Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rear wheel not set equally flush in drop outs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 12:34 PM
bike_forum_geek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Hi all, I'm repairing a bike for a neighbor. I true-d the rear wheel so it clears the brake pads. When I install the wheel one side of the axle sits flush in the drop out, but the non drive side does not sit flush in the drop out. It's off by about 1/2 inch. I'm not sure I want the neighbor to ride this way. What else needs doing? Your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-21, 12:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Might help to know what type of drop outs the bike has. Even better, the year, make and model of bike.

I've put a wheel in the old style Campagnolo horizontal drop outs crooked, yet it was still centered decently between the rim brake pads. So it's not a unimaginable thing.

But it can just as well be slightly bent stays on a bike of unknown history. Or other stuff.
Old 04-20-21, 01:03 PM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Might help to know what type of drop outs the bike has. Even better, the year, make and model of bike.

I've put a wheel in the old style Campagnolo horizontal drop outs crooked, yet it was still centered decently between the rim brake pads. So it's not a unimaginable thing.

But it can just as well be slightly bent stays on a bike of unknown history. Or other stuff.
Thanks for the reply. The bike is an Electra Coaster 7, probably at least 10 years old. I don't think the stays are bent.
Old 04-20-21, 02:29 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I don’t think there is an issue. Electra made the Coaster in SS, 3 speed and 7 speed with horizontal dropouts. I’m sure they used the same frame. It needed to be adjustable for the non-derailleur single and 3 speed chains.

John
Old 04-20-21, 02:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Seven speed freewheel or seven speed freehub?

If freewheel, maybe axle bent slightly. I suppose even a freehub might have a bent axle, but that is less likely.

It is a derailleur type and not an IGH hub isn't it?

At any rate, I still really don't know what type drops that bike has. Regardless you want to center the wheel between the chain and seat stays before the brakes. Then the rim brakes get adjusted to that. If that is what it is, then I might suspect this is one of those bikes with dropout slots that are longer on the DR side that are for older types of DR mounts that used to fit in the slot.

As long as the slot extends beyond the nut or QR then you shouldn't worry too much.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-20-21 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-20-21, 03:12 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,210 Posts
Just make sure the wheel is secure (tight enough) in the dropout, and you've got two sides of the nut tight against the dropout. You don't want the nut or QR hanging off the front of the dropout!
Old 04-20-21, 04:38 PM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Seven speed freewheel or seven speed freehub?

If freewheel, maybe axle bent slightly. I suppose even a freehub might have a bent axle, but that is less likely.

It is a derailleur type and not an IGH hub isn't it?

At any rate, I still really don't know what type drops that bike has. Regardless you want to center the wheel between the chain and seat stays before the brakes. Then the rim brakes get adjusted to that. If that is what it is, then I might suspect this is one of those bikes with dropout slots that are longer on the DR side that are for older types of DR mounts that used to fit in the slot.

As long as the slot extends beyond the nut or QR then you shouldn't worry too much.
Thanks. It's a freewheel with derailleur. I would think a bent axle would cause more wobble. I'll plan to service the rear hub, I might find something there. I centered the wheel as you said. The dropout slots are the same length on both sides, ~2inches. The slot does does extend beyond the nut about 1/8 inch, thanks for that.

Last edited by bike_forum_geek; 04-20-21 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-23-21, 09:24 AM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
OK, I didn't see the spacer bolt on the drive side drop out, it takes about 1/4 inch. Axle fits into the drop outs about the same on both sides. Always good to have a 2nd set of eyes check when you're stuck. Thanks to all for the help.

I was thinking of dishing the wheel, that experience will have to wait :=)