Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Choosing a Brooks Saddle for my Brompton

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 02:20 PM
Wild Turkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've ended up working in London for the next four months and brought my Brompton over with me. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have bought another one over here because the deals to be had on used Brommies are amazing. Anyway, I've decided to do something VERY nice for myself and have settled on swapping out my seat for a Brooks.

My options are as follows:

Brooks/Vans Team Pro:

https://nccyclery.wordpress.com/category/brooks-saddles/

B17 Ti:

https://www.brookssaddles.com/en/Shop...d=B17+Titanium

Swallow Ti:

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/com...=froogle#36272

I have a black M3L and want to add a black seat.

The Swallow is the lightest option and the silver colored rivets seem well suited to the bike. Also the thin nose seems like it would be a good carry handle when lifting the bike. Just not sure that it's a good fit with the more upright riding position of the M handlebars.

Which leads to the B17 which would seem to be the most logical choice since that's what Brompton offers as their standard alternative seat. The titanium makes it a little lighter than the standard B17 so I save a little weight but it's not as flashy as the Swallow.

But if flash is the determining factor, is anything better than the heaviest option: the limited edition Team Pro. I was surprised to even see one of these still on the shelf. The tooled leather has a western style that twins interestingly with the Britishness of the bike.

So what do you think? I'm particularly interested in whether anyone can comment on the way the different saddles might ride on a Brompton. I have a fairly lean build, 175lbs on a 6 ft. frame. I'm tending toward the Swallow but I'm certainly not a racer.

In addition to my daily commute (3 miles each way) I'm hoping to do some longer weekend riding in the country and then possibly take the bike on an international tour later in the year.

Thanks for any help.

-Mike
Old 05-11-11, 03:17 PM
bendembroski
My legs hurt

Bikes: Vaya, Brompton, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, Cresswell Fold-it, '81 Trek 610

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With Brooks saddles it seems that one of the more important determining factors in choosing the right saddle is the height of the handlebars compared to the height of the saddle. If the bars are below the saddle, you'll probably want something more narrow than a B17. If the bars are at or just above saddle height, then a something like the B17 is probably a better bet.

Lots of probably's in that paragraph. For good reason. The advice might not be right for you. It's what what works for me though, and seems to be conventional wisdom.

One other thing to consider is that Brooks have notoriously short rails. It might make the cockpit a bit more cramped for you if you tend to have your saddle back as far as possible.
Old 05-12-11, 12:14 AM
elzy0000

Bikes: '10 Brompton M6R, '11 Felt F5, '13 BMC Team Machine, '14 Cinelli Vigorelli, '15 Colnago V1-R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for the B17 ti... and some matching Brooks grips.
Old 05-12-11, 12:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
its more of a communication with your backside, and the saddle , than Us..

but the B17 is a common option , as you say, Brompton offers themselves ,
but lower on the pricepoint than the titanium frame..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-12-11 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-15-11, 08:40 AM
Wild Turkey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chose this...

but it was attached to this:

Couldn't help myself. Something of a dream bike at about half price. And my employer will ship it back to the states for me at the end of my work here. Might have been even more desirable as a 2 speed but appreciated the extra gear on Hampstead Heath this AM.

-Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2371.jpg (101.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2385.jpg (100.8 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Wild Turkey; 05-15-11 at 08:49 AM. Reason: messed up
Old 05-15-11, 08:54 AM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One caution on the Brooks/Bromptons combo for a 6 footer. I am 6 feet, had a Brooks on my M6L. What I found was that due to the shortness of the cockpit, my butt kept sliding towards the rear of the saddle, and I ended up sitting on the rear metal frame of the B17 saddle most of the time. Defeated the whole point of the lovely Brooks leather sling. This can be overcome if you get the saddle adapter to increase cockpit length, thus positioning your posterior better on the saddle.

Also, as a tall person with an M model, you'll be sitting upright, so I would not suggest the narrower models. The old B17 variety will be more comfortable.

Last edited by SesameCrunch; 05-15-11 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-15-11, 09:25 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Sort of on topic...

Has anyone every tried a Flyer on the Brompton? FWIW I will be rolling a P6R with the extra long seat post. I am 6'-2" with long legs and arms, but short cockpits typically don't bother me, I am used to them on my Raleigh Sports/Superbe.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-15-11, 12:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I use a steel extended seat post, and the saddle adapter pin,
pointed back ,
to get set-back, take weight off my hands , it also gives a bit more seat to bars distance..

FWIW, Selle Anatomica's leather saddles have a long rail adjustment length, ..
but I don't think they are B17 like in width.
Old 05-15-11, 03:59 PM
ddez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Sort of on topic...

Has anyone every tried a Flyer on the Brompton? FWIW I will be rolling a P6R with the extra long seat post. I am 6'-2" with long legs and arms, but short cockpits typically don't bother me, I am used to them on my Raleigh Sports/Superbe.

Aaron
Ive tried my Flyer on mine. Way to much bouncing going on with springs and rubber suspension for me. Put my B-17 back on.