Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

50 Middle School Bikes--Yet No Fenders!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 11:18 AM
thdave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was a nice day in Cleveland Monday. I took my son to the orthodontist in the morning and then dropped him off at school. I saw a ton of bikes--it was nice. Yet none had fenders! That stinks. The vast majority of us here agree that fenders are very useful when commuting.

I remember as a kid having fenders and never really appreciated them. I think other parents think the same. They got a bad rap. Yet, they have gotten quite a bit lighter and are very useful.

Kids who ride home in the rain don't know how fun/useful a bike can be and likely sour on them. Can we do something about this?
Old 05-08-07, 11:32 AM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 114 Posts
fenders are uncool. Sorry fred.
Old 05-08-07, 11:33 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was a wee one, riding my bike to school was definitely not "commuting". And fenders were so geeky. As a matter of fact, we used ride through puddles just to see how much water we could kick up and get ourselves all wet. Now that I'm a geek in my adult years, my perspective has changed.
Old 05-08-07, 11:35 AM
ekitel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icedmocha
fenders are very cool! bikes without fenders look stupid unless you are competing in, or training for some bicycle sporting event
Old 05-08-07, 11:36 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Maybe since it was a nice day they left their fendered rain bikes at home, that's what I do. Seriously though, being middle school I'd bet many of the bikes were BMX'ers. You just don't put fenders on a BMX bike.
Old 05-08-07, 11:37 AM
thimblescratch
Calixfornia dreamin'

Bikes: old one, mtn bike, Volta e-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's more a matter of having no idea what to look for when you go to buy a bike from a store, which is usually Walmart etc. I remember when I was about to leave for college, my parents and I went shopping for a bike and picked up a mountain bike as it was the only thing they made small enough. For youngsters, there are typically only 2 options, BMX or MTB and neither have fenders. I really doubt it's about them thinking fenders are dorky. But in any case, they usually have fun on any bike, kids don't start getting concerned about mud puddles until they're adults.
Old 05-08-07, 11:39 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats worse is I'm guessing that over half the bikes are full suspension Walmart specials. At least that is what I see at the schools and on the sidewalks in my neighborhood. I mean whats the point of a 20" wheel bike with 21 speeds and full suspension. The bike is going to be a tank to ride and likely break with only a little abuse.
Kids are young enough to put up with a stripe up there back as long as the bike looks cool. I think cool retro cruisers are the only way you are going to see and fenders on bikes at the school. Full suspension MTBs and 20" BMX bikes just don't look cool with fenders.

Still its promising that you saw so many bikes.

Craig
Old 05-08-07, 11:55 AM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How old are you? How do we get our kids to stop thinking as you do?

Seriously, there must be a way to getting people introduced to properly equipped bikes, like the ones most of us ride. Shouldn't it be done while they are young? Can't a "cool" bike be developed with some utility built into it?

I could see a bmx bike style with flared black fenders (now we're talkin') and a integrated rack--extra long. Department stores could have a special section of school kid's backpacks that have rack attachments. I guess I'm just dreaming here.
Old 05-08-07, 11:59 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A properly equipped bike? When I was a kid that meant banana seats, streamers on the handlebars, and playing cards laundry clipped to the bike, making noise in the spokes!
Old 05-08-07, 12:25 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by thimblescratch
I think it's more a matter of having no idea what to look for when you go to buy a bike from a store, which is usually Walmart etc.
I don't care where a bicycle shopper may go. The shopper will not find a bike made for children with fenders in the U.S.

Can someone name one outlet for kid's bikes or one bicycle (any type) being marketed in the U.S. for cyclists of middle school age that is equipped with fenders?
Old 05-08-07, 12:32 PM
aMull

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mud on your face and back is uncooler. And dumber.
Old 05-08-07, 12:33 PM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep.
https://www.schwinnbike.com/products/...ail.php?id=655
Sting-Rays still come with fenders.
Old 05-08-07, 12:35 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I don't know. In 1902, or or 1961, I don't remember, the first thing I did when I got my bike was take off the reflecters and fenders and other stuff that came on it. Fenders are not cool, like the cheap giant crappy plastic seat bag I ditched too.

Now I commute and love my fenders, but then I have very cool fenders.

BTW, if you really want to be upset, watch them leave and see how many don't wear helmets.
Old 05-08-07, 12:45 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, fenders are uncool. So are lights. I'm going to take all the body panels and lights off my car and drive around a bare frame at night. Maybe I'll paint it black too. That'll be SO COOL.

Or just maybe I have no clue.
Old 05-08-07, 12:59 PM
ragboy
actin' the foo

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uh, wrong. Riding a bike with no fenders indicates 1 of 2 things:

1) you use the bike only in fair weather, a.k.a. bike weenie; or
2) you're ignorant about the issue
Old 05-08-07, 01:01 PM
mtnwalker

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking that kids should think like adults? Big MISTAKE! Middleschool and High School is about fitting in and not looking like a dork, even if you look like one. Most common sense goes out the window to make your friends think you're cool. Not just bikes but everything else in life.

I remember hanging around guys in high school that I would not hang around with now. I did some stuff that I knew were wrong but I did them anyway to fit in. Peer pressure is a powerful and dangerous thing.
Old 05-08-07, 01:11 PM
ekitel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aMull
Mud on your face and back is uncooler. And dumber.
mud is an obvious one, there are other substances on city streets that you'd rather not try to identify much less get on you
Old 05-08-07, 01:15 PM
mtnwalker

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ekitel
mud is an obvious one, there are other substances on city streets that you'd rather not try to identify much less get on you
But those other substances that accumulates on my watter bottle adds flavor to my water. Black grit, yumm.
Old 05-08-07, 01:17 PM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnwalker
Thinking that kids should think like adults? Big MISTAKE! Middleschool and High School is about fitting in and not looking like a dork, even if you look like one. Most common sense goes out the window to make your friends think you're cool. Not just bikes but everything else in life.

I remember hanging around guys in high school that I would not hang around with now. I did some stuff that I knew were wrong but I did them anyway to fit in. Peer pressure is a powerful and dangerous thing.
I know what you mean yet backpacks are now cool but weren't when I was a kid. Things change and evolve. Parents have something to do with it, too.
Old 05-08-07, 01:17 PM
mikepop

Bikes: Marin Larkspur 1998

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I don't care where a bicycle shopper may go. The shopper will not find a bike made for children with fenders in the U.S.

Can someone name one outlet for kid's bikes or one bicycle (any type) being marketed in the U.S. for cyclists of middle school age that is equipped with fenders?
This bike has fenders, as do a lot of the other Diamondbacks:

https://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...d=8&itemid=206

I've seen these and similar in every LBS around here.
Old 05-08-07, 01:26 PM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ragboy
uh, wrong. Riding a bike with no fenders indicates 1 of 2 things:

1) you use the bike only in fair weather, a.k.a. bike weenie; or
2) you're ignorant about the issue
Jeez, who invited the nerd patrol? Oh, this is the Commuting Forum - an online community of people who bike to work. We are the nerd patrol.

I'm just guessing here, but I think icedmocha was referring to what a middle schooler might think. The reason you saw no fenders at the middle school is that they are indeed uncool. To a middle schooler. I'd be surprised if I saw mirrors too. Any recumbents?

Are fenders practical? Of course! Just be happy that there were bikes there at all.
Old 05-08-07, 01:32 PM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backpacks like kids carry to school now didn't exist when I was in school. So even without the "cool " factor, we couldn't carry one. I too remember taking fenders off my bike and hitting every water puddle I could find all the way up to 8th grade. Being a teacher I can attest every day that peer pressure is more powerful than common sense to most kids. Riding a bike with no fenders doesn't say a word about a kid's ignorance or being a "weenie". All it says is, "Hey, you got a cool bike!" in the child/adolescent mind.
Old 05-08-07, 01:33 PM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikepop
This bike has fenders, as do a lot of the other Diamondbacks:

https://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...d=8&itemid=206

I've seen these and similar in every LBS around here.
There are no (virtually none) cruiser style bikes being bought by kids. NONE. The bikes are all mountain bikes or bmx style.

Also, if you go to a WalMart or a Target or a Dick's and look at the bikes, you won't see any mountain or bmx bikes with fenders. The only one's with them, if any, are cruiser style, which kids won't be caught dead riding. You can go to a good quality LBS, too, and you won't see any.

Last edited by thdave; 05-08-07 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-08-07, 01:42 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
My 5 yr old rocks his fenders proudly, but he doesn't mind the training wheels either.

It was definitely a cruiser, practically w/ fins, that I learned on. Boy did I get a torrent of crap when the 6th grade finally hit. That was when the Huffy 10 spds came out.
Old 05-08-07, 01:47 PM
mtnwalker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjmillig
Being a teacher I can attest every day that peer pressure is more powerful than common sense to most kids. Riding a bike with no fenders doesn't say a word about a kid's ignorance or being a "weenie". All it says is, "Hey, you got a cool bike!" in the child/adolescent mind.
Agreed. Being a parent I sometimes wonder what the heck my kids were thinking or their classmates for that matter when I see them do something that to me is odd. But I've grown accustomed to making myself think back when I was a kid and see it through those kids eyes and you know what? What they are doing makes a sense. Maybe not to us but to them it does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.