Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have (or used to have) a 97 or 98 Litespeed Tuscany?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 07:08 PM
jlapennas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found a pretty good deal on a Litespeed Tuscany that is probably either a 97 or a 98. It doesn't have the GET tubing or at least no to the same degree as the newer models. It might have a flatted down tube at the bottom bracket? I've heard that Litespeeds may have gone down in quality lately (maybe) but I'm wondering if this frame is likely to be significantly less stiff than a newer one (with the emphasis placed on "significantly" - I'm not a serious racer). Does anyone have any experience with older Tuscany's? Also, can anyone with an old catalogue tell me if its a 1" or 1 1/8" headset because I want to upgrade to threadless. Thanks.
Old 09-20-05, 07:33 PM
Moonshot
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlapennas
...I've heard that Litespeeds may have gone down in quality lately (maybe)...
I wouldn't say that anywhere near Ooltewah, Tn...

The welds on my '04 Tuscany are perfect.

Anyway, a friend has a pre-GET Tuscany and he loves it. He talked me out of a steel bike and into buying Ti. Sorry, I can't say if the pre-GET is more compliant or not. Have you been able to ride it yet?

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Old 09-20-05, 07:55 PM
jlapennas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main beef I've heard about newer Litespeeds relates to aluminum shells (or something) in the head tube and integrated headsets. I know people debate this all the time but if you've ever really contemplated the physics of the situation or looked at a beat up bearing set, cup, or cone I think it's clear that the headset is about much more than steering and it needs to be fully replaceable.
Old 09-20-05, 08:23 PM
davis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlapennas
The main beef I've heard about newer Litespeeds relates to aluminum shells (or something) in the head tube and integrated headsets. I know people debate this all the time but if you've ever really contemplated the physics of the situation or looked at a beat up bearing set, cup, or cone I think it's clear that the headset is about much more than steering and it needs to be fully replaceable.
Litespeed has moved away from integrated headsets for 2006: 2006 Tuscany
Old 09-20-05, 08:38 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by davis
Litespeed has moved away from integrated headsets for 2006: 2006 Tuscany
Finally, LS has gotten the clue that integrated headsets are not all their cracked up to be. The new Tuscany also has a down tube that's ovalized in the proper direction at the bottom bracket to resist sway. It's about time.

Regarding the origional topic, LS switched over to 1-1/8" steerer tubes in 2001 for the Tuscany line. That's the year they upped the size of the down tube from 1-3/8" to 1-1/2" as well. Based on this fairly small down tube, I'd expect the older frame to be a fair bit flexier, but ride better, than the newer one. Stiffness or ride quality, you can't have both.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Old 10-18-05, 06:46 PM
HJR

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Team, Cervelo SuperProdigy, Colnago C50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bit off topic, but I have heard that LS changes things subtly from year to year. For example, I was told that the Tuscany in 2003 and 2004 was noticeably stiffer than 2002 to the point that it was "too stiff". I heard they reverted back in 2005 to the more "forgiving" set-up. I don't know if it is true. Maybe some of the LS experts may know more.
Old 10-18-05, 06:58 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by HJR
I bit off topic, but I have heard that LS changes things subtly from year to year. For example, I was told that the Tuscany in 2003 and 2004 was noticeably stiffer than 2002 to the point that it was "too stiff". I heard they reverted back in 2005 to the more "forgiving" set-up. I don't know if it is true. Maybe some of the LS experts may know more.
In 2004/5 the Tuscany has a tall oval down tube, 2001/2 had a more moderately sized and ovalized down tube (I'm not sure about 2003). The problem with tall oval down tubes is that they resist vertical flexing of the frame, which wrecks ride quality, and the major axis of the ovalized tube is oriented the wrong way to help ward off lateral flex at the bottom bracket. I think the 2006 Tuscany has kept a fairly large down tube but now it's properly ovalized in the proper directions.
Old 10-18-05, 07:05 PM
floralcitytd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with someone who has a 97 Tuscany. It has a 1" headtube.