Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cable Locks That Can Deter Casual Thief

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-14, 09:28 AM
rooibos1986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I know that no lock is going to stop a determined thief. I had one bike stolen recently and got a less expensive replacement. The lock on the one that was stolen was not good. OK, it was really bad. But it actually worked for years. Then I chained it up under a pier on the beach next to a hoard of druggies. Came back and it was gone.

So I am not a competitive cyclist. My bike is more the solution to SoCal parking problems and so I can get around. I have to leave it chained up - usually for no more than a few hours at most. Aside from being more selective about where I chain it up at, I want to get a better lock. Looked at the U-locks out there - but they are huge, and to use it would make the convenience of a bike almost not worth it. Is there a good cable lock anyone can recommend that will make it so the thief can't just walk casually up with a pair clippers and take the bike? Something that will at least require them to make a bit of noise as they attempt to steal it? The bike that was lost was actually chained up in an area with hundreds and hundreds of people passing every hour - at minimum.

Thanks,
Old 08-23-14, 09:43 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not one that you can easily carry. Check out the Abus Bordo or something similar as they can be mounted on bottle cage mounts.
Old 08-23-14, 10:11 AM
Pibber

Bikes: cannondales 84 ST500; 87SR500; 95 CAAD 3 Silk Road 500; 99 CAAD 3 Frameset(project)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, a cable lock will deter the casual thief. But if you really want to keep the bike, a u-lock is miles better. Or, if you're gonna puss out, deal with the crap parking.
Old 08-23-14, 10:56 AM
rooibos1986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think at this point, I'm going to get the best cable lock I can, parking in very public places, and put a note on my bike frame that says it's tracked by GPS, and that bike thieves will regret stealing this one Maybe a blinking red light too like car security systems.

Beyond that, I am beginning to agree with many on this forum that bike forums will deter the occasional thief, but that anyone remotely determined can just snip what you've got and take your bike.
Old 08-23-14, 11:01 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The smallest material that cannot be cut with Harbor Freight bolt cutters is 3/8" Grade 100 chain. My brother in law and I have tested this extensively. Forget any type of cable.

Incidentally, locks like this can be crushed and defeated in about 45 seconds:

Old 08-23-14, 11:10 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are dead set on a cable lock, something armoured like the Abus Steel-o-flex is the best you'll find. A friend of mine uses one and is happy with it. He's bike is a cheap beater, and there are plenty of more expensive bikes around with less secure locks to steal. That being said, they still can be cut rather easily.
Old 08-23-14, 11:21 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I used one of these Amazon.com: Kuat Bottle Lock (Black): Sports & Outdoors
Old 08-23-14, 12:17 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you have an expensive road bike - never ride it to commute to work! Buy a cheap hybrid or commuter bike that's not as desirable to thieves.

Anything that looks out of place will be gone in less time than it will take you to retrieve your bike. Not worth it. And no lock will deter a professional bike thief.
Old 08-23-14, 12:34 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
If you have an expensive road bike - never ride it to commute to work! Buy a cheap hybrid or commuter bike that's not as desirable to thieves.

Anything that looks out of place will be gone in less time than it will take you to retrieve your bike. Not worth it. And no lock will deter a professional bike thief.
If you chain your bike to the railing right outside of a busy building, will a thief pull out his grinder and start cutting?
Old 08-23-14, 01:00 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Most people don't know how to spot a thief. If you ride with a poseur bike into a high theft area, you might as well give any one your bike.

People need to exercise common sense.
Old 08-23-14, 01:14 PM
rooibos1986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
If you chain your bike to the railing right outside of a busy building, will a thief pull out his grinder and start cutting?
I know I chained my bike up on what is the equivalent of a busy city street. And was gone when I came back 45 minutes later. But, there were druggies under a bridge right there.