Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

More backpack advice wanted

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 11:54 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

First, to all of the mess bag lovers and pannier people, this about what I think is best for me (backpack). Decent mess bags are out of my budget, and I don't ride year 'round, so panniers would be a waste IMO.

I currently have two backpacks (Dakine, Ful) that have unfortunately, ceased to fulfill my needs. At the beginning of this semester, I bought these 'packs, w/no intention of hauling my laptop. But today, the last day before finals week, I needed to take my laptop to work so that I could do some homework in my downtime. Just have done that earlier in the semester!

So, now I need a little input, preferably from those w/experience with these two models:

-Banjo Brothers Large Waterproof. I have not seen this in person, and frankly it's main attraction for me, is the waterproofness. (I've seen the video that R.L.@bikecommuters.com did).
-Targus XL that I spotted at Best Buy. It's got just the right amount of organization w/o being so compartmentalized as to not be of any real use to me. Thing is designed somewhat (as far as I can tell) like a tri transition bag.

My work schedule and next semester's class schedule (and the bus ride between the two) greatly increases my time commitment, I'm lucky to get in a few miles in the saddle on the weekends (weather permitting). FTW, I picked my schedule to minimize the amount of books to lug around: one course M and W a.m., then one course each T, Th, and F evenings.

Any input would be appreciated, but know that budget isn't that great. $100 or less, preferably $ 75 or less.
Old 12-06-08, 01:22 AM
ryan.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not familiar with those models, but I can suggest the north face backpacks. I've been using one for the past year (toting books, laptop, lunch, etc) and it has held up extremely well. Searching sites such as altrec.com and backcountry.com will yield considerably lower prices then in sporting good stores (~$40-80).

Ryan
Old 12-06-08, 11:49 AM
PLyTheMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Dakine Terminal that works well.

https://www.usoutdoorstore.com/outlet...-backpack.html

I got it for ~$25 from Steep And Cheap or Whiskey Militia... It has a laptop pocket in the back that is nicely padded and is a beast at 2100 cu. in. I can carry my laptop, a book, and a change of clothes to school with me without too much trouble (though I don't because all that **** is freakin heavy). It's not waterproof but unless you're in a torrential downpour the laptop is burried enough that it should be good. My only complaint with it is a serious lack of loops on the back. I'd like someplace to clip my helmet to or a blinkie but the front is pretty smooth. The mesh waterbottle pocket though is pretty large so I can easily stuff my mittens/hat/facemask in there to grab if I get cold on a ride. The front pockets have smaller pockets inside for organizing stuff that I find handy.

Thats what I'm rocking now, probably getting some panniers though just to get some weight of my back.
Old 12-06-08, 01:43 PM
paulwwalters
beatz down lo|seatz up hi

Bikes: A 2007 Trek 4300. 22.5", 1981 Trek 610 24" (61cm)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Banjo Brothers Medium is what I have. You'll need a laptop sleeve to put in it. One of the best backpacks for the price, and would be great even were the price much higher.

I'd also recommend Timbuk2. They make backpacks, I was looking at one at my LBS today and honestly it's pretty cool. I believe they all have laptop compartments.
I don't think these are waterproof though.

If you want waterproof (though not necessarily laptop-specific):
Banjo Brothers
Chrome
Lemolo
Chicago Wig
ReLoad
Seagull

Laptop specific (but not necessarily waterproof):
Timbuk2
Targus
Booq
Old 12-06-08, 03:52 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
As a hiker, I can tell you to look for a sternum strap and a hip belt to distribute the weight off your shoulders and on to your body and hips (which are better suited to carrying loads). Also check for air flow between the pack and you. Just my two cents.
Old 12-06-08, 05:37 PM
paulwwalters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleyfrog
I can tell you to look for a sternum strap and a hip belt
Most definitely. And my Banjo Bros. pack is so much more secure than my Targus laptop bag... I didn't know what I was missing!
Old 12-06-08, 05:43 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan.
I'm not familiar with those models, but I can suggest the north face backpacks. I've been using one for the past year (toting books, laptop, lunch, etc) and it has held up extremely well. Searching sites such as altrec.com and backcountry.com will yield considerably lower prices then in sporting good stores (~$40-80).

Ryan
I have a North Face pack, with ample room, that has seen heavy use for twenty plus years. Alas, they don't make the model any longer; it was really just a super tough duffel bag with no zippers (except one for the small top pocket) and shoulder straps. This was from the days when all North Face made was serious mountaineering equipment.

At the time I bought it, I was going thru a pack every six months to a year. I went into a mountaineering shop and asked for something with as few zippers as possible and built like a tank. I paid a premium-- about twenty bucks more than the regular packs-- but if you average out the number of packs I was going thru and the lifespan of this thing, it was really quite cheap.

So my advice: as few zippers as possible and built like a tank.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 12-06-08, 06:37 PM
InfiniteRegress
Infinite Regress

Bikes: Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008), Jamis Aurora Cyclocross (2005), Trek WSD 2100 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used messenger bags for years and still use my Timbuk2 bag in the summer time when I don't have to carry around as much weight. However, some significant back issues arose as a result of scoliosis and some other issues and I was told that I had to be more careful about distributing the weight more evenly when biking - therefore meaning that a backpack was my best option. I use a North Face backpack and find that it works better than anything. You should really stick to a day pack of some sort because it's going to be lightweight AND have the adjustable strapping system that is a necessity if you're biking with it (sternum strap and hip belts are a must). My North Face bag (Recon model) also has a separate pouch for throwing in a laptop (which I do sometimes). My pack has proved to be extremely water proof, even during the heaviest of downpours. The outermost pocket in the front is great for stashing bike gloves and other items that you need to get to quickly. Hope this helps!
Old 12-06-08, 08:06 PM
paulwwalters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Banjo Brothers pack has 1 zipper, it's for a small outside pocket. The rest is velcro and buckles.
Old 12-07-08, 02:59 AM
steveknight

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why are panniers out because you don't ride year around? myself I think it sucks having a backpack on while riding. too hot and just does not feel good.
Old 12-07-08, 03:25 AM
Ken Wind
VOTE FOR KEN WIND

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard that Deuter makes excellent backpacks. Their day packs all have dedicated laptop compartments, and one of them even comes with a removable sleeve. You can purchase rain covers for their bags as well. They also make a series of backpacks designed for alpine bike touring, which go by the name TransAlpine. These bags come with rain covers.
Old 12-07-08, 06:13 AM
LucasA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Wind
I've heard that Deuter makes excellent backpacks. Their day packs all have dedicated laptop compartments, and one of them even comes with a removable sleeve. You can purchase rain covers for their bags as well. They also make a series of backpacks designed for alpine bike touring, which go by the name TransAlpine. These bags come with rain covers.
I have a Deuter Futura 28

https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...8_10000001_-1_

And its nothing short of amazing. The laptop compartment on this one is actually designed for a water bladder, so depending on what you are doing, you can change out.

It has an integrated rain cover that kept it bone dry through a thunderstorm I was walking in.

It has frame that keeps the pack off your back to help ventilate. Your back will sweat, but if you are wearing breathable fabric and this it really reduces it.

Awesome bag.
Old 12-07-08, 06:25 AM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
https://www.thewaterproofstore.com/backpacks.html
Old 12-07-08, 07:05 AM
JHG57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might also want to look at Backpacks designed for Motorcyclists since we have the same challenges. A link to one, but there are many https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/mobil...ptop-backpack/
Old 12-07-08, 07:06 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
To all, thanks for the responses so far!

I originally was attracted to the bags in my OP because they are larger than my current bag (that, combined with the fact that my current one doesn't have a waist/hip belt). But I now realize that extra volume would just be wasted space. It's all vertical, so I would have to put something on top of the books, and remove it every time I reached for a book, or put it under the books and have to remove the books to get to it.

Unless I get a bigger laptop w/17" screen, I don't need a bigger bag, just one that better designed. I could re-purpose my Dakine bag. (It's the Campus-Lg w/insulated cooler pocket). I could use that cooler pocket for the laptop's power cord, for example. But it would still be nice to have a 'pack w/waist belt.

I popped over to Jandd's site, and spotted their Admon 'pack. It is has just about all of the features that I'm looking for.
Old 12-07-08, 10:31 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
I own panniers and backpacks. Both are good and either will do, but I alway choose the backpack. No reason. Just do. I bought one online last year for cheap, and use an inexpensive cover in bad weather.
Old 12-07-08, 10:32 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I've used a Targus CityGear Chicago laptop backpack. While it is huge and definitely not suitable for cycling, I can testify that Targus sells well made backpacks.
Old 12-07-08, 11:24 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I've used a Targus CityGear Chicago laptop backpack. While it is huge and definitely not suitable for cycling, I can testify that Targus sells well made backpacks.
Thanks for the testimonial on Targus.

To those who question why I'm looking for a new backpack instead of panniers: practicality. Due to distances I have to cover and the work/school schedules, I currently am not using my bike for any part of the commute (feel free to flame me if you desire), but that will change when I can afford to put a hitch/rack on my wife's car. That cost can't be justified right now, so I have to plan accordingly.
Old 12-07-08, 11:35 PM
littlefoot

Bikes: Many all steel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not tried their stuff personally but 'detours' has some products that have been recomended to me in the past. Might check them out.
Old 12-08-08, 11:15 PM
joshwa

Bikes: 2008 Schwinn Fastback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i ride with a Targus backpack that is designed for laptops. don't carry a laptop just happened to have this bag sitting around. i like it because it is compact but will still hold a good amount of stuff and has wide padded shoulder straps. has a nice little padded area with velcro enclosure should i want to carry laptop. will probably be switching to topeak rack/bag combo this summer because of back sweat and other issues, but that's personal preference. if looking for a laptop bag i can highly recommend Targus.
Old 12-08-08, 11:20 PM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Deuter makes packs that work great on a bike.
Old 12-09-08, 07:05 AM
Zaneluke

Bikes: Trek Y-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the banjo bros large one. Love it, i can cram all sorts of junk in it.
Old 12-09-08, 07:36 AM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got one of these in black awhile back:
https://cgi.ebay.com/3-Day-ASSAULT-PA...3%3A1|294%3A50

has hip and chest support, a hydration pouch against the back that will fit a larger laptop, and pretty easy to organize. Comfortable to ride with on a bike, even loaded heavily thanks to thick straps and the supporting straps. I pretty much carry it everywhere.
Old 12-09-08, 11:24 AM
Pinyon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep it simple, and keep it safe. I would seriously consider getting a bike rack with a cheap trunk bag for most uses (can get both at used sports stores or attic sales for almost nothing). Most of the people that I know that carry a computer on the bike use a medium-to-large sized bike messenger bag, like the ones made by Timbuk2 (shoulder strap, with around-the-waist strap to keep it from sliding in front). They are waterproof too.

Old 12-09-08, 05:07 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Let me ask another question: Is it more practical to get a 'pack that has more organization, but is not waterproof (thus have to keep track of a rain cover), or a bag that is waterproof, but maybe not as versatile?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.