Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Southern Hemisphere - pics of end of Winter? or Spring?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 03:00 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,232 Posts

We in the North have lots of Summer and ‘Summer perhaps drawing to a close’.

Reverse the tables on us - with a pic or two.
if still snow skiing show that - and, praytell - state the location of your pleasure - cycling or anyotherwise

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-27-18 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 03:26 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Let's clarify a little. Yes, the temperature drops, but, in Australia, there is no fall, not the right sort of trees. There is normally rain, but not this year, judging by the singular lack of it. Snow? Yes, in the heights of the great divide, assuming the drought stops.

So, what do you want to see? Pictures of parched countryside, dying cattle, coral reef bleaching?
Old 08-27-18, 03:43 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,232 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Let's clarify a little. Yes, the temperature drops, but, in Australia, there is no fall, not the right sort of trees. There is normally rain, but not this year, judging by the singular lack of it. Snow? Yes, in the heights of the great divide, assuming the drought stops.

So, what do you want to see? Pictures of parched countryside, dying cattle, coral reef bleaching?
oh sorry.
my thread is not intended to be sarcastic or bombastic.

but you do live on a continent that is largely desert

how’s the water-skiing? Assuming you are near the fringes.
Old 08-27-18, 03:58 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What a crass, and remarkably ignorant, post. 80% of the Australian population do not live in the desert, but live in the temperate coastal areas, which extend hundreds of kilometers inland. I'll post a photo of a dead cow later, if you like.

Last edited by avole; 08-27-18 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 02:37 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I live in Australia, and have done for almost a decade now.

We do have all four seasons, despite what avole from France would have you believe, but the majority of native trees are evergreen ... it's the non-native trees (and one, that I know of, native species) that change colour in the autumn. Oh, and it's autumn, not fall.

Nevertheless it is winter here and will continue to be winter until September 1. It has been a particularly wet and cold winter, and over the past few days we've had snow down to about 200 metres, and hail/rain/sleet below that. I got hailed on during my walk between uni and work yesterday.

The daytime high managed to reach 8.8C with a "Feels Like" temp of 3C today.

Getting really tired of the cold and wet. Looking forward to some warmth, and just because spring starts on September 1 doesn't mean that the weather will get that memo. It won't likely starting warming up till October ... or November ... maybe December ...

And if you want photos ... here you go. An enormous collection of them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka...7644517168953/
Old 08-28-18, 02:52 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I live in Australia, and have done for almost a decade now.

We do have all four seasons, despite what avole from France would have you believe, but the majority of native trees are evergreen ... it's the non-native trees (and one, that I know of, native species) that change colour in the autumn. Oh, and it's autumn, not fall.

Nevertheless it is winter here and will continue to be winter until September 1. It has been a particularly wet and cold winter, and over the past few days we've had snow down to about 200 metres, and hail/rain/sleet below that. I got hailed on during my walk between uni and work yesterday.

The daytime high managed to reach 8.8C with a "Feels Like" temp of 3C today.

Getting really tired of the cold and wet. Looking forward to some warmth, and just because spring starts on September 1 doesn't mean that the weather will get that memo. It won't likely starting warming up till October ... or November ... maybe December ...

And if you want photos ... here you go. An enormous collection of them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka...7644517168953/
Interesting. My mother and sister have lived in Australia for 20+ years now and they both say they miss the change of seasons that we get here (in the UK). My sister lives a couple of hours South of Sydney on the edge of the Budawang National Park. They've seen no rain for a long time and are getting seriously worried about bush fires, which are not normally a problem at this time of year. They don't have mains water, having to rely on rainwater tanks, so lack of rain can be a real problem for them. If you want to see photos check out the gallery on her web site - she has a very good eye for a photo: Clyde River Retreat
Old 08-28-18, 03:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Environmental conditions entirely depends upon where you are in Australia. It's a big place!

While Tasmania is half frozen and soggy as right now, there are parts of Australia which are in drought and in a few places bushfires have already started. Those parts didn't get the usual winter rain this year.

-----------------------------
Some info about Australia

Mainland US and Australia are about the same land area ... and Canada is slightly larger.

US Population: 325,700,000

Canada Population: 36,290,000

Australia Population: 25 million ... I think we hit that a month or so ago.

List of countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia List of countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also ...

The US has 34 cities over 500,000 ...... and only 13% of the entire population of US live in those 34 cities.

Canada has 9 cities over 500,000 ...... and 44% of the entire population of Canada live in those 9 cities.

Australia has 6 cities over 500,000 ...... and 64% of the entire population of Australia live in those 6 cities. All 6 cities are near the coast, but there are smaller cities in various locations.

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of the 100 largest population centres in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia List of the 100 largest population centres in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of cities in Australia by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia List of cities in Australia by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a site with Vegetation maps of Australia.
https://soe.environment.gov.au/theme...6/vegetation-0

And this is a site with the population density in Australia ... so you can compare the two.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/t...stralia-2017-7

Of the nearly 10 years I've spent in Australia, about half the time has been in Victoria and about half in Tasmania ... with about 6 weeks in Queensland, 2 or 3 weeks in Western Australia, and some time in South Australia and NSW.

And Rowan was born and raised Australian.

Last edited by Machka; 08-28-18 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 04:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday another cold system moved in and has been here since, but Saturday was nice. It actually reached 17C!

This is a photo I took of the area we were cycling, and I was running on Saturday. Only the very brave ... or well decked out in wetsuits ... would have stuck a toe in the water.

Back in early winter (June 2)

Last edited by Machka; 08-28-18 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 08:03 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Machka, for a start I didn't say there were no seasons, only that they were different, milder, and not as clearly defined as they are here, because by far the majority of the trees on the continent do not drop their leaves. Of course, where Europeans planted European trees they still obstinately drop their leaves, but european tree numbers are nowhere near those of gum trees. You also rarely get frost in Melbourne, and certainly never in Sydney. The further north you go, the more tropical it gets, until you end up in Darwin which really has only two seasons.

As it happens, if you scan the NSW and Queensland papers, or if you talk to people from those states, they will confirm there is a devastating drought on at the moment. This isn't altogether unusual for Victoria or SA either, though I'm told that, in NE Victoria anyway, they've been lucky and have has some rain. Given the majority of the population lives in the eastern states, this is a major, if not the major, concern. Even the latest Prime Minister's first act, in an effort no doubt to win back some support for his party, was to visit a drought affected area.

Your photo I assume shows the Southern Ocean, which even in mid summer it isn't particularly warm. It's not until you get to the same latitude as Sydney the the Pacific begins to warm up and, for me anyway, would be tolerable for swimming. I'd also point out that Tasmania is a lot further south than Melbourne, so it's going to be colder and have a climate not that far off that in parts of the UK.

Last edited by StanSeven; 08-28-18 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Removed wording involving potential political argument
Old 08-28-18, 08:10 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

As I said ...

Originally Posted by Machka
Environmental conditions entirely depends upon where you are in Australia. It's a big place!

While Tasmania is half frozen and soggy as right now, there are parts of Australia which are in drought and in a few places bushfires have already started. Those parts didn't get the usual winter rain this year.

Of the nearly 10 years I've spent in Australia, about half the time has been in Victoria and about half in Tasmania ... with about 6 weeks in Queensland, 2 or 3 weeks in Western Australia, and some time in South Australia and NSW.

And Rowan was born and raised Australian.
Old 08-28-18, 05:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Frosty morning in Victoria!

https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...ent=SocialFlow

I see (from a weather site we use) it got down to -3 where Rowan and I used to live, about 100 km north-east of Melbourne.