Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing Regina Freewheel?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-21-21, 01:02 PM
tendency 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 104 Posts

Hey all - I've got an ancient Regina freewheel on a Suntour Cyclone hub. How do I remove it from the hub? Unscrew using the two indentations on the outer ring (im guessing that will just exposed the freewheel bearings, however)? Thanks!

Old 04-21-21, 01:07 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
There seem to splines on the inside where a remover tool should fit. I think the splined Reginas use the same tool (VAR-RL-40100) as the older narrow Atoms
Old 04-21-21, 01:09 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I hope you still have the cog(s) that fit on the body, as you will need them with a chain wrench to apply
counter torque when you find the splined tool to remove the freewheel. If you look closely in the gap
between the axle nut/axle and the part of the freewheel that has "Regina" in the pix you will see a
few of the splines that are meant for removal. The dimples in the ring allow access with a pin tool to the ball bearings
and ratchet/pawls for lube and cleaning but not to remove the body. I would have to do some research
but no doubt someone will chime in on the actual tool needed or you could look on Parktool.com.
Old 04-21-21, 01:23 PM
tendency 

Originally Posted by sch
I hope you still have the cog(s) that fit on the body, as you will need them with a chain wrench to apply
counter torque when you find the splined tool to remove the freewheel. If you look closely in the gap
between the axle nut/axle and the part of the freewheel that has "Regina" in the pix you will see a
few of the splines that are meant for removal. The dimples in the ring allow access with a pin tool to the ball bearings
and ratchet/pawls for lube and cleaning but not to remove the body. I would have to do some research
but no doubt someone will chime in on the actual tool needed or you could look on Parktool.com.
Yes I still have the cogs .. hmm maybe it would just be better to take it to my LBS instead of forking out $$$ for a tool I'll only use once. Thanks.
Old 04-21-21, 03:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
The Park FR-4 is probably the easiest remover tool to find for that spline pattern, but you may have to remove the locknut to get the tool to seat properly. Some hubs, e.g. Campagnolo, Phil Wood, have large diameter locknuts that prevent the Park tool from seating. If you have this problem, and can't remove the locknut, you need to use a thin-wall remover tool from Phil Wood or Zeus that can fit over the locknut and seat properly on the splines. But those tools are harder to find than the Park FR-4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
phil-fw-tool.jpg (101.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg
zeus-fw-tool.jpg (15.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-21-21, 03:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
counter torque when you find the splined tool to remove the freewheel.
You don't need a chain whip to remove a freewheel, just the correct tool.
Old 04-21-21, 05:35 PM
tendency 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The Park FR-4 is probably the easiest remover tool to find for that spline pattern, but you may have to remove the locknut to get the tool to seat properly. Some hubs, e.g. Campagnolo, Phil Wood, have large diameter locknuts that prevent the Park tool from seating. If you have this problem, and can't remove the locknut, you need to use a thin-wall remover tool from Phil Wood or Zeus that can fit over the locknut and seat properly on the splines. But those tools are harder to find than the Park FR-4.
Ahhhh I get it now; it's similar to a bottom bracket. Thanks all!
Old 04-21-21, 09:38 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
It has a splined inner ring and you'll need a spline freewheel tool as has been previously stated. You also will probably need to remove the cone so that the tool can fit onto the spline and remove the freewheel.
Old 04-21-21, 10:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,790 Times in 2,270 Posts
For most hubs the Phil and later Park Atom tools will fit without removing axle cones/locknuts. But the person doing the work will figure that out. Andy