Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brooks for my Brompton

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brooks for my Brompton

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 09:41 PM
Purpleorchid

Bikes: Brompton H6L raw lacquer (2012)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks for my Brompton

Well after weeks of researching and reading several forums about Brooks saddles, I decided to at least try one out. So today as I passed a LBS, I popped in to see what selection they had. They had a Brooks B17 in antique brown that I liked on the internet. In person, just as pretty. I bought it and installed it on my raw lacquer Brompton H6L.

Despite being really hard to the touch (at this point I was still skeptical about the instant difference people talked about), I went for a quick test ride around the neighborhood.

Wow, quite a difference over the stock Brompton saddle! Everything people said is true. There is no more compression pain I felt with the stock saddle. I think I got my initial installation in the correct ballpark...future rides will help dial in the positioning.

Right now the only issue is the slipperiness of the new leather, but comfort wise, two thumbs up! I have 30 days to return the saddle, so we'll see what the next few weeks bring.

Excited to do another ride tomorrow!
Old 05-11-12, 12:23 AM
jerrysimon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is mine

I decided to pay a little more for the one with copper rails and big rivets

I took a while deciding to get one as well but am so glad I did though. Was delivered by Santa and took about 2-300 miles to wear in. I have given it about three treatments of proofide, the first one included a good coating under the saddle. As stated they are lovely to ride once bedded in and I too found the stock saddle uncomfortable after a year or so. I am up to 3500miles on my Brompton from new in late 2009.

I now have a brand new M3L-X and plan to move this saddle across. I may then get a standard black B17 for this bike. There is a slight weight penalty over the Brompton one unless you want to get the Ti Brooks saddle!

Regards

Jerry

Last edited by jerrysimon; 05-11-12 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-11-12, 08:21 AM
Purpleorchid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! Ideally, I wanted a "Special" edition too because they look the best aesthetically, but I decided to go a little more demure with the seat look by going the antique brown and black rails way. My ultimate saddle would have been antique brown with copper rivets and black rails, but I don't think I saw any online. I already have lots of "bling" on my bike from all the brazing!
Old 05-11-12, 11:42 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Brooks saddle is amazing! I too was skeptical at first, but love it. Nothing beats quality!
Old 05-11-12, 12:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
B-spoke list offers them on new orders, but now you have done the same thing.

the Italian Buy-out of Brooks , got them fashionable again.
I have 3 older Brooks Pro's , a black-brown dye was all they did, then.
Old 05-11-12, 12:57 PM
Purpleorchid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, my bike was an off the LBS floor purchase, not a b-spoke. But in hindsight, if I did a b-spoke order, I probably would have gone down the same route: order a Brompton with the stock seat and bought a Brooks after the fact. But if I ever buy another Brompton again, it will have a Brooks from the get-go.
Old 05-12-12, 08:35 AM
garethzbarker

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered a bike friday pocket rocket that should be in soon (which has me lurking here). I tried a bunch of different saddles at a biking event this morning b/c my new bike will need a saddle. I've been riding Brooks saddles on my bikes for a couple of years; I even have one on my carbon bike. I was kind of hoping I cold find something light weight and sleek for my little folding racer. But everything feels horrible now. I guess I'm addicted to Brooks... I can't find anything close to the comfort. +1 to brooks for making a great saddle but -1 for charging 300+$ for the lighter ones.
Old 05-12-12, 08:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Pro I got 30 years ago is still fine .. though I have a Fizik Vitesse
saddle on the bike I ride daily, and lock up, outside in the rain, to ride home on..
Old 05-12-12, 09:57 AM
Purpleorchid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garethzbarker
+1 to brooks for making a great saddle but -1 for charging 300+$ for the lighter ones.
Well considering that my titanium wedding bands cost $85, $225 (but this has small diamonds, so doesn't count), and $180 for as much titanium that is in ~3cm worth of a Brooks titanium rail...the $200 premium seems quite reasonable.

Three wedding bands you say??? Well, I am a woman and you know the saying about women and jewelry...but have a geeky/techy side too...so why not mix the two? My latest titanium ring has a pattern cut through the titanium band. Quite cool!

Anyway...typing that rationale about the titanium Brooks pricing, makes me want the titanium saddle now too, LOL! I'm not sure my husband will be as accommodating about me getting a titanium saddle though.
Old 05-18-12, 06:44 AM
airwulf

Bikes: Brompton H6L, DT Mini, DT 9FS, Dahon Ciao P8, Dahon Classic 3(x2), Dahon TR, R20, Raleigh Chopper III, Auto Mini Jr., Mercier Nano, Giant Anyroad2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just replaced my saddle yesterday with Brooks B17 Imperial (black with chrome rails) and will test it this weekend. It really looks great like my B17 Special does on my Raleigh 20.

I recently installed Ergon GP1 grips (small grip shift version) and they really make a difference in hand comfort especially on longer rides.
Old 05-18-12, 09:19 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Purpleorchid
... Wow, quite a difference over the stock Brompton saddle! Everything people said is true. There is no more compression pain I felt with the stock saddle. I think I got my initial installation in the correct ballpark...future rides will help dial in the positioning...
If it feels that good to you this early in the game just wait until it breaks in!