hour rides were miserable. I have 2 words that I use to describe that bike, fast and hard.
Old 04-20-21, 11:42 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I have to add that it is the bike I'm holding in my profile pic. That was my first ride on the bike, up Hoosier Pass. I also didn't like the SRAM double tap shifting system, especially after riding Shimano for over 20 years. That was my first bike with SRAM components and I eventually got used to it.
Old 04-20-21, 12:56 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Question for Supersix experts; why does the Supersix have a relatively shorter reach for a similar height stack for the TCR? Is it a general characteristic of Cannondales vs other brands?

For instance, my XL size TCR has 595mm stack and 412mm reach while a 58cm Supersix has 594mm stack and 395mm reach.
Old 04-20-21, 06:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
All I know is that while still being comfortable, my SSE has the best feeling of power transfer of any bike I've ridden, my previous 2019 Tarmac SL6 probably being the closest competitor, it was no slouch, but I think the SSE is better. I'm 84kg and make good power, and when I stomp on it, she just goes, feels like every bit of my power is going straight to the pavement. That's good enough for me.
I am not just concerned about power transfer. I am mostly concerned about how much extra punishment I can take over what I get on my Synapse (with a SAVE seat post). Snotrub had an older one and I do understand that the current one is more forgiving.
Old 04-20-21, 08:28 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I have done centry rides with mine and felt no discomfort.
Old 04-20-21, 11:29 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Question for Supersix experts; why does the Supersix have a relatively shorter reach for a similar height stack for the TCR? Is it a general characteristic of Cannondales vs other brands?

For instance, my XL size TCR has 595mm stack and 412mm reach while a 58cm Supersix has 594mm stack and 395mm reach.
You would normally either have a Large TCR or a 58cm C'dale.
So really it is more that it has less stack rather than much more reach, but basically it is just a more aggressive fit.
I wouldn't say it is a general characteristic of Cannondales though as they do make longer and lower versions.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 04-21-21, 08:17 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I am not just concerned about power transfer. I am mostly concerned about how much extra punishment I can take over what I get on my Synapse (with a SAVE seat post). Snotrub had an older one and I do understand that the current one is more forgiving.
Gotcha. My last road bike was a Giant Defy, their endurance bike, it's just as comfortable, imo. For a stiff bike with good power transfer, it's not harsh at all. I had 32mm GP5Ks that measured almost 34mm on a wide wheelset, still plenty of clearance on the SSE and very comfortable. Even with the 28s on the wheelset, it's comfortable, and the roads here are pretty rough.
Old 04-21-21, 11:39 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Gotcha. My last road bike was a Giant Defy, their endurance bike, it's just as comfortable, imo. For a stiff bike with good power transfer, it's not harsh at all. I had 32mm GP5Ks that measured almost 34mm on a wide wheelset, still plenty of clearance on the SSE and very comfortable. Even with the 28s on the wheelset, it's comfortable, and the roads here are pretty rough.
Thank you. Between this and the giant stack of spacers, there may be hope for me after all.