Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shipping A Bike To Europe - What's The Latest And Greatest Way?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-16, 09:56 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does anyone have any advice on shipping a complete bike from the US to Europe? The last time I did it was about 10 years ago via USPS and it was under $100. Now it's closer to $1000. There has to be a less expensive way. I'm not flying to Europe, so taking it on the plane isn't an option. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-16, 10:16 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Found this, not sure if any of it is relevant-

https://www.adventurecycling.org/res...ng-bike-cases/

So are you buying a bike sight unseen and shipping to Latvia, or is there a bike you already own in the US that you want to bring over?

Maybe you have a friend or relative that's flying your way and would be willing to bring it as a checked box? That would be cheaper than shipping if they're willing to help you out. Depending on the bike, maybe it's better to have someone sell it for you in the US and buy a new one through a UK retailer that will ship to Latvia?
Old 01-28-16, 12:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Have u looked at bikeflights.com which comes up as first hit on a Google search?
Old 01-28-16, 01:54 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Found this, not sure if any of it is relevant-

https://www.adventurecycling.org/res...ng-bike-cases/

So are you buying a bike sight unseen and shipping to Latvia, or is there a bike you already own in the US that you want to bring over?
Maybe you have a friend or relative that's flying your way and would be willing to bring it as a checked box? That would be cheaper than shipping if they're willing to help you out. Depending on the bike, maybe it's better to have someone sell it for you in the US and buy a new one through a UK retailer that will ship to Latvia?
Thanks. One of the guys at the LBS I go to found a bike he wants, and as he doesn't speak much English asked for my help in figuring out how to get it over here. They're great guys who don't really charge me much (my last full service - repacking hubs, truing wheels, etc - was a fiver) so I would like to help him as much as possible.
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Have u looked at bikeflights.com which comes up as first hit on a Google search?
Thanks. I've looked into that and other similar services. Over $800, which seams a bit steep.
Old 01-28-16, 02:29 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Thanks. One of the guys at the LBS I go to found a bike he wants, and as he doesn't speak much English asked for my help in figuring out how to get it over here. They're great guys who don't really charge me much (my last full service - repacking hubs, truing wheels, etc - was a fiver) so I would like to help him as much as possible.

Thanks. I've looked into that and other similar services. Over $800, which seams a bit steep.
I'd just call whatever LBS is near the bike your mechanic is looking at. Assuming it's a decent-sized shop, they've probably shipped bikes many times before, maybe not internationally, but they'd be able to give you an idea of the cheapest options in that area.
Old 01-29-16, 01:06 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it.
Old 01-29-16, 06:42 AM
yfoil954

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good morning! The last time i shipped a bike to Europe Fedex was the best. They have a part of the company that hardly anyone knows about. It is called GREAT RATES. Call 877-463-7408 to get information or try fedex.com website and look for great rates. When i shipped a bike to Germany it was about $425 USD and got there in 4 days. I hope this information still works and good luck....yfoil954
Old 01-29-16, 08:09 AM
thunderworks

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I shipped a bike to Germany a few years ago. I used two cartons, one for the frame (fork removed) and one for the wheels. Components were distributed between the cartons as necessary.

I used the USPS. It was far more reasonable than the other delivery services . . . Now that I think of it though, I think I might have shipped to an APO address . . . Different beast altogether.
Old 01-31-16, 04:16 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the help, folks. After crunching the numbers and speaking with the seller it seems that the best option is to simply fly to the US and bring it back on the plane.

Originally Posted by yfoil954
Good morning! The last time i shipped a bike to Europe Fedex was the best. They have a part of the company that hardly anyone knows about. It is called GREAT RATES. Call 877-463-7408 to get information or try fedex.com website and look for great rates. When i shipped a bike to Germany it was about $425 USD and got there in 4 days. I hope this information still works and good luck....yfoil954
Never heard of that service, but it looks like one to keep in mind for the future, thanks!
Old 01-31-16, 08:46 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW: On dense things, you pay by weight. With light big things, like a bike in a box, you pay based on size, sometimes referred to as dimensional weight, usually based on the length, width and height. A small change in dimensions can sometimes make a big difference in the shipping fee if it moves you between their categories.