Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Does anyone care about mobile access?

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 12:52 PM
Redflea

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX (2014)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read the sticky thread on why the forum has decided not to support Tapatalk, and have seen the paid Android mobile app in the Play store w/its very poor ratings (2.4 stars) and numerous comments on issues w/it, and as far as I can tell no update in years (last update June 2012).

Folks, it's 2015, and we live in a world of mobile devices...more mobile devices sell than any other "computer" every year. I'm looking for a bike forum to hang out in, and the lack of decent mobile access is surprising.

I know there are only 50 downloads of the app, but given the listed issues and lack of updates (and the fact that it's a paid app) I can see why it has stalled out.

Why not reboot the app w/some fixes for the issues, make it free, and promote it across the forums. The more eyes you have on your forum on more devices, the more posts/activity, the more ad views, the more the community grows, all for the better. Trying to make money off the app is hurting rather than helping. Make it free w/ads for regular users, free w/no ads for Elite members. More people will try it, you'll get more feedback, be able to resolve issues and in the end have a much better experience for your members.
Old 02-11-15, 02:19 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personally, I think the reason you don't have more people clamoring for it is because the newer-generation devices do a much better job of translating pages - especially when you use a modern mobile browser like Chrome, Safari or Firefox. That, combined with faster connections and customized content apps, has rendered customized mobile browsing like Tapatalk much less important.
Old 02-11-15, 02:58 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
You have the option of viewing this site in both "mobile" and "full site" modes/skins/styles.

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page, past your posting permissions, and you'll see a darker ribbon that has links on the right hand side and a drop down menu on the left that will allow you to switch from full to mobile.
Old 02-11-15, 04:28 PM
Redflea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
You have the option of viewing this site in both "mobile" and "full site" modes/skins/styles.

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page, past your posting permissions, and you'll see a darker ribbon that has links on the right hand side and a drop down menu on the left that will allow you to switch from full to mobile.
That is the most useful bit of information I've received in a month of Sundays. Thanks very much. Still would love Tapatalk support, but get it that that isn't coming.

Don't know if that settings info was provided to me and I missed it when I signed up, but would be helpful if the site detected browser agent and defaulted to mobile view.
Old 02-11-15, 04:33 PM
Redflea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
Personally, I think the reason you don't have more people clamoring for it is because the newer-generation devices do a much better job of translating pages - especially when you use a modern mobile browser like Chrome, Safari or Firefox. That, combined with faster connections and customized content apps, has rendered customized mobile browsing like Tapatalk much less important.
I've got an S4 running KitKat and using Chrome browser, very fast connection, but it is just not pretty or fun to use w/the normal view on this or most sites...mobile view (now that I know it's available as a manual switch-to option here) is very nicely done.

Overall, in my experience the speed and ease of use of Tapatalk (at least until the Tapatalk team recently screwed up their own app with some very ill-advised UI changes) to manage my forum activities is not matched by any browser experience, mobile view or otherwise. But I digress... Just glad to know now that there is a good mobile view available here - lots of nice smart people around here.
Old 02-12-15, 05:52 PM
Redflea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suggestion: Can we get this information (how to change to mobile view on mobile device) stickied in this forum? Maybe add this to the already stickied thread about Tapatalk?
Old 02-13-15, 11:24 AM
agenkin

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Salsa Vaya, Specialized AWOL

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know how it is for iOS users, but the Android app has fewer than 100 installs and less than 2.5 stars (out of five) rating, even though the app has been available for more than two years. I'm not going to even try it.

Somebody at Bike Forums who makes decisions needs to wake up and smell the coffee. The custom mobile app was not, and is not the right solution. Tapatalk is the de-facto standard for mobile forum access, please make the forums accessible through it.
Old 02-13-15, 03:00 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by agenkin
I don't know how it is for iOS users, but the Android app has fewer than 100 installs and less than 2.5 stars (out of five) rating, even though the app has been available for more than two years. I'm not going to even try it.

Somebody at Bike Forums who makes decisions needs to wake up and smell the coffee. The custom mobile app was not, and is not the right solution. Tapatalk is the de-facto standard for mobile forum access, please make the forums accessible through it.
Have you tried switching to the mobile view of the site (as explained up-thread)?
Originally Posted by Redflea
mobile view (now that I know it's available as a manual switch-to option here) is very nicely done.
Old 02-13-15, 10:01 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Redflea
Suggestion: Can we get this information (how to change to mobile view on mobile device) stickied in this forum? Maybe add this to the already stickied thread about Tapatalk?
Check out the OP of the Tapatalk sticky .

Figured it made sense to add the info to the OP rather than bury it at the tail end of the thread.
Old 02-26-15, 01:40 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can't reply with a quote on the mobile page. Like BF proper, it's full of technical problems.
Old 03-26-15, 07:27 PM
BrockLee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mobile version has problems; Notifications shows that I have notifications but won't actually THE NOTIFICATIONS when tapped. Please fix.
Old 03-29-15, 06:14 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrockLee
Mobile version has problems; Notifications shows that I have notifications but won't actually THE NOTIFICATIONS when tapped. Please fix.
That's just one of many problems with the mobile site. Internet Brands, the owner of BF, knows about but doesn't care about, fixing problems with the site. It's been this way since they bought BF.
Old 03-30-15, 05:31 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'm not sure what you all are talking about...People are using Tapatalk on The CABE and they have the same version of vB as we do. If I remember correctly the other forums I am on using this version also work with Tapatalk.

APPLES are a problem...
Old 03-30-15, 06:36 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I'm not sure what you all are talking about...People are using Tapatalk on The CABE and they have the same version of vB as we do. If I remember correctly the other forums I am on using this version also work with Tapatalk.

APPLES are a problem...
Internet Brands decided not to enable TapTalk on BF in hopes that people would buy the rubbish app they made for BF. It's not that the version of vBulletin isn't capable of supporting TapTalk, it's that Internet Brands doesn't want people to use it.

Last edited by Cyclist0383; 03-30-15 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 05:28 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I find that the mobile version takes much longer to load than the regular version (which really isn't how it ought to be).

I'm also don't understand why I get ads on the mobile version (I thought that's why I was paying money).