Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > News & Announcements > Recall Announcements
Reload this Page >

Uvex helmets (7 models, made in Germany)

Search
Notices

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 01:57 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Bicycle Helmets Recalled by UVEX Sports Due to Risk of Head Injury | CPSC.gov
Old 12-13-14, 11:54 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, popped up on my twitter feed. Crap. I think mines on the recall list and I really don't want to go through the fit-hassle of a new helmet. A quick search of their new helmets and reviews about fit are not promising.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 12-18-14, 06:50 AM
mesengeru

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has been anyone contacted by UVEX about the recall procedure? I sent an email Monday and still no answer...
Old 12-19-14, 10:05 AM
alexcf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[edit]

Ok, so I spoke to someone at the toll free number briefly. Name, phone, model number. Refund or replacement based on which model, but no more info than that. Have to fill out a form and send it back to find out more. Oddly, they didn't mention to not use the helmet anymore You'd think that would be kind of important.

Last edited by alexcf; 12-19-14 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-19-14, 10:37 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The UVEX phone support reps are swamped and are going to drop the ball... I talked to them not later than Monday, was promised an email with a form and instructions, didn't receive it. The guy I talked to was constantly on the phone, and hoped to be relieved enough to send his emails out in batches at the end of the day. Have patience and expect to contact them multiple times.

New game:

1 - go here Bicycle Helmets Recalled by UVEX Sports Due to Risk of Head Injury | CPSC.gov
2 - Follow these instructons: go online at Home *|* uvex sportsand click on “Recall” for more information.
3 - Clicking "Recall" AT Uvex sends you to #1 above.

FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Last edited by RoadTire; 12-19-14 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-05-15, 12:47 AM
oxymoroncyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
International reps are ignoring emails too. I have 2 helmets in the list. Getting annoyed with the lack of communication. Kindda feels like it's lip service.
Old 01-05-15, 05:35 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oxymoroncyclist
International reps are ignoring emails too. I have 2 helmets in the list. Getting annoyed with the lack of communication. Kindda feels like it's lip service.
I'm sure they have a backlog after the holidays. I just sent an email to the direct email of a customer service person I've dealt with before. I'll update if I get a response. It's possible that this is just a US recall and those of us outside the US are out of luck.
Old 01-05-15, 06:13 PM
alexcf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got an email update today that says they're working with UPS to set up a site where we can get a return label to send in the helmets, and it should be ready by the weekend. I'm in the US though, I don't know how they're handling international. They're still saying "replacement or refund". I kind of wonder how they'd issue a refund, they can't know how much we paid if we didn't buy them directly from Uvex.
Old 01-08-15, 07:37 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got an email from them Uvex, and EN1078 standard helmets aren't effected. The recall is only for the US.

Thank you for your e-mail and for taking care.
This recall is only concerning uvex bike helmets with the CPSC standard, which were sold in the United States.
The regular uvex bike helmets with EN1078 standard are not effected.
So please don't worry, this recall is irrelevant for all EN1078 uvex bike helmets.