Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

why is our society so lazy

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 12:49 PM
mrbike27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

why dont more americans bike to work. man nowonder we have the highest death rate of any nation. geez
Old 05-12-07, 12:54 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbike27
no wonder we have the highest death rate of any nation.
I doubt that. Just look at Sudan.
Old 05-12-07, 12:57 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll start (and I'm a clydesdale on my way out of the club)
* Suburban sprawl makes cycling a difficult method of transportation
* Obesity makes cycling a difficult method of transportation
* Not cycling makes for more obesity
Old 05-12-07, 01:17 PM
specq
King of the Ramsey Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man nowonder we have the highest death rate of any nation. geez
Well, we are tied for #1 at 100%.
Old 05-12-07, 01:37 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I agree that we're probably the laziest nation, but there's no way our death rate (I assume you mean low average age at death) is #1. Maybe among developed nations.
Old 05-12-07, 01:47 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NOT lazy, just dedicated to careers too much.I believe that far to many exhaust themselves indulging their children too. Instead of remaining happy healthy and sane,the dollar value of things is to high of a priority. Parents for example,ought to stay alive and well for their sake and the family,$$ and it's pursuit should be secondary. Besides us "lazy" Americans work more hours per year than Europe OR Japan.I can not accept your death rate statement and reserve comment. I DO AGREE with more riding for all !
Old 05-12-07, 01:57 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why dont more americans bike to work. man nowonder we have the highest death rate of any nation. geez
Why should we expect them to? We don't expect the elites on television to rides bikes, so why whould we expect the averge American? Just because you haven't noticed the ridiculousness of some celebrity on TV telling everyone else to drive less while that very same celebrity flies home on their personal private Boeing 707 jet, doesn't mean the average American hasn't. Gandhi never went around stabbing hundreds of people claiming that, just because he was the figurehead of the passive resistance movement, he wasn't obligated to actually practice passive resistance in any way. But somehow your instinct is to immediately blame the little people and fellate the rich and powerfull. geez
Old 05-12-07, 02:55 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by specq
Well, we are tied for #1 at 100%.
I thought the same thing when I read that.
Old 05-12-07, 03:26 PM
pj7
On Sabbatical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The simple truth is that people want to be lazy and don't want to ride a bicycle to work.
Doing less work is an instillment in the human mind and goes back thousands of years. Ever hear of the term "fat and happy"? When the Roman soldiers had finally completed their obligation to the military their idea of life-after-military was to sit and relax and become fat and happy, now that they were out of the military, they did not want to work anymore.
Advancements in society have made this easier now with communications and transportation.
The fact remains, more people don't bike to work because they simply don't want to. People can blame it on urban sprawl, weather, or whatever excuse they want. But not everyone in the suburbs lives 30 miles from work. Even the ones who live 3 miles from work and have a very upkept seperated bike path will still drive, simply because they want to.
Old 05-12-07, 04:25 PM
huge
In his altogether

Bikes: 198? Norco Magnum GT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unkchunk
... But somehow your instinct is to immediately blame the little people and fellate the rich and powerfull. geez
While I agree with the rest of your post, you are making a giant leap in logic with this statement. I think the OP was talking about American society in general. You're just putting words into his\her mouth. This statement probably highlights your class-based biases, not the OP's.

EDIT: After re-reading the OP, I don't see any blame being placed on anyone at all. It seems like (s)he is drawing a poorly worded comparison between low rates of activity and a high mortality rate.
Old 05-12-07, 05:06 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I cycle because I'm too lazy to drive my car in DC traffic.

Paul
Old 05-12-07, 05:10 PM
aMull

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by huge
You're just putting words into his\her mouth. This statement probably highlights your class-based biases, not the OP's.
Thats what i thought as well.
Old 05-12-07, 05:35 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by huge
While I agree with the rest of your post, you are making a giant leap in logic with this statement. I think the OP was talking about American society in general. You're just putting words into his\her mouth. This statement probably highlights your class-based biases, not the OP's.

EDIT: After re-reading the OP, I don't see any blame being placed on anyone at all. It seems like (s)he is drawing a poorly worded comparison between low rates of activity and a high mortality rate.
Okay... you got me. I'm just trying to get the dogs on the folks who are getting a complete pass on this one.
Old 05-12-07, 06:18 PM
le brad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of societies ills are a combination of pizza rolls, spiderman 2, and beer. At least most of my ills.
Old 05-12-07, 06:27 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
Give the man a cigar. It's really very simple...most people perceive cycling to work as too hard, too slow, too dirty, the distances too far, the weather too unfriendly and the roadways too dangerous.
Tying lack of commuting by bike to obesity isn't a fair claim. There are many people who commute by car or public transportation who are also physically fit, they just choose other means to achieve and maintain their fitness...running, walking, gyms, sports, etc.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-12-07, 06:27 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not really lazy as an entire society. I know many persons that would qualify as work-a-holics. That is not a sign of laziness but perhaps misplaced priorities in the rat race to acquire and consume. That and as a whole we consume way too much fatty foods and do not exercise enough to work it off. (duh)

Cycling to work is not for everyone and is not a miracle cure. However, it sure is fun if you are into it.
Old 05-12-07, 06:29 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,063 Posts
Like, so lazy they don't use capital letters?

Tom
Old 05-12-07, 06:48 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by ax0n
And obesity makes for more obesity. There's a learned helplessness that develops as you get fatter and fatter. I thank God - literally and figuratively - that I broke free from it and lost 138 pounds. Now if learning to ride a bike were only that easy....

Old 05-12-07, 07:40 PM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new
NOT lazy, just dedicated to careers too much.I believe that far to many exhaust themselves indulging their children too. Instead of remaining happy healthy and sane,the dollar value of things is to high of a priority. Parents for example,ought to stay alive and well for their sake and the family,$$ and it's pursuit should be secondary. Besides us "lazy" Americans work more hours per year than Europe OR Japan.I can not accept your death rate statement and reserve comment. I DO AGREE with more riding for all !
That, sir, is an excellent point.

Originally Posted by le brad
Most of societies ills are a combination of pizza rolls, spiderman 2, and beer. At least most of my ills.
Old 05-12-07, 07:45 PM
Bakemono

Bikes: '97 Cannondale Super V 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you live less than 5 miles away from where you work, cycling to work isnt practical.
I work in factory 8-10 hours a day and it is 22 miles away from my home. Are you going to bust your butt all day working in a factory, sweating your you know what off and then pedal your butt 22 miles home? Not me.
Not all of us have cushy office jobs...
Old 05-12-07, 07:54 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bakemono
Unless you live less than 5 miles away from where you work, cycling to work isnt practical.
I work in factory 8-10 hours a day and it is 22 miles away from my home. Are you going to bust your butt all day working in a factory, sweating your you know what off and then pedal your butt 22 miles home? Not me.
YES,absolutely,just do what you can, you probably do. Simply by cycling for fun rather than takin' a drive is a GOOD start ! You probably have that covered.
Old 05-12-07, 08:15 PM
pj7
On Sabbatical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bakemono
I work 13 hour shifts in a shop busting my 300 pound ass and pedal 25 miles a day to do it.
But I have a strong constitution and don't expect others to do as I do.
I'm just saying it *can* be done.
Old 05-12-07, 08:19 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Been commuting to work by bike since the mid-1950s. Where were you?
Old 05-12-07, 08:34 PM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Americans don't bike more in large part because our cities just aren't built for it. If we lived in a physically small country with lots of overcrowding, significantly more people would live closer to where they work, shop, and go to school. Urban sprawl would not be as likely or impossible. Houston is an excellent example. Lots of land means more spread every month, and all the ills that go with it. Riding a bike 20-30 miles one way to work on the freeway isn't real feasable. And Houston is WAY behind on mass transportation efforts like rail, bike rack on busses, etc. People can't and don't want to ride a bike for practicle transportation.
Old 05-12-07, 08:35 PM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Been commuting to work by bike since the mid-1950s. Where were you?
10 years away from entering the birth canal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.