Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Superflashes (and why 2 is always better than 1)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 11:59 PM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went out for a little 10 mile joy ride tonight to break in the studs on my ice bike a bit more. It was about 4 degree F windchill, so nothing too cold. On dismounting at the end of the ride, I noticed one of my superflashes was dead. I normally keep the one of the seatpost steady, and the one on my rack flashing. Thankfully, I didn't have much to worry about since my other light was still blinking.

My question is: Is it worth the extra battery drain to go one steady and one blinkie? I normally carry extra batteries anyway, so if I noticed a light was out, I could replace the batteries. I heard that a solid light is better at perceiving depth, so that's why I started running one solid in the first place.
Old 12-04-08, 12:12 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Scheherezade
I went out for a little 10 mile joy ride tonight to break in the studs on my ice bike a bit more. It was about 4 degree F windchill, so nothing too cold. On dismounting at the end of the ride, I noticed one of my superflashes was dead. I normally keep the one of the seatpost steady, and the one on my rack flashing. Thankfully, I didn't have much to worry about since my other light was still blinking.

My question is: Is it worth the extra battery drain to go one steady and one blinkie? I normally carry extra batteries anyway, so if I noticed a light was out, I could replace the batteries. I heard that a solid light is better at perceiving depth, so that's why I started running one solid in the first place.
I too run my seat post PB on steady mode for depth perception, and my pannier Serfas light on alternating mode for getting motorists' attention. It's always good to have a redundant light anyway as in cases like yours where a light goes dead, and tonight was no exception when my bike's main headlight battery went dead, necessitating the use of my secondary headlight.

Last edited by dynodonn; 12-04-08 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-04-08, 12:12 AM
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many hours do you get out of one on solid? I heard it is something like 100 hours on blink mode.
Old 12-04-08, 12:33 AM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Planet Bike says 20 hours on steady, but I've never tested it out.
Old 12-04-08, 12:38 AM
SeattleShaun
Team Fat Boy

Bikes: Bridgestone MB3 Commuter, Surly Long Haul Trucker, and Custom Ti roadbike by High Ti Cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also keep my seatpost butt light solid while leaving the one on the rack blinking. I use rechargeable batteries so I just pull them every couple of days and toss them in the recharger when I get home.
Old 12-04-08, 04:40 AM
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think if you have a decent front light, there is no need for a solid rear light, since a driver can fix onto the flood from your front light.
Old 12-04-08, 04:51 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had drivers tell me that it's hard to judge the distance of a blinking light.

As for your dead battery problem, just get some decent rechargeables (I prefer Eneloop) and charge them once a week.
Old 12-04-08, 06:14 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JinbaIttai
I think if you have a decent front light, there is no need for a solid rear light, since a driver can fix onto the flood from your front light.
Not really...in most cases the motor vehicle's lights will blot out any 'flood' from your front lights, from the driver's perspective. Get a tail light.

I usually run the PBSF on my seatpost/seatbag blinking and the one(s) on the rack/freeloader solid. In the summer when I ride the road or xcross bike to work and only have one rear light, I keep it on flash.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 12-04-08 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-04-08, 06:32 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I set my brightest light on full power solid, and my other light on flash. The purpose of the solid is so that they see me. The flash is to get their attention and so they notice that I'm a bike and not going as fast as they are.

I use rechargeables and make sure they get refreshed every other day.
Old 12-04-08, 07:57 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Redundancy is good. Redundancy is good. Redundancy is good.

I have two PBSF on my bike and red reflective sheets on the back of my bucket panniers (about 100 sq. in. each). The only way motorists can't see me at night is if their name is either Ray Charles or Helen Keller.
Old 12-04-08, 08:02 AM
geo8rge

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have a reflector on your bike the blinky only gives you a small improvement in visibility. If the driver does not see the reflector, it is not likely, but not impossible, that the blinky will catch their attention.
Old 12-04-08, 08:08 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Scheherezade

You have to love a balmy night in Siberia don't you?
Old 12-04-08, 08:27 AM
50000 Guatts of power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
I set my brightest light on full power solid, and my other light on flash. The purpose of the solid is so that they see me. The flash is to get their attention and so they notice that I'm a bike and not going as fast as they are.

I use rechargeables and make sure they get refreshed every other day.
I've been doing testing, and what counts is beeing seen well in advance, far up the road

a bright solid light is easier to see, and judge speed and direction, vs a blinking light

a blinking light affords too many intervals when a driver behind is scanning ahead and will not
see you because of the dead space between blinks. a solid light will always be seen. 40% of
the time a blinking light won't been seen in the type of quick scanning drivers do until more
closing distance is gained.

solid always trumps blink
Old 12-04-08, 08:31 AM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I've always thought that blinking jumps out more among a sea of red car tail lights. That's why I keep mine on blink. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise though.
Old 12-04-08, 09:30 AM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by apricissimus
I've always thought that blinking jumps out more among a sea of red car tail lights. That's why I keep mine on blink. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise though.
I agree. When driving and I come upon a cyclist with a blinking light, I find it significantly more noticable.
Old 12-04-08, 09:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1
a blinking light affords too many intervals when a driver behind is scanning ahead and will not see you because of the dead space between blinks. a solid light will always be seen. 40% of the time a blinking light won't been seen in the type of quick scanning drivers do until more

How sloooow is the rate of flashing on your lights? And just how quick do you think any driver would have to scan the road ahead in order to miss a blinking light in between the flash cycles? My guess is that your 40% statistic will peg a BS Meter.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-04-08 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-04-08, 09:51 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus
I can't speak so much for the tail lights, but my experience with bright flashing LED headlights tells me they work. I take an occasional before sunrise ride out through the rural areas of the county. I use a beam and a seperate flashing LED. My partner uses a bright beam only. When he is riding up front, oncoming cars pass without any indication that they saw us. When I am up front, most cars slow noticeably as they approach. The difference in motorist behavior is pronounced. There is a pre sunrise group that rides near where I work. Their flashing LED taillights are very noticeable. I can't recall any depth perception issues. The lights do their job in that they let me know something is there that I don't want to hit. If there is a depth perception issue, it is irrelevant to me as I have already altered speed and/or path well before I get to a point where a small depth perception issue could cause a problem.
Old 12-04-08, 02:25 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Not really...in most cases the motor vehicle's lights will blot out any 'flood' from your front lights, from the driver's perspective. Get a tail light.

I usually run the PBSF on my seatpost/seatbag blinking and the one(s) on the rack/freeloader solid. In the summer when I ride the road or xcross bike to work and only have one rear light, I keep it on flash.
But Chip ... with your hair so free-flowing ... research shows that you should have extra passing clearance and probably no need to have a blinky. In fact, you should have a front light mounted on a rear rack pointing at the back of your head.
Old 12-04-08, 02:37 PM
rbrian

Bikes: '07 Brompton S6L; '10 Brompton M6R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How sloooow is the rate of flashing on your lights? And just how quick do you think any driver would have to scan the road ahead in order to miss a blinking light in between the flash cycles? My guess is that your 40% statistic will peg a BS Meter.
I'm amazed... I agree with I-Like-To-Bike!

Unless you have more than one solid light, it doesn't help any with depth perception. It's just a one-dimensional point of light - is it a bicycle, a distant motorbike, or a red-shifted star 100 light years away? No way of knowing. If it's blinking, it's a bicycle.
Old 12-04-08, 02:38 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by geo8rge
If you have a reflector on your bike the blinky only gives you a small improvement in visibility. If the driver does not see the reflector, it is not likely, but not impossible, that the blinky will catch their attention.
Incorrect. Light must hit a reflector for it to reflect, the same is not true of a light. The improvement is as good as the light...I suspect you got wimpy blinkies.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-04-08, 02:41 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1
I've been doing testing, and what counts is beeing seen well in advance, far up the road

a bright solid light is easier to see, and judge speed and direction, vs a blinking light

a blinking light affords too many intervals when a driver behind is scanning ahead and will not
see you because of the dead space between blinks. a solid light will always be seen. 40% of
the time a blinking light won't been seen in the type of quick scanning drivers do until more

Where do you guys get this stuff. Have you ever actually driven behind the same bike, with the blinky in both modes to see which can be spotted further under varying conditions?

Riddle me this...what do you spot sooner on the highway...the taillights of other cars up the road, or the flashing emergency lights of a car up the road. By your logic, we shouldn't bother with flashing emergency lights

Blinking is better to get attention from a longer distance, solid is best as they get closer and must judge your speed and position.
Old 12-04-08, 02:43 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
Incorrect. Light must hit a reflector for it to reflect, the same is not true of a light. The improvement is as good as the light...I suspect you got wimpy blinkies.
Don't forget, if the light (or reflector) isn't aimed towards the driver's line of vision, it's almost useless. That's why I always check my lights (front, rear, and my DLGs) to make sure they're aimed properly. Ya can't get their attention if you ain't aiming right.
Old 12-04-08, 03:07 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Use at least 2 rear lights and remember that the cold will reduce the time the light will work (unless you can keep the batteries warm somehow).
Old 12-04-08, 03:09 PM
50000 Guatts of power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
well it is just me observing loads of craptacular cyclists with every shelf-bought blinkie known
to mankind, and also my own lights placed some distance down the road and me driving out back and forth and doing an actual study.

[my eyes are better than average btw...it isn't a vision problem with me.]

first off- bright is always good. bright blink is ok. weak blink sucks. weak solid sucks.
bright blink is hard to judge position and speed. bright solid is extremely easy to judge distance and
speed.

in a sea of traffic a blink stands out less than solid imho...if you are in a sea of traffic
then you just look out for yourself. the most ideal situation for a bike tail light is alone on
a long dark road with fast traffic. you def want bright solid for the best visibility.

anyhow I run a dinotte 140l on medium solid all the time every time I plan on riding road
at night it is without a doubt the best taillight for the combo of size, ease of use,
and visibility whether dodging idiots in the northend at 12:30am on a friday night or
climbing dark twisty narrow streets

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 12-04-08 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-04-08, 08:07 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Use at least 2 rear lights and remember that the cold will reduce the time the light will work (unless you can keep the batteries warm somehow).
I just use the Lithium Energizers in my blinkies...they last much better in the winter. So how cold is it in Honolulu today?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.