Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Beware, iPod zombie cyclists are on the rise

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Beware, iPod zombie cyclists are on the rise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-14, 11:37 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Listening to books, radio broadcasts or music while cycling is not recommended for those who have difficulty simultaneously chewing gum and riding, or have other similar difficulties.
Unfortunately it sometimes seems that those who are uncoordinated and/or have poor situational awareness are most often the ones wearing earphones.

Wearing them is in a way like DUI, the more often one does it the better they are at compensating for their diminished capacity, but their capacity is still diminished.
If a person is following the rules of the road it really isnt that big of a deal because their behavior is still relatively predictable. The problem is those who wear them, and also don't obey the rules of the road or meander aimlessly on MUTs, their diminished capacity, the inability of others to communicate with them, and their random behavior does indeed make them a problem.

I'm not really a "there-aught-to-be-a-law" type, but if they banned earphones on roads and MUTs by all users I wouldn't complain.
Old 07-21-14, 12:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I'm not really a "there-aught-to-be-a-law" type, but if they banned earphones on roads and MUTs by all users I wouldn't complain.
If "they" banned all bicyclists who dress or looked like they were entered in the TdF from the roads and MUTs would you complain? After all, some of them ride like jackasses.
Old 07-21-14, 11:29 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If "they" banned all bicyclists who dress or looked like they were entered in the TdF from the roads and MUTs would you complain? After all, some of them ride like jackasses.
I don't see the connection between the two, dressing up in racer costume doesn't inhibit the ability of the wearer to perceive their environment.
Old 07-21-14, 01:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
I don't see the connection between the two, dressing up in racer costume doesn't inhibit the ability of the wearer to perceive their environment.
Maybe not, but unfortunately it sometimes seems that those who act like jackasses as they train on the MUP/roads and/or have poor situational awareness of others on same are most often the ones wearing racer costume. Sound familiar?

Unfortunately it sometimes seems that those who are uncoordinated and/or have poor situational awareness are most often the ones wearing earphones.
Old 07-21-14, 03:29 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Maybe not, but unfortunately it sometimes seems that those who act like jackasses as they train on the MUP/roads and/or have poor situational awareness of others on same are most often the ones wearing racer costume. Sound familiar?
It's been my personal experience that "racers" in training types are rude and goal oriented without consideration for others but typically maintain control and direction. The same can't be said for those who walk, run, or cycle in their own little isolated world without consistent behavior.
Old 07-22-14, 11:22 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with everything you posted except this,

It doesn't matter how or what another road user does, we always have the obligation to do whats safest for all parties involved.
But if you're being overtaken, and the overtaking vehicle gives proper notice, your obligation goes beyond that general duty -- you're required to give way to the right, and not move left until the overtaking vehicle has passed.

If you're riding along and there's an obstacle in your way, if there's no oncoming traffic, you can veer left around the obstacle.

In the same situation, however, if someone behind you has signaled that they're passing, you're *not* allowed to veer left to avoid the obstacle. That's a special duty to facilitate the pass, which goes beyond your general duty of care.
Old 07-22-14, 11:54 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jputnam
But if you're being overtaken, and the overtaking vehicle gives proper notice, your obligation goes beyond that general duty -- you're required to give way to the right, and not move left until the overtaking vehicle has passed.

If you're riding along and there's an obstacle in your way, if there's no oncoming traffic, you can veer left around the obstacle.
I was driving on a local freeway one day when traffic in my lane came to a standstill. The adjoining lane had a different destination and was still zipping along at 60+ mph. When the driver directly in front of me saw that there was 'an obstacle in the way', i.e. all the stopped traffic, he did an abrupt lane change (veer) without checking for traffic from behind. Needless to say, the passing traffic was unable to instantly drop their speed and there was a collision. The police conclusion, with which I agree, was that the driver in front of me did have a duty 'to facilitate the pass' of the traffic in the next lane and should not have changed lanes without checking behind despite there having been no audible signal of the intent to pass. And given that cars were passing us every few seconds I hate to think of the racket that would be created if every one of them felt a need to signal an impending pass by blowing their horn - a racket that would not have contributed to safety in any way.
Old 07-23-14, 08:32 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I hate to think of the racket that would be created if every one of them felt a need to signal an impending pass by blowing their horn - a racket that would not have contributed to safety in any way.
Typically the requirement for an audible signal is only when on 2 lane roads.
Old 07-23-14, 12:02 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
No, your not blessed, you're just really inconsiderate of others that you share the road with.
isnt it more inconsiderate to make that assumption based on.. well nothing?

Listening to books, radio broadcasts or music while cycling is not recommended for those who have difficulty simultaneously chewing gum and riding, or have other similar difficulties.
Old 07-23-14, 12:28 PM
italktocats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever try to warn another rider with headphones that you are coming up behind them quickly? Ever try to audibly signal one that you are trying to pass them as they are weaving all over the place? Ever reach a four way stop with inattentive cyclists with headphones who don't notice you and can't hear you? All of those things are inconsiderate in busy cycling thoroughfares.
do you blast your horn overtaking cars on the freeway? or is this some special rule just for cyclists, and only cyclists?

in reality, i can hear my tires on the road, im sure i can hear your ego all the far from here...
Old 07-23-14, 12:30 PM
italktocats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you realize that a lot of people ride in the middle of the cycle path, and some even weave all over the place? Do you realize that many cyclists fly down the sidewalk, headphones blearing and can't hear doors open or pedestrians trying to communicate with them? I frequently encounter these situations, and where I live it's a huge problem and the subject of public debate. Just because you are a cyclist doesn't mean that other cyclists don't ride like idiots.
even IF so, so what? or do you posses a certain device that creates a magical reality for all of us based on your assumptions?
Old 07-23-14, 12:32 PM
italktocats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You pedantic types in A&S are a hoot! I answered your questions, yet you simply ignore my response and ankel bite.

A question for you; do you frequently cycle on roads or cycle paths full of other cyclists using headphones?

As for the way I'd like people to cycle, there are actually laws governing cycling where I live, and a license is needed. If you want the same rights as a car, then accept the same responsibility.
yes, and not a single **** was given about the headphones

you dont have the same rights as a car, cars dont have rights; cyclists do.
Old 07-23-14, 12:35 PM
italktocats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you signal to someone who can't hear you?

Sorry for the lack of post quote. Lousy mobile version won't let me quote.
how do you signal to someone thats in front of you, aka CANNOT SEE YOU

what is this magical way of cycling that ive never experienced

lemme just picture how this goes

X is cycling along

Y is creeping up X

suddenly Y screams HEYA MATE IM BEHIND YOU

X panics and starts pedalling faster and faster, trying to get rid of this creeper

now Y is speeding up too, to overtake X

Old 07-23-14, 12:41 PM
italktocats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya mean the licensing requirement has no effect on the willy nilly cycling behavior of cyclists?
you should have seem em witouth the license
Old 07-24-14, 12:26 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by italktocats
how do you signal to someone thats in front of you, aka CANNOT SEE YOU

what is this magical way of cycling that ive never experienced

lemme just picture how this goes

X is cycling along

Y is creeping up X

suddenly Y screams HEYA MATE IM BEHIND YOU

X panics and starts pedalling faster and faster, trying to get rid of this creeper

now Y is speeding up too, to overtake X

Socially adjusted people generally just ring their bell. Likewise, the socially adjusted people in front of them move over a bit to let them pass. If, of course, they can actually hear them.....
Old 07-24-14, 11:40 AM
italktocats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Socially adjusted people generally just ring their bell. Likewise, the socially adjusted people in front of them move over a bit to let them pass. If, of course, they can actually hear them.....
so why are these so called social people riding the **** in front of me, preventing me to pass?

is that social accepted in latvia?!

i rather be a social ****** (wich by your definition i already was, so care..) and ride on the right side so anyone faster (yeah right! ) can pass
Old 07-24-14, 03:23 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On narrow cycle roads it can be difficult to pass if someone is weaving or riding in the center of the lane. A quick ring of a bell solves the problem. Simple problems, simple solutions. Being aware of those around you when in public is basic stuff.
Old 07-25-14, 02:15 PM
italktocats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On narrow cycle roads it can be difficult to pass if someone is weaving or riding in the center of the lane. A quick ring of a bell solves the problem. Simple problems, simple solutions. Being aware of those around you when in public is basic stuff.
are those smaller than in amsterdam?
Old 07-25-14, 03:24 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Having no bell, and on occasion riding wearing ear phones, I guess I am not socially adjusted. Suppose Ziemas would like to send me to a re-eduaction camp for a few decades?
Old 07-25-14, 03:55 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
FWIW I ride sometimes with an earbud, sometimes with two, usually without, and there is no impairment whatsoever. My awareness is not impacted. On those occasions where I am passed, I am aware of them before they alert me, and it makes no difference whether they do or do not alert me.

I ding my bell at pedestrians and other cyclists prior to passing them. I see it as a courtesy however, and it doesn't seem to have an appreciable impact on my safety either way. I don't really care if the guy with his head wired hears me or not - if it doesn't bother him, I'm fine with it.

It just seems like everything goes more smoothly when we stop worrying about how other people do things.
Old 07-25-14, 04:13 PM
italktocats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Having no bell, and on occasion riding wearing ear phones, I guess I am not socially adjusted. Suppose Ziemas would like to send me to a re-eduaction camp for a few decades?
or makes you work for a gossip magazine
Old 07-25-14, 06:13 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
FWIW I ride sometimes with an earbud, sometimes with two, usually without, and there is no impairment whatsoever.
Most folks believe that of themselves, but several years ago I did a professional drivers safety course and some of the simulator exercises were to demonstrate how much seemingly benign distractions can diminish ones perceptions.
Its an eye opener when demonstrated in an empirical way.
Old 07-25-14, 06:28 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Most folks believe that of themselves, but several years ago I did a professional drivers safety course and some of the simulator exercises were to demonstrate how much seemingly benign distractions can diminish ones perceptions.
Its an eye opener when demonstrated in an empirical way.
I am one of those who can concentrate in any environment. That's the point: you can't know anyone's capabilities from generalizations. Basing our reactions on similarly inappropriate generalizations - rather than observation - is a lapse in judgement. I'd rather someone be oblivious than exercise bad judgment.

Better policy is to mind our own business. Be cautious if someone's profile triggers a stereotype, but it's fruitless and counterproductive to try to alter that person's behavior, especially if it's all based on generalities.
Old 07-25-14, 06:34 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Seems to me like riding a bicycle is nowhere near the complexity nor responsibility of driving a commercial vehicle or piloting an airplane, or rocket ship. So a professional drivers course in nice, but hardy needed nor exemplary for bicycling.
Old 07-25-14, 07:32 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I am one of those who can concentrate in any environment. That's the point: you can't know anyone's capabilities from generalizations. Basing our reactions on similarly inappropriate generalizations - rather than observation - is a lapse in judgement. I'd rather someone be oblivious than exercise bad judgment.

Better policy is to mind our own business. Be cautious if someone's profile triggers a stereotype, but it's fruitless and counterproductive to try to alter that person's behavior, especially if it's all based on generalities.
That's the problem - you may think you're good by some personal metrics that you've define. Generalizations are there because we cannot get into one another's heads. People overestimate themselves ALL THE TIME. That's why accidents happen more often than they should.

So instead of following a universally agreed-upon definition, most asshat riders/drivers' response will more or less be in the realm of "I drive fine, it's the rest of the world that sucks". Almost every idiot driver is constantly justifying their actions - not by the law or common courtesy - but by some unseen, self-written code that no one else knows about.

Fact is, most of them are not out to kill others, but harbor the mentality that their driving/cycling is fine, and everyone else is wrong. So this 'illusion' only ends when they maim or kill someone.

For example, my dad tailgates - CONSTANTLY. At 60mph, he's less than 10 feet from the front car more often than not. In over 40 years of driving, he's never been in a major accident before - none involving injury or death - so his confidence level is obviously high. He believes as long as he can tell the traffic conditions ahead, there is no danger of an accident. Of course, that ignores the low chance a stray animal might jump out of the bushes and cause the front car to slam their brakes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.