Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 10:21 PM
andy e

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm honeymooning in monterey at the end of the month.. are there any good routes around there? (i'm sure there are..) or possibly a nice mup?
Old 06-10-09, 02:07 PM
blumsdc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a good ride yesterday. Woke up in the morning and the boys and I went for a ride. I put the 2 year old in the buggy and the 6 year old grabbed his bike. We rode from our house over to the Monon, about 3/4 of mile, and then into Broad Ripple. We stopped at the Broad Ripple Deli and ate some biscuits and gravy, yum. From there we went to the barber and then took the canal path down to Butler and then back to the house. All in all probably in the 5 mile range. Pretty good for the boy who just got his training wheels off about 1 week ago! It's going to be a great summer.
Old 06-10-09, 02:57 PM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
took the bus to my local hors catégorie climb.

A vitus 979 with a tripple!
Some quick facts - rode on a 32 on the front, 21 on the back ratio for most the climb, last time was a 39 front 25 back
I consumed 1/2 litre of coke, 1 litre of water and a snickers bar on the climb.
I didn't stop this time so I'm happy and didn't get passed too.
The Climb was fun, but the 50km's back to the bus station was painful
The 'Dauphine libre' races up ventoux tommrow and should be able to watch on youtube in the evening.
Old 06-10-09, 04:21 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by andy e
I'm honeymooning in monterey at the end of the month.. are there any good routes around there? (i'm sure there are..) or possibly a nice mup?
Congratulations, enjoy your honeymoon.

Great pictures prettyshady, that view is worth it.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-10-09, 06:12 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prettyshady
Looking at this turn, I can just hear the tires straining to keep traction on the black top surface. I'm going down hill,... fast. I am working to ensure the tires stay in contact with the road. Lean in, push the bar end out, push down on the pedal, look where you want to go,... keep the bike upright... Okay, I made it. That was GREAT!
Old 06-11-09, 03:51 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by prettyshady
A vitus 979 with a tripple!
Some quick facts - rode on a 32 on the front, 21 on the back ratio for most the climb, last time was a 39 front 25 back
I consumed 1/2 litre of coke, 1 litre of water and a snickers bar on the climb.
I didn't stop this time so I'm happy and didn't get passed too.
The Climb was fun, but the 50km's back to the bus station was painful
The 'Dauphine libre' races up ventoux tommrow and should be able to watch on youtube in the evening.
1/2 litre of coke and a snickers bar??? How very American of you! haha
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-12-09, 02:47 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Took my rigid steel rig out for some road and trail time this afternoon. Todays destination: Williams Lake in Rosendale, NY.

For those not familiar with the area, cement was discovered in High Falls, NY just a few miles down the road. With the discovery of cement, our areas bluestone quarry operations fell into the past and cement enjoyed a short boom. Rosendale cement is the only cement that could cure under water (so I hear) and was used extensively in many national monuments/buildings. A small amount of it has started to be quarried again out so that these buildings can be restored properly.

Williams Lake has been a destination resort for many many years; a local cornerstone. It's terrain is unlike any I have ever ridden, and is typically "off limits" except on race day and pre-ride days. With the purchase of the resort from a developer about 2 years ago, this may be the last year this race is held; The last time to ride this gem.

The landscape is riddled with old quarry chutes and cement kilns. The temperature change while riding on even the hottest days can be 30şF. The ridge above the resort gives a great view of the Catskill Mountains and the lake. I don't race, but I HAD to ride here today just to savor it. I had a great time with a couple few of my riding buddies.

After Sunday, the property is locked up again. Such a shame...it's only a 20 minute pedal from my front porch on fat mountain bike tires.

Old 06-13-09, 12:30 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gorgeous... But the last picture had me scared, my California instincts said "AHH! POISON OAKBIKE!"

Then I remembered you're probably somewhere where the green things are okay to touch...

That's a sweet place, I'm always sad when cool adventure spots get closed off...
Old 06-13-09, 08:00 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rode 38 miles from UCIrvine (CA) to Corona over some big climbs. Nothing like you veteran riders but big for me. Hit some 6%, 10% and a section of 12% grade climbs. Lowest gear, standing and only going 6mph.

Hit a personal record 44mph downhill, that's with brake drags and body-catching-air to try and keep the speed down!

All this on my recently built '86 Trek steel. It performed flawlessly and was rock steady on the downhills (my biggest worry).

It was a good day.

Last edited by thenomad; 06-13-09 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-13-09, 10:24 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Today Rich and I took a shot at a local organized ride, The Canyon Classic, which starts and finishes in the town of Patterson, Ca. This is a Central Valley town, and this time of the year it is usually dry and pretty warm. We had the intention of doing a variant of the ride - up and back to the top of Mt Hamilton, for a total of ~85 miles or so. Turns out, it was an overly-ambitious plan, and we we ran short of both the time and energy to be successful.

No worries, though - we still ended up with 60 miles and about 4400' of climbing, and the weather was unseasonably cool. It is not uncommon for temps in the inner canyons to hover close to or just over triple digits, but today I doubt if it went past 75-76 degrees. That bit of good fortune came as a bit of a cost though, with a rain squall and some random gusty wind here and there. Unsettled weather for the most part, but on the whole pleasant.

As usual, Rich and I had a very good time and enjoyed a fine ride in the California rural environment.

A few pics:

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 06-13-09 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-13-09, 10:35 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
How many hacked Colnago fixies at this address?

-Kurt

Old 06-14-09, 12:46 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today Rich and I took a shot at a local organized ride, The Canyon Classic, which starts and finishes in the town of Patterson, Ca. This is a Central Valley town, and this time of the year it is usually dry and pretty warm. We had the intention of doing a variant of the ride - up and back to the top of Mt Hamilton, for a total of ~85 miles or so. Turns out, it was an overly-ambitious plan, and we we ran short of both the time and energy to be successful.

No worries, though - we still ended up with 60 miles and about 4400' of climbing, and the weather was unseasonably cool. It is not uncommon for temps in the inner canyons to hover close to or just over triple digits, but today I doubt if it went past 75-76 degrees. That bit of good fortune came as a bit of a cost though, with a rain squall and some random gusty wind here and there. Unsettled weather for the most part, but on the whole pleasant.

As usual, Rich and I had a very good time and enjoyed a fine ride in the California rural environment.
I googled "patterson, CA," and it's way farther north than I.... Too bad. I was going to offer to ride with you guys sometime.

-Nick
Old 06-19-09, 12:29 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday, I rode over to the beach and then south to the Palos Verdes Peninsula and back. Today, I rode to work. Does that count?

The beach ride was on my (non-suspension) mountain bike - 21 speeds, moderate pressure balloon tires. The ride to work was on a criterium bike - 10 speeds, high pressure clinchers. Both bikes are MOST EXCELLENT! Both are fast. There is nothing wrong with either one. I've never ridden the mountain bike 100 miles but feel it could be used for such.
Old 06-19-09, 12:33 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far I rode to the bike shop and back to my BFs place. Rode my 1 month old hybrid in for her warranty tune-up and picked up the Miyata 912 after her bar retaping/seat adjustment. Rode the Miyata back to BFs place, trying to practice braking/gear shifting.
Old 06-19-09, 12:36 PM
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=bigbossman;9097564]Today Rich and I took a shot at a local organized ride, The Canyon Classic, which starts and finishes in the town of Patterson, Ca. This is a Central Valley town, and this time of the year it is usually dry and pretty warm. We had the intention of doing a variant of the ride - up and back to the top of Mt Hamilton, for a total of ~85 miles or so. Turns out, it was an overly-ambitious plan, and we we ran short of both the time and energy to be successful.

A few pics:

You guys always seem to ride in awesome areas! I gotta get to your area for a ride some time .
Old 06-20-09, 08:44 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Did the Native Planet Classic today, an event the cheerful and amicable organizer Jean-Philippe Soule
calls a Super Century. The Frenchman doesn't lie. Only about 80 riders or so showed up this morning for a
128 mile tour of some 10500' of up and down. The route goes over the North Cascades Mountains from
east to west and then turns around and goes back again. Needless to say it was a rather strenuous trip.
8h 15m in the saddle, 9h 40m total.
The event was smoothly run with experienced crew, good food and a well marked route. Recommended.
Also hooked up with BF member BengeBoy (his report)who inspired me to do the ride the evening before!

Early morning 6am heading towards the mountains on the only stretch of road that didn't either radically
ascend or descend.

At the top of Washington Pass. Cold, misty and spectacular scenery.

Lots of mountain riding. Here on the 30 mile descent into Colonial Creek

The turnaround pit stop at 64 miles way down the other side. The food provided by the Native Planet
folks was excellent and varied. My 81 Gazelle was again the only lugged steel bike around.

Nearing the end of the last climb. The strain is showing..

Last edited by jan nikolajsen; 06-21-09 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-21-09, 12:59 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Saturday, Markopolo and I took a quick spin up Mt Diablo. The weather was interesting - it was cool and windy on the valley floor where I live so we grabbed a set of arm warmers for the eventual descent, figuring it would be even windier and cooler up top.

We took off, and made the 9 mile ride from my house to the base quickly, and then began the ascent. Interestingly, the wind was much calmer as we ascended - I guess we were sheltered by the slopes. Mark is a better climber than me, so I soon lost site of him. No matter, there's only one way up to the top and I would see him soon enough.

11 miles, 2 hours, 3 water bottles, and a few rest-stops later, I joined him at the summit. There was a lot of haze in the air because of the windy conditions so the view wasn't as spectacular as usual, but it was still pretty nice.

After enjoying some time at the top we headed back down, on the way enjoying an 11 mile challenging descent followed by 4-5 miles of gentle -1/-2 degree cruising into town and lunch.

The road up:

Looking down, 2/3 of the way up:

From the top, looking north:

Proof:

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 06-21-09 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-21-09, 01:37 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Saturday, Markopolo and I took a quick spin up Mt Diablo. The weather was interesting - it was cool and windy on the valley floor where I live so we grabbed a set of arm warmers for the eventual descent, figuring it would be even windier and cooler up top.

We took off, and made the 9 mile ride from my house to the base quickly, and then began the ascent. Interestingly, the wind was much calmer as we ascended - I guess we were sheltered by the slopes. Mark is a better climber than me, so I soon lost site of him. No matter, there's only one way up to the top and I would see him soon enough.

11 miles, 2 hours, 3 water bottles, and a few rest-stops later, I joined him at the summit. There was a lot of haze in the air because of the windy conditions so the view wasn't as spectacular as usual, but it was still pretty nice.

After enjoying some time at the top we headed back down, on the way enjoying a 11 mile challenging descent followed by 4-5 miles gentle -1/-2 degree cruising into town and lunch.
I love that kind of riding. At my in-laws in SoCal there's miles and miles of such steep, low traffic, curvy delight. Most be a California thing.
Old 06-21-09, 02:02 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by andy e
Hey Andy,

There is the recreation trail that runs around Monterey Bay from Marina through Monterey (past the wharf, Cannery Row, and the Aquarium, to Pacific Grove, Lover's Point Park (see BBM's photo 1st photo up thread) and around the peninsula past the Pt. Pinos Lighthouse, then to Pebble Beach.

The trail through Monterey is a MUP, but through Pacific grove its designated a bike path--doesn't stop the tourists, or locals for that matter, from taking the lane though. Past Lover's Point to Pebble beach its just bike lanes on the road, no major hills, just a few rollers. Nice views of the bay throughout. Congrat's on tying the knot!

stan
Old 06-21-09, 06:15 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got out with my sister on the Rail Trail today.

It was nice to catch up with her a little bit.

She was riding the Giant Simple Single that I got for free off of CL for her, and I was on my beautiful 51 Rudge.

Kevin
Old 06-21-09, 08:14 PM
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went riding from downtown San Jose to a Los Gatos park for a friend's birthday BBQ. Awesome ride, good folks, and delicious food

Old 06-21-09, 09:18 PM
MarkoPolo
I'm your huckleberry...

Bikes: 90's Tommasini Prestige, 2004 Seven Alaris, 2005 Trek Pilot 2.1;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Proof:
I really was there with him, but can't show proof as Bigbossman won't let my non-steel Trek anywhere near his Cinelli. I should have brought the Tommasini, but it's missing an essential component for an 11 mile climb... a 3rd chainwheel.

It is a beautiful climb though with fantastic vistas just about all the way up. The views are still there on the way down, but the descent has enough tight corners that attention must be paid.

MarkoPolo
Old 06-21-09, 09:43 PM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

A few pics:

Wow...that's a lot of brown.
Old 06-25-09, 10:18 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I hit the Sunset Drive loop in Redlands, CA this morning. I was on a time schedule so only did 24 miles total
with 6 or so miles of climbing according to the map.

Nice weather, nice views, quiet and thoughtful. Good way to start the day.

(I still have to tape the bars but I have a carbon front fork to go on before that.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image001.jpg (98.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-25-09, 05:10 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
I'm going to ride Bikingshearer's Nicasio ride Saturday, inticed by BBM's pictures. I'll post anything that looks as nice as those pictures.

Last edited by curbtender; 06-27-09 at 08:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.