Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

German Bike mirror from Rivendell

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 02:19 PM
littlefoot

Bikes: Many all steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got my mirror from Rivendell today here's some pics, sorry about the quality of the photos...my camera is a turd.https://flickr.com/photos/econnofoot/...7610662413277/

All in all I like it, maybe a little overpriced for what it is. Guess I'll really see tomorrow when I try it on the c'mute.
Old 12-04-08, 02:35 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Give us a review after your ride.
Old 12-04-08, 03:49 PM
Ned_Detroit

Bikes: 25 year old Specialized Allez with Mavic SSC groupe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like mine. As to whether it's overpriced: I haven't seen anything else that works as well, but I wished the euro was still at 80 cents when I bought it but I'll probably buy another one for my other bike even at its current pice.
Old 12-04-08, 04:15 PM
jconnwsu

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same mirror, but from Performance. Not sure what the cost difference is. It is my first mirror, and it has taken some getting used to having it. It was pretty much the only mirror that I could find that would work with bar-end shifters. It doesn't seem too fragile and stays in place really well. It has gotten a little foggy a couple of times, but not too bad. All in all I like it and am glad that I bought it.
Old 12-04-08, 04:42 PM
axelfox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jconnwsu
I have the same mirror, but from Performance. Not sure what the cost difference is. It is my first mirror, and it has taken some getting used to having it. It was pretty much the only mirror that I could find that would work with bar-end shifters. It doesn't seem too fragile and stays in place really well. It has gotten a little foggy a couple of times, but not too bad. All in all I like it and am glad that I bought it.
3 dollars more at Performance. https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=6700

I like mine though.
Old 12-05-08, 08:17 PM
littlefoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well here is my take after using it today. I have a pretty decent c'mute of about 7.5 miles some has bike lane most doesn't. Majority is 2 lane ea way, so I wanted to try a mirror as looking over my shoulder in traffic gets a tad hairy sometimes.

Once I got it dialed in I liked the field of view....I get a decent shot of the two lanes behind me. The mounting is more or less a hoseclamp type deal that requires some toying with to get set tight...this could be a bit better for the price imo. And this thing will be toast if you take a fall or have your bike fall over...not that I think this is gonna happen or at least hope not.

All in all yeah I like it, I don't think it's worth the 30 bucks I paid with shipping but considering the limited mirrors out there for bikes I can deal with it. It gets killed in a crash I'm not gonna run out to replace it with another.
Old 12-06-08, 09:31 AM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by axelfox
3 dollars more at Performance. https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=6700

I like mine though.
LOL - and here I was waiting for the standard "everything's a ripoff at Rivendell" comment.....
Old 12-06-08, 09:33 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
everything is a ripoff at rivendell.
Old 12-06-08, 06:56 PM
haningp

Bikes: Huffy Blackwater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one from Performance earlier this year. I attached mine so that it hung below the drops on my left side. It was pretty steady on my rides and provided a great wide angle view. The only downside I could think of was the wide angle view was so pronounced that by the time I saw a car in the mirror, it was only a few feet behind me. I guess you get use to that after awhile, just like side view mirrors on cars with wider angle views but I eventually took it off the bike and now wear a mirror on my glasses. It's just a personal preference I suppose but I feel much safer with the view the mirror on my glasses provides.
Old 12-07-08, 08:47 PM
Gil Elvgren
(1914-1980)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same experience as haninqp - I tried several different mount positions. I traffic was always on me before I saw them in the mirror. I really wanted a bar mounted mirror but I could not find one I liked, worked or mounted as I wanted it to. Finally went to a helmet mounted mirror which I found acceptable after getting use to it. I like how I can sweep the street behind me by moving my head, however, it did take a of time to get use to it.
Old 12-07-08, 10:36 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chinga linga. $25.00 seems pricey for a mirror.

Of course, you forget about the price of things after using it joyfully for a little while.

Let us know how it works. Looks like it is shaped right for you to see a semi coming up behind you.

Old 12-07-08, 11:15 PM
littlefoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GV27
LOL - and here I was waiting for the standard "everything's a ripoff at Rivendell" comment.....
I try and support Rivendell, by making at least one purchase from them a year, but I have to admit there really isn't anything that they sell that you can't get somewhere else and generally cheaper.
Old 12-08-08, 01:53 AM
Durward_Kirby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to support them and purchase one of their new Bombadils. I know, I know, I just can't help myself. When I get my next bike, that is the one I'm going to get.
Old 02-21-11, 10:36 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is an old thread, but I wanted to quickly post that I got the Rivendell German bike mirror for my bike (with North Road-ish handlebars) and the mirror is not really made for these types of handlebars. I tried to install it in several different positions and usually had a good view of my hands or my butt, but not the road. Now I have it installed actually hanging down, below the handlebars. I will do a longer ride tomorrow and see how it works or if I have a 'knee strike'.
Old 02-23-11, 03:06 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this mirror and I love it. It works great, overpriced? maybe but I looked for maybe 2 months before I found this. I rode my sister's bike home from the LBS and I found myself constantly looking down at the drops where it's mounted and being surprised to not see the reflection there. I recommend it. Maybe you can find it somewhere else for cheaper, but the product itself is awesome for drop bars. Gives me the confidence to ride on the busy blvd's around here! [of course, it's always good to actually look back before changing lanes but it's handy to look down and see more or less what's coming up behind you]
Old 02-24-11, 12:01 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I've been satisfied with a similar mirror from axiom the one that has the stretchy mount, though I wonder if it will ever give away... I have it tucked under my aero levers... works okay, but I'm wearing mittens and don't seem to notice it when bare-fingered.
Old 02-24-11, 03:09 AM
rsmillbern

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick CX Ultra, 2004 Giant NRX 1, 198? DeRosa ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been looking for a mirror, I might have to try one of these if I can find one...
I kinda like that the dollar is at 1.38€ = $1.00, as I am paid is euros :-)
Old 02-24-11, 09:51 AM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like it'd work great. It looks awful, but I guess that's the price of functionality.
Old 02-24-11, 10:17 AM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JPprivate
This is an old thread, but I wanted to quickly post that I got the Rivendell German bike mirror for my bike (with North Road-ish handlebars) and the mirror is not really made for these types of handlebars. I tried to install it in several different positions and usually had a good view of my hands or my butt, but not the road. Now I have it installed actually hanging down, below the handlebars. I will do a longer ride tomorrow and see how it works or if I have a 'knee strike'.
Yeah, so this is definitely a fail. I see a little to the side behind me, but this mirror is not meant for standard handle bars.
Old 02-28-11, 04:38 PM
rawly old

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Datajunkie,
Grant Petersen isn't a ripoff; he's an entrepeneur. He gives elitist snobs something
to brag about after tennis at the country club, and he only charges every cent that
that the market will bear. He' s a g.d. genius. Who else could take cheap cork
fishing pole handles, wrap a bit of string 'round the ends and sell 'em $200+ a pair as
custom handlebar grips.
Old 02-28-11, 04:45 PM
rawly old

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
P.S. In defense of the man, his era with Bridgestone bikes produced some of the best
bikes I ever ridden, and mechanically, he still builds a good machine.
Old 02-28-11, 07:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ortlieb USA is the distributor ,if your LBS has an account, see if they can get them.